Torque:On 2024. To buy or not to buy?

Bjonok

Sep 28, 2019
Norway
As the Strive:On gets rave reviews the Torque:On does not.

The feedback I've read touches issues like old motor, not as agile as the Strive: On, and basically made for bikeparks only.
So, I've recently won big on the horses, and I thought on giving the Torque:ON CFR Roczen a try. But now all the bad rep has gotten to me. Especially the old Shimano-motor compared to the Bosch on the Strive:On.

I've ridden downhill bikes only my whole life, but now I want a more versatile ebike for trail and also some semi-downhill riding. I know I can't get everything I wish for in one bike, but I really liked the specs and looks of the Torque:On.

My previous bike was the Kenevo Expert that ended up being too much for me. Large as a house (S5), heavy and not very agile in my local trails.

So what would you guys do? Is the Torque:On a good bike for some slightly ruff trails, crossing mountains/standard trails and som downhill-action, or should I take my business elsewhere?

And yes... that moto-look kinda hit home for me.

Thank you for any advice on this matter :)

Last edited:

Myalteregohamish

Jan 4, 2023
Vancouver, WA

The feedback I've read touches issues like old motor, not as agile as the Strive: On, and basically made for bikeparks only.
So, I've recently won big on the horses, and I thought on giving the Torque:ON CFR Roczen a try. But now all the bad rep has gotten to me. Especially the old Shimano-motor compared to the Bosch on the Strive:On.

I've ridden downhill bikes only my whole life, but now I want a more versatile ebike for trail and also some semi-downhill riding. I know I can't get everything I wish for in one bike, but I really liked the specs and looks of the Torque:On.

My previous bike was the Kenevo Expert that ended up being too much for me. Large as a house (S5), heavy and not very agile in my local trails.

So what would you guys do? Is the Torque:On a good bike for some slightly ruff trails, crossing mountains/standard trails and som downhill-action, or should I take my business elsewhere?

Isn’t there a 30 day return policy? You could just do what I’m doing , mine arrives Wednesday. Although I ride steep and upsetting trails. ;-)

Mart-e

Dec 13, 2020
Australia
I’d be keen to hear a little more ride info with the Torque design potential….. Strive being offered in design as leaning with the race bike qualities…… I’m not to concerned on motor breeds types, I’d be focusing towards on the Torques design offerings in plush planted suspension to plough through holding smooth at pace to change stable in directions to send jumps…. all the while motor on back up…..

Myalteregohamish

Jan 4, 2023
Vancouver, WA
yeah, I think I’m in the same boat. I want to make sure there’s an appreciated difference between my 170/150 travel bike and the torque. my thought was, I didn’t wanna have too much overlap between the two bikes. Which is something I’m learning about eMTBs. You kind of have to have two of them because somethings eventually gonna go wrong with the motor. I’m on my fourth motor on my kenevo SL since January. To me that’s unacceptable. That said, It arrives tomorrow and I’m gonna go out and ride it tomorrow evening. I’ll check back in here with some information.

hansfrans

Jun 28, 2020
Earth

It should already come with the newer version of EP8 (EP801) and the people I know (those who don't read forums and all that nerdy stuff) with the older version of that motor are totally happy with it and never think about what else might be stronger, more or less "natural" and that blablabla. So if you like that bike, I'd say just get it.
Only thing speaking against it is that you were not happy with the Kenevo because I wouldn't expect the Torque:eek:n to be or feel lighter or more of a trail bike. But again: maybe just ride and don't think about in what category some marketing departments or reviewers put it? :)

Myalteregohamish

Jan 4, 2023
Vancouver, WA
It should already come with the newer version of EP8 (EP801) and the people I know (those who don't read forums and all that nerdy stuff) with the older version of that motor are totally happy with it and never think about what else might be stronger, more or less "natural" and that blablabla. So if you like that bike, I'd say just get it.
Only thing speaking against it is that you were not happy with the Kenevo because I wouldn't expect the Torque:eek:n to be or feel lighter or more of a trail bike. But again: maybe just ride and don't think about in what category some marketing departments or reviewers put it? :)
You’re absolutely right. To add to that it’s a kenevo SL, so I was already struggling to keep up. And I do prefer the natural feel more so than the big push. But you’re right you get used what you have and don’t really think about things much unless it’s a genuine problem.

Myalteregohamish

Jan 4, 2023
Vancouver, WA
Still getting used to the bike. I’ve done two 2hr+ rides in the last two days. Some initial observations. Thea trails are technical, rocky, have a combo of drops jumps mix of loose and loam.
  1. The bike soaks up a ton of terrain, I’m coming from a KSL which already soaked up the terrain. This does that same thing but more.
  2. Finding a neutral position on this bike places me less forward and more centered. When I’m centered on the bike I can really carry much more speed through flow back to back burms.
  3. What they say about this bike wanting to go fast is no joke. This bike does better around 20+. So much so that I’ve had to rethink typical breaking points. I also find myself aiming further out of natural jumps in the trails.
  4. I am comfortably clearing sections in the air with less effort. I think the suspension design and setup is a big contributor on this bike to how much support I’m getting off the lips of jumps.
  5. Motor rattle is kind of there, but the bike is pretty silent climbing and descending. The motor feels awesome, sounds so smooth. I notice the rattle if I look for it but on descents you never hear it beyond 10 mph and even lower if you in tech or rock section. The tires I hear more. The rear hub is basically silent on trail. It’s so odd how quiet this bike is.
  6. Seated riding position with the dropper down feels like you’re sitting on a 125cc moto. Just lower to ground.
  7. Pedal strikes are an issue if you’re like me do a fair bit of hauling ads through twisty forest trails while pedaling I ordered a set of 155mm Miranda’s. But you do get used to where strikes happen and work around them.
  8. I’m still not satisfied with the way my shock feels so I’m going back to fox’s recommended setup and adjusting slowly from there.
  9. 900wh battery is crazy cool, I run out of juice well before it does. Ride it the first day in full blast on profile two for 2.5hrs and still had 25% left. Yesterday had in trail on profile one rode for 2.5hrs had 40% left and I’m 185lbs.
  10. Shimano ride app for one reason or another doesn’t show wattage/calories burned So I’ll contact canyon about that.
  11. Unlike the euro version that we’ve seen in videos they’re not shipping tue canyon rear mud guard or the fox front mudguard. I contacted canyon about that they didn’t have a good answer other than it’ll probably be for sale at some point.
  12. Shifting is awesome shimano is rock solid on that dept.
  13. I cannot underscore enough how intense riding this bike is, it’s fun, challenging and wants you to ride it fast.
  14. The weight is not noticeable and changes direction with consistent input to the handle bars.
  15. They shipped with a 2.6 inch in the rear and a 2.5 inch in the front, which is typically the reverse of what I’ve become accustomed to on a mountain bike. It does seem to work well when you lean it over while keeping your weight centered. I found that the traction I can retain is much more consistent when pushing the side lugs into the ground.
I would say in general, you can tell a bike is good when you wake up in the morning and you’re excited about going out to ride it. Immediately after that you think what trails can I go? Try this bike out on. I can add to this list of initial observations as I learn more. Overall, I give it a thumbs up, I’m very happy with Canyon support. They are very easy to get a hold of and it feels like you’re talking rider to rider when you’re on the phone or in chat with them. My only complaint is that the bike came without grease applied and some key spots. The first is the headset cop has a rubber flange to keep dirt out, I had to remove the headset to apply grease on top and bottom of those rubber flanges to get the creaking to stop. The other place where Grace needs to be applied is to the bolt touch points/contact points and all the pivot areas in the suspension in the rear. That was a simple as a paint brush with grease and loosening up and re-tightening those suspension bolts. Once I did that the bike is completely silent. Let me know if you have any questions.

Bjonok

Sep 28, 2019
Norway
This is really hard. I’ve ordered the Strive:On CRF but the Torque:On keeps calling me in my sleep.

My local trail is kinda narrow, is a mix of demanding rockgardens to small areas of singletrack and areas with alot of roots. I would not say that it is especially flowy and far away from bikeparks. Also it is used by people walking/ jogging. In other words not a place you’d be bombing down the trails.

The Strive: On gets so much praise, but coming from downhill the Torque:On has something about it that just seems right. The Strive:On is like the Foo Fighters but the Torque:On is like Mastodon.

Thank you all for all the good advice, and I bet I’d be happy with both, but something deep inside me wants to call Canyon for an upgrade. But is it too much for these narrow trails?

These are my local trails btw (Relevant part is from 1:23, and it’s not me riding it)

Myalteregohamish

Jan 4, 2023
Vancouver, WA
Interesting you should ask about that, I just rode with a friend of mine yesterday who rides very fast down, but he also rides very fast uphill. It’s my kind of riding tight switchbacks, and what not. In this case we went to a trail system that’s unmarked and very tight and narrow, not traveled heavily. I was a little concerned that the bike may be too big for how tight these trails were. It was quite the opposite. I was able to move the bike and around very easily. The only times I made mistakes is where there was a divergence in the trail. For instance, one part of the trail goes one way another part of the trail goes another way and I second-guess things and the front tire would lose grip. That only happened twice in 2 1/2 hours of riding. I was very happy with the performance especially once I got the rear shock set up correctly. I set it up just as fox describes did not deviate from their standard set up. I’ll likely make minor modifications to things like high speed rebound , only when I can identify the problem the calls for it but as far as tight single track stuff I was very impressed with the performance of the bike. Which I was mainly concerned with when I bought it without having ridden it first.

as an update to my post yesterday, after setting up the shot correctly, I had a little to no pedal strikes. The one thing I didn’t notice is that the standard bars are 30 millimeters, and I swap them for some carbon 35 mills that I have from renthal. Those rentals I’m pretty familiar with it made the bike much more familiar to me. My problem is always been. I’m happy with the bike I would normally ride 60% of the time is the 40% of the time that I find myself doing challenging, terrain, either rocky steep, or a combination of all those and I want a bigger bike more suited for steep And technical terrain. So I’m happy to swap it around and adapt my riding style to the 60% why I don’t necessarily have to have a bruiser of a bike to be able to have a bike that gives me confidence when I need it the other 40% of the time .

The trails in the video look very similar to the ones I normally ride. Rocky, rooty and steep. I don’t think you’d have a problem with either bike. For me personally, I chose the torque:eek:n (XL) mainly because I want to progress and get more aggressive do more challenging things, I didn’t want to second-guess my own confidence by not having a bike that can support, what I want to do.

Th3bill

Subscriber
Oct 8, 2023
NY, USA
So, just got myself a new Torque On. Absolute beastly built bike. Wish I'd been able to ride it more since I got it, but after riding up and down the street a few times, I decided to do an update and managed to brick the motor since update failed at 42%. Waiting for shop to get the adapter so I can hook up their PCE02 to my bike and get it sorted out.
Only gripe about the bike so far is that it's still based on the ep800 motor, which at this time has almost no practical ability to use DI2 shifting. I say that because it's incompatible with the M8150 bits for 12 speed and the M8050 11 speed bits that DO work with it have exactly zero Microspline cassette options. I know I could always choose to use an XD cassette, but then I lose the smooth shifting of Hyperglide+. Mildly annoying.
Maybe I'll look into the viability of swapping out the EP800 with an EP801 at some point...who knows? LOL

Efrosty

Oct 10, 2023
US
Interesting you should ask about that, I just rode with a friend of mine yesterday who rides very fast down, but he also rides very fast uphill. It’s my kind of riding tight switchbacks, and what not. In this case we went to a trail system that’s unmarked and very tight and narrow, not traveled heavily. I was a little concerned that the bike may be too big for how tight these trails were. It was quite the opposite. I was able to move the bike and around very easily. The only times I made mistakes is where there was a divergence in the trail. For instance, one part of the trail goes one way another part of the trail goes another way and I second-guess things and the front tire would lose grip. That only happened twice in 2 1/2 hours of riding. I was very happy with the performance especially once I got the rear shock set up correctly. I set it up just as fox describes did not deviate from their standard set up. I’ll likely make minor modifications to things like high speed rebound , only when I can identify the problem the calls for it but as far as tight single track stuff I was very impressed with the performance of the bike. Which I was mainly concerned with when I bought it without having ridden it first.

as an update to my post yesterday, after setting up the shot correctly, I had a little to no pedal strikes. The one thing I didn’t notice is that the standard bars are 30 millimeters, and I swap them for some carbon 35 mills that I have from renthal. Those rentals I’m pretty familiar with it made the bike much more familiar to me. My problem is always been. I’m happy with the bike I would normally ride 60% of the time is the 40% of the time that I find myself doing challenging, terrain, either rocky steep, or a combination of all those and I want a bigger bike more suited for steep And technical terrain. So I’m happy to swap it around and adapt my riding style to the 60% why I don’t necessarily have to have a bruiser of a bike to be able to have a bike that gives me confidence when I need it the other 40% of the time .

The trails in the video look very similar to the ones I normally ride. Rocky, rooty and steep. I don’t think you’d have a problem with either bike. For me personally, I chose the torque:eek:n (XL) mainly because I want to progress and get more aggressive do more challenging things, I didn’t want to second-guess my own confidence by not having a bike that can support, what I want to do.
Any reason you got the CF8 versus the Roczen model? Anybody on here tried that model. I’m looking it for a couple of reasons, 1 I’m looking for a bike with suspension adjustable enough to soak up roots and rocks on the trails around here. I don’t downhill and mainly ride trails but to the point where my 140mm setup is like riding a jack hammer. Wearing my watch to track the ride, bruised the back of my hand it with all the chop on the trails and bike not able to absorb the chop. I want to be able to just go ride and have it soak up roots, rocks and chop like being on a mx bike. I’m assuming a spring shock will give that kind adjustment. 2nd, the AXS shifter, absolutely despise trying to adjust the cables when they stretch and also road bike and the shifting was great.

The shimano negative out now, I don’t get it. My current BMC and wife’s Scott from 2019 have been nothing but great. I actually went riding last weekend and got to ride a cannondale LT with the Bosch. Nice bike but in eco mode which I ride, mine had more juice. Course could have been an adjustment on the road, put it in emtb and Bosch was nice, but I just didn’t feel the difference and Shimano I think felt a little more natural and again mine is the E8000, not the EP8 and even if there isn’t much difference, think I’d be happy.

But more important looking for a bike with plush suspension that soaks up roots and chop. Also looking at the YT Decoy Uncaged 10 as these two seem to be the best value out there. Would appreciate anymore feedback from others with this bike.

Myalteregohamish

Jan 4, 2023
Vancouver, WA
I think the main reason I got the CF8 versus the Roxson was Price. I think by default though most bikes with a coil the default characteristic is plush. I was looking for something a bit more adjustable. That’s why I got the CF8. That said, as far as the motor goes, I really enjoy the Shimano. It feels very natural. I modified Eco mode to make it a bit more top and powerful but I haven’t match my efforts giving it a much more linear feel as the power comes on. Eco-mode works for me 90% of the time . I ride the CF8 pretty hard and I would say it does a good job of staying planted while soaking up rocks and roots. I’m running in Stravas top 10 in most segments around the Portland Oregon area and I’ve set all those fastest top 10 times on this bike.

Efrosty

Oct 10, 2023
US
I think the main reason I got the CF8 versus the Roxson was Price. I think by default though most bikes with a coil the default characteristic is plush. I was looking for something a bit more adjustable. That’s why I got the CF8. That said, as far as the motor goes, I really enjoy the Shimano. It feels very natural. I modified Eco mode to make it a bit more top and powerful but I haven’t match my efforts giving it a much more linear feel as the power comes on. Eco-mode works for me 90% of the time . I ride the CF8 pretty hard and I would say it does a good job of staying planted while soaking up rocks and roots. I’m running in Stravas top 10 in most segments around the Portland Oregon area and I’ve set all those fastest top 10 times on this bike.
Thank you, yeah having a hard time justifying 8499 for a medium without at least the EP801. Curious, I would think a coil shock, ie like on a MX bike would be have more adjustability than just air alone. However, you have to get the spring right and isn't as convenient and easy to adjust as maybe an air shock. I'm just trying to figure out if I can ride at 8 to 10mph over roots and rocks a setup that can absorb and be plush. The motor, if it's as good as the E8000 I had in my bike, I can't really ask for much more. My age, I'm not trying to break records, just be able to get on a bike and have and not lose a filling during the process. I may call them and have a talk. Appreciate the insight!

Koban

Oct 15, 2023
Germany
I did go for a Torque ON CF9. (black) did not like the coulers of the Roczen. Also the CF9 had 1000 euro discount. The FOX X2 Factory air shock is really great. But I wanted a coil for more liniar feel. Installed the Ohlins TTX22M.2. The FOX X2 is a really good air shock for this bike.

Made quit a lot of changes to the bike. Also changed the drive train to SRAM XX Transmission, AXS 170mm dropper, Magura MT7 raceline (yellow) brakes with XTR M9120 levers and MDR-P 203mm rotors. And DT carbon wheels (HXC 1501 35mm). Most of the parts I all ready had in house.

Next to the 900 battery I also have two 720 batteries. My choice for this bike is the 720 battery. Makes the bike more playful.

rxkousuBcNvbK9RA4iRvwpt5.jpg

Last edited:

Efrosty

Oct 10, 2023
US
I did go for a Torque ON CF9. (black) did not like the coulers of the Roczen. Also the CF9 had 1000 euro discount. The FOX X2 Factory air shock is really great. But I wanted a coil for more liniar feel. Installed the Ohlins TTX22M.2. The FOX X2 is a really good air shock for this bike.

Made quit a lot of changes to the bike. Also changed the drive train to SRAM XX Transmission, AXS 170mm dropper, XTR breaks and rotors. And DT carbon wheels (HXC 1501 35mm). Most of the parts I all ready had in house.

Next to the 900 battery I also have two 720 batteries. My choice for this bike is the 720 battery. Makes the bike more playful.

Thanks for the reply, yes I want to try the SRAM AXS drive train as well and leaning towards a coil. I can live with the Kroc colors and seems like the route you went ends up being about the same cost. Questions, do you miss a 29” in the rear. I don’t care about playfulness, I just ride and pedal for exercise. Also, on roots, small chop etc, is the suspension plush? Meaning if you’re hitting this stuff at about 8 to 10mp, is it harsh and abrupt on your wrists?. That’s really my main goal if I get a new bike. Just want to ride trails and not feel it through my joints.

Efrosty

Oct 10, 2023
US
P.S. I like the 29” to get over rocks, up transitions etc and again could care less about playfulness.

Koban

Oct 15, 2023
Germany
What you describe I would not choose for a Torque On. I would look towards a Neuron On or maybe a Spectral ON. This one's are more paddle friendly ;-). The Torque ON is not a long distance pedaling machine. It is a fun machine for technical descents, jumps and drops :cool: The Spectral ON is also a nice fun machine and also offer enough comfort for longer paddling. Also survives a 3,5m high drop / road gap. Where the Neuron is more made for normal trail riding and paddling.

The (FOX, RockShox etc...) air suspension you can tweak as much as you like. First step get the right sag. Then set the rebound etc. When you still bottom out to fast or to often. You can play with volume tokens. Coil chock is not a Must have when I read your reply.

I like the mullet setup from the Spectral ON and Torque On for my style of riding. This is the reason I did choose for these bikes.

And it is not only the comfort of the bike. But also your own position on the bike. That is absorbing the bumps etc...

Efrosty

Oct 10, 2023
US
What you describe I would not choose for a Torque On. I would look towards a Neuron On or maybe a Spectral ON. This one's are more paddle friendly ;-). The Torque ON is not a long distance pedaling machine. It is a fun machine for technical descents, jumps and drops :cool: The Spectral ON is also a nice fun machine and also offer enough comfort for longer paddling. Also survives a 3,5m high drop / road gap. Where the Neuron is more made for normal trail riding and paddling.

The (FOX, RockShox etc...) air suspension you can tweak as much as you like. First step get the right sag. Then set the rebound etc. When you still bottom out to fast or to often. You can play with volume tokens. Coil chock is not a Must have when I read your reply.

I like the mullet setup from the Spectral ON and Torque On for my style of riding. This is the reason I did choose for these bikes.

And it is not only the comfort of the bike. But also your own position on the bike. That is absorbing the bumps etc...
Thanks, I have a Mx back ground and playing with suspension setup. I’ve just not found plushness in air in any form in a e-bike so far so why I was thinking about a coil. Strive:eek:n looks like what I would go with, 170mm and bosh but not sure when it’s coming to the US. I’m looking at the YT Core and Uncaged 10, Fezzari etc as well. Gas Gas bikes coming out looks sweet as well. Quite frankly I’m also considering something like the Quietkat just to have a variety to pedal or twist when I want to have some fun. But saying that, so far trying the normal trail bikes, suspension just isn’t there or what I’ve tried so far in the 140 to 150mm range so why I’m looking at the Enudro or more. Been mountain bike riding for about 27 years on and off, e-bikes the past 5. Started out Cannondale lefties when younger but then start progressing. Went to e-bikes with age and love them. So now with the adjustability of power delivery, going to try more travel for more to play with. But think if I do try the torque, I may go your route and then if I can’t get what i want plushness, try a coil options as well. I’ve read and listened to so much from bike shops etc, here’s where I’m at. If you have roots, chop that’s 1 to 3’s, you’re going to have to have around 6” of travel to to try and absorb the low speed chop. Think Trophy truck going through models and the suspension is working overtime and the truck is level. I’m looking for something where the suspension absorbs the shock and not my joints anymore. Appreciate your insight, Will look at the spectral: if it’s more than 150mm of travel.

Last edited:

Th3bill

Subscriber
Oct 8, 2023
NY, USA
First ride today on my new Torque On. Absolutely amazing bike. I’m a bit of an oddball, so I’m sure this bike as an all around do-all isn’t something most would consider.
However, I’m also a guy who believes that it may not always be what they may have intended the bike to do so much as how it feels for the given ride. I’m the guy who in 2021 and 2022 was racing a dual coil spring Sworks Enduro (170/170 travel) in XC races in south Florida.
The trails were wet from rain last night and covered in a ton of leaves, so it wasn’t h toe fastest ride I’ve ever had, but it gave me an opportunity to put it through the paces. I’m still getting the suspension sorted out, but it felt so nice out on the trails. I had been worried about the low bottom bracket and pedal strikes…it was needless. I worried it would be like pushing a sled uphill to climb the mountain I was riding. It felt great. The length didn’t feel like an issue in the switchbacks. It felt very familiar to my Enduro…but better.
So I guess if you’re still considering this bike, I do have to say it’s all about what you’re comfortable with and what you want to do.
I’m very happy with my purchase View attachment IMG_7176.jpeg

Efrosty

Oct 10, 2023
US
First ride today on my new Torque On. Absolutely amazing bike. I’m a bit of an oddball, so I’m sure this bike as an all around do-all isn’t something most would consider.
However, I’m also a guy who believes that it may not always be what they may have intended the bike to do so much as how it feels for the given ride. I’m the guy who in 2021 and 2022 was racing a dual coil spring Sworks Enduro (170/170 travel) in XC races in south Florida.
The trails were wet from rain last night and covered in a ton of leaves, so it wasn’t h toe fastest ride I’ve ever had, but it gave me an opportunity to put it through the paces. I’m still getting the suspension sorted out, but it felt so nice out on the trails. I had been worried about the low bottom bracket and pedal strikes…it was needless. I worried it would be like pushing a sled uphill to climb the mountain I was riding. It felt great. The length didn’t feel like an issue in the switchbacks. It felt very familiar to my Enduro…but better.
So I guess if you’re still considering this bike, I do have to say it’s all about what you’re comfortable with and what you want to do.
I’m very happy with my purchase View attachment 127130
Nice, not sure if you have roots and small rough chop like rocks etc, but if so, how was the suspension, in particular through your wrists? I know you have to finish setting up but is it or do you think you could make it plush vs a 140 to 150mm travel equivalent? I'm thinking 170 or 180mm is going to be a required to try and get what I'm looking for. Glad to hear it does well on other things as well. Currently watching the price and also seeing if they are finally going to release the Strive On with the bosch here in the US before pulling the trigger.

Th3bill

Subscriber
Oct 8, 2023
NY, USA
Nice, not sure if you have roots and small rough chop like rocks etc, but if so, how was the suspension, in particular through your wrists? I know you have to finish setting up but is it or do you think you could make it plush vs a 140 to 150mm travel equivalent? I'm thinking 170 or 180mm is going to be a required to try and get what I'm looking for. Glad to hear it does well on other things as well. Currently watching the price and also seeing if they are finally going to release the Strive On with the bosch here in the US before pulling the trigger.

I’m in the central Adirondack region of NY. It’s a mix of small rocks and gravel, roots and choppy rock gardens, and flat smooth groomed dirt.
The suspension did a great job of keeping the bike tracked well while keeping my hands from feeling like I’d been operating a jackhammer.
I still have to adjust it a little and will be installing a OneUp e-handlebar and DMR death grips (the stock ones are a bit thin for my XL hands).
Super happy with my purchase. I had a smile on my face all day. It was fun on the up, the flat, and the down.
One thing I was surprised by was some to in the motor did that many have complained (not just on this bike, but the EP800 in general) that it didn’t have an “overrun” when you stop pedaling. They must have changed it in an update, as I found when I would stop pedaling, there was a little push that the motor would give which often helped with finishing clearing some obstacles.

Efrosty

Oct 10, 2023
US
The suspension did a great job of keeping the bike tracked well while keeping my hands from feeling like I’d been operating a jackhammer
The suspension did a great job of keeping the bike tracked well while keeping my hands from feeling like I’d been operating a jackhammer.
Perfect, thanks. Exactly what I'm looking to address and I've about to come to the conclusion there is no shot of this with less than 170+ mm travel fork that has good damping and adjustability for low speed. Did you get the CF8 or the CF Roczen?

Th3bill

Subscriber
Oct 8, 2023
NY, USA

Well, I was the one who got the last available CF9. In the end, it was spaced way too good for me to pass up. Literally the only thing that came close was the YT Decoy, but it was a grand more for similar spec.
My thought is this. If suspension is your biggest concern, the CF8 is a great buy, as I’m a bum if fan of the Shimano 12 speed drivetrain both in shifting and durability, so that’s a leg up in my view. The SLX brakes are actually quite good as well and have same power as the XT just simpler less frills packaging.
The suspension being a Fox X2 and 38 performance could easily net you about $1000 and you could buy whatever coil based product you like with the $1000 from the fork and shock and the $2700 difference in prices of the bikes.

I’m a HUGE Ohlins fan and would say you could go the RXF38 fork (which can do both coil and air and be swapped back and forth without issue) as well as a TTX2 coil shock and spend probably in the range of $1600ish with the spring that’s right for your weight (they actually have a fantastic tool on their site to help you pick the suspension bits). That would still leave you $2100 in the positive all in.

Efrosty

Oct 10, 2023
US
Well, I was the one who got the last available CF9. In the end, it was spaced way too good for me to pass up. Literally the only thing that came close was the YT Decoy, but it was a grand more for similar spec.
My thought is this. If suspension is your biggest concern, the CF8 is a great buy, as I’m a bum if fan of the Shimano 12 speed drivetrain both in shifting and durability, so that’s a leg up in my view. The SLX brakes are actually quite good as well and have same power as the XT just simpler less frills packaging.
The suspension being a Fox X2 and 38 performance could easily net you about $1000 and you could buy whatever coil based product you like with the $1000 from the fork and shock and the $2700 difference in prices of the bikes.

I’m a HUGE Ohlins fan and would say you could go the RXF38 fork (which can do both coil and air and be swapped back and forth without issue) as well as a TTX2 coil shock and spend probably in the range of $1600ish with the spring that’s right for your weight (they actually have a fantastic tool on their site to help you pick the suspension bits). That would still leave you $2100 in the positive all in.
Thanks, going to try the SRAM AXS as well. Course my dilemma there is thinking the everything should be integrated with the onboard battery. Something the new GasGas bikes are supposed to have. Too many decisions. I haven't seen or hear of the CF9, close to the specs of the CF Roczen?

Th3bill

Subscriber
Oct 8, 2023
NY, USA
Thanks, going to try the SRAM AXS as well. Course my dilemma there is thinking the everything should be integrated with the onboard battery. Something the new GasGas bikes are supposed to have. Too many decisions. I haven't seen or hear of the CF9, close to the specs of the CF Roczen?

It’s very close but with Fox Factory stuff instead of RS (which I’d rather have Fox anyway).

Unfortunately for integrated with battery, you’ll be with a different bike or manufacturer as Shimano Di2 12 speed doesn’t work with the EP800. Only EP801. I learned that the hard way having bought the stuff and finding out after that it would work.

I do know Archer components is working on making their D1x product able to integrate with the Shimano motor and battery. They’re still in early stages. That’s about the only fully integrated system that this bike will be compatible with that won’t require external batteries.

Efrosty

Oct 10, 2023
US
It’s very close but with Fox Factory stuff instead of RS (which I’d rather have Fox anyway).

Unfortunately for integrated with battery, you’ll be with a different bike or manufacturer as Shimano Di2 12 speed doesn’t work with the EP800. Only EP801. I learned that the hard way having bought the stuff and finding out after that it would work.

I do know Archer components is working on making their D1x product able to integrate with the Shimano motor and battery. They’re still in early stages. That’s about the only fully integrated system that this bike will be compatible with that won’t require external batteries.
Thanks, not a deal breaker but what has mainly held me back is the EP8's on these bikes instead of the EP801 or Bosch. I don't have anything negative towards Shimano, just hard to consider paying these prices for a as far as the public is concerned is a dated motor and also the batteries for the EP8 don't appear to be compatible with the EP801. I like the Fox models with the Kashima forks. Seems to make a difference on the MX suspension with performance, curious to try it on a ebike. Thanks again for the feedback. Wish they would announce plans for the Strive:eek:n here in the US. Good thing I have a bike till just the right configuration comes out but impatiently waiting!

Th3bill

Subscriber
Oct 8, 2023
NY, USA
Thanks, not a deal breaker but what has mainly held me back is the EP8's on these bikes instead of the EP801 or Bosch. I don't have anything negative towards Shimano, just hard to consider paying these prices for a as far as the public is concerned is a dated motor and also the batteries for the EP8 don't appear to be compatible with the EP801. I like the Fox models with the Kashima forks. Seems to make a difference on the MX suspension with performance, curious to try it on a ebike. Thanks again for the feedback. Wish they would announce plans for the Strive:eek:n here in the US. Good thing I have a bike till just the right configuration comes out but impatiently waiting!

I hear ya man. I was super bummed that the di2 didn’t work. That said the archer thing is amazing (I have the older one that still uses external batteries but am in line to beta their one that they’re working on).
The EP800 may be “older”, but it’s an amazing unit with a ton of power and they’ve done some software updates that seem to have fixed some
Complaints (like the lack of overrun on obstacles).
I don’t regret this bike one bit. The 900Wh battery gave me over 3 hours of riding with 2000ft vertical elevation and used 1 bar out of 5. And given that it has an 8lb+ battery in it, it’s amazingly balanced.
Yes, the kashima stuff is really nice. I’ve got their dropper inbound Friday.
Ridewrap goes on tomorrow morning.
Best of luck with your choice.

Koban

Oct 15, 2023
Germany
I can really advise the SRAM XX Transmission group set for the emtb. Shifting under load etc works great. Beter then the old AXS en Shimano XT(R) group sets.

I was also in the running for an CF Roczen. The spec/colour of the Roczen were almost there for me. Some of the specs did hold me back from the Roczen. Still old AXS group set. I prefer Shimano brakes, also the 150mm dropper on the M sized bike was a bit too short for me.

I ended up with an CF9 with 1000,- euro discount. Exchanged some parts. And sold it for a good price and updated the bike to my own preferences. SRAM XX Transmission, AXS 170mm dropper, DT HXC1501 carbon wheels, XTR brakes/rotors, Ohlins TTX22M2 coil shock with two springs (434 & 457 lbs). etc... When I'm more focusing on going down I take the Torque and when there is more paddling on that day planned then the Spectral.

When you have the change to test the 720Wh battery. Maybe it is also an option. I use the 720Wh batteries most of the time in the Torque and Spectral. Only when I do longer rides and know the we are not going back to the car. Then I put the 900Wh battery in. On steep descents, tide corners and on jumps and drops the bike feels for me personally beter with the 720Wh battery.

Only issues I had with both bikes were the cable rubber that did hold the brake hose, and speed sensor cable. This one I lost on both bikes. So I use duck tape ;-)

Interpaul

Jun 18, 2018
Edinburgh
I saw a Torque:ON in the flesh last weekend out on the trails and got to take a seat on it (size L) - the Large felt good and at 185cm (6'1") tall its in my size range. Love the look of the Torque:ON. The Strive is just too chunky for me.

For those who have the Torque:ON how do you find it for size? It has a 500 reach in L and the M has 475.
For reference I have an Orbea Rise XL which also has a 500 reach but it is lighter bike, fancy an additional bike at some point with full power and more DH focused.

And for all the Shimano haters, I have had three bikes with Shimano motors and no issues over the last 6 years :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles