Torridon 10th -14th May 2024

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
We have a little WhatsApp group which was started from meeting people and organising rides from the good folk on this forum ..and over the last couple of years or so we have had some great days out ..
The best though is yet to come ..only talked about on our ride in The Cheviots last Saturday it has quickly accelerated to accomodation being booked for four nights on the Torridon Estate in a self catering holiday cottage with seven riders confirmed as going ..
I can't fking wait !
This will be my fourth Torridon trip the first being back in 2010 when the area was just starting to get a glowing reputation for mountain biking ..but I've yet to experience any of these trails on an ebike ..its going to be absolutely awesome ..😍
Edit : now eight riders & fully booked 😁

Last edited:

Jase

Subscriber
Apr 22, 2022
UK
My favourite place to ride. Emtb is a game changer with the climbs. Had trips up there the last two years. Slight change of plan this year and heading to the Cairngorms for a change of scene. Did the Torridon classic loop, but my favourite ride was a loop from Dundonnel to Poolewe across the Fisher fields. 50 ish miles, but amazing. Enjoy 🚵‍♀️

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
My favourite place to ride. Emtb is a game changer with the climbs. Had trips up there the last two years. Slight change of plan this year and heading to the Cairngorms for a change of scene. Did the Torridon classic loop, but my favourite ride was a loop from Dundonnel to Poolewe across the Fisher fields. 50 ish miles, but amazing. Enjoy 🚵‍♀️
Cheers Jase ..I'm sure we will..most of the lads haven't had the pleasure yet and for me it will be a different experience on the ebike ..havent done the Dundonnel / Poolewe ride ..but it looks good ...
The classic loop is on the agenda as is Applecross ( my favourite ) there & back and given time on returning a section beyond Toscaig which I've ridden while on a family holiday a few years back ..the other ride in the area is up for discussion ..but prior to heading south on the last day we were considering diverting across to Tarland ..90 miles away but when you are that "close" in terms of where we would normally have to travel from ..it surely has to be done ?
I've also ridden in the Cairngorms which is equally fantastic using both Aviemore & Ballater as bases on two separate week long trips ..
It's a magical area the Highlands and I'm counting the days until I get there again ..as I'm sure you are too..
Have fun 👍🏻

Jase

Subscriber
Apr 22, 2022
UK
Our planned Cairngorms rides are:
Tarland Trails
Heartbreak Ridge
Sgor Gaoith

We did Beinn Damh which is from the Torridon Inn (16 miles ish) if your after a smaller ride that was good fun. On our last ride we drove across to Golspie which is a massive descent. We have Applecross penned in for next time we are up that way good to hear a recommendation 👍

IMG_6495.jpeg

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
Ben Damph can literally be done from the cottage door where we are staying on the Torridon Estate ..and would be the ideal warm up as the first ride ..I havent done that loop before..I'm also interested in The Slattadale Rockride route described in this book
1000005383.jpg

...although starting from Gairloch ( not Slattadale )
..I've also got to consider what the other lads want to do its their trip as much as mine 😀 .

big_scot_nanny

Subscriber
Nov 23, 2022
Scotland
I was there for the first time (ever!) in August last year. Agree that ebikes are a game changer. Loved the whole experience, stayed at Sheildaig campsite (superb!), but I must admit it was Hard. hard with a. capital H. They are big days out in the middle of absolutely nowhere.

Torridon Lollipop was done one day, and Ben Damph the next. There were glorious moments, but I must admit that the horrific hike a bike of hell up from Corrie Grannda, in the rain with no wind and absolutely unforgettably horrendous clouds of midgies is burned into the memory!
1708532552308.jpeg

1708532972941.jpeg

But then, of course, the sun came out, and then... wow.

1708532649454.jpeg

Looking back up the valley - the descent is worth it, but it is not for the faint hearted - lots or rubble and tricky bits, and is very committing. We took it easy, really not wanting to contribute to a story on the news about idiots with broken bones in the middle of nowhere.

1708532760090.jpeg

It is epic in every sense. Loved being there as the geology is so different to other parts of Scotland. Lovely.

Look, we're enjoying it!
1708533688195.jpeg

Also, not wanting to come across as a preachy twat, and it sounds like you know the area OP, but for anyone else reading this these are big days out in remote areas, so plan, prep and execute accordingly.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
I was there for the first time (ever!) in August last year. Agree that ebikes are a game changer. Loved the whole experience, stayed at Sheildaig campsite (superb!), but I must admit it was Hard. hard with a. capital H. They are big days out in the middle of absolutely nowhere.

Torridon Lollipop was done one day, and Ben Damph the next. There were glorious moments, but I must admit that the horrific hike a bike of hell up from Corrie Grannda, in the rain with no wind and absolutely unforgettably horrendous clouds of midgies is burned into the memory!
View attachment 134947
View attachment 134951
But then, of course, the sun came out, and then... wow.

View attachment 134948

Looking back up the valley - the descent is worth it, but it is not for the faint hearted - lots or rubble and tricky bits, and is very committing. We took it easy, really not wanting to contribute to a story on the news about idiots with broken bones in the middle of nowhere.

View attachment 134950

It is epic in every sense. Loved being there as the geology is so different to other parts of Scotland. Lovely.

Look, we're enjoying it!
View attachment 134952

Also, not wanting to come across as a preachy twat, and it sounds like you know the area OP, but for anyone else reading this these are big days out in remote areas, so plan, prep and execute accordingly.
Your planning should have extended to riding there either in early May or late September ..for a midgie free experience 😉😁..
I wouldn't like to count the number of years riding that exists within our group..all gnarly mountain men ...but your advice is sound and accidents can happen anywhere and at any time ..
I'm guessing you will be back again ..its got that kind of pull..

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
This trip is getting closer now ..but it is with a heavy heart that I want to pay tribute to Richy Walker who tragically passed away on April 1st after a very short illness.
Richy was a much loved part of our small riding group and the first to " sign up" for this trip..always so enthusiastic & positive and a shit-hot rider to boot its so hard to believe he won't be riding with us..
First & foremost though a family man and our thoughts are very much with you right now 💔
R.I.P Richy ..you will be greatly missed ..

billwarwick

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 1, 2018
warwick
This trip is getting closer now ..but it is with a heavy heart that I want to pay tribute to Richy Walker who tragically passed away on April 1st after a very short illness.
Richy was a much loved part of our small riding group and the first to " sign up" for this trip..always so enthusiastic & positive and a shit-hot rider to boot its so hard to believe he won't be riding with us..
First & foremost though a family man and our thoughts are very much with you right now 💔
R.I.P Richy ..you will be greatly missed ..

Terrible news

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles