• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Unanswered Toobs

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
OK, who's still running tubes and what pressures are you using?

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
On my regular bike im running 2.35 high roller 2 on the front and a hans dampf on the back, both running tubes at about 26psi on my track pump. No issues, but they are dh casings

Edited due to feedback from @Gary
75kg rider (ish)
16.6kg bike
Enthusiastic but not very talented rider, Dom has seen me out anyway
Fs, 160mm enduro bike
26psi front/rear for pretty much all conditions.

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
equally helpfully. I have tubes at 125psi rear 115 front. No prizes for guessing which bike and tyre size I'm sharing the pressures of ;)

For anything useful here you need to be asking the following

Rider weight
Bike weight
riding style
FS or Hardtail
tyre volume
pressures f&r

Assuming you're talking about Emtb I'll answer the above for the short time I used the stock tyres on my Vitus

200lb
50lb
Aggressive/fast but smooth and love to jump
170mm FS
27.5x2.5 (DHF DD 3C)
32psi front, 38psi rear

It's no secret I prefer higher pressures to most

Last edited:

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
I'm still using tubes and seems fine so far for my usage (now I know they're going to puncture next time!) But it may not help you much as I'm still new to MTBing, and not doing anything too demanding - just local rocky bridleways mostly.

Here's the info:
  • 26psi front and rear
  • Rider weight: 75kg (+ backpack)
  • Bike weight: 25kg
  • Riding style: trying to stay upright mostly
  • Full suspension 160mm
  • Tyres are 27.5 x 2.8 (Maxxis High Roller II and Maxxis Rekon+)

neils

Aug 28, 2018
Wokingham UK
All parameters the same as Gary. I too like to run higher pressures.

I just find the whole tubeless thing messy and with very little advantage over tubes. I tried tubeless for many years about 10 years ago. When I tried running lower pressures tubeless I used to burp the sidewalls and loose pressure.

On my 29er S-Woks Enduro & Fully rigid Ti XC bike (yet to apply this to the Turbo Levo CC 2018)...For a long time now I’ve been buying Schwalbe SV 19A (extra light tubes with removable valve cores) I then add 75ml of Stan’s via the valve.
I find this method seals punctures EVERYTIME it also lasts much much longer as it never seems to dry out, it’s so simple and completely mess free!
Try it sometime... I’ve never looked back (y):cool:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
All parameters the same as Gary. I too like to run higher pressures.

I just find the whole tubeless thing messy and with very little advantage over tubes. I tried tubeless for many years about 10 years ago. When I tried running lower pressures tubeless I used to burp the sidewalls and loose pressure.
sorry to go off on a tangent but...
I'm not running the same tyres anymore and I am running the new tyres tubeless.
The tyres and tubes I quoted above are the spec that came with my bike and were ridiculously heavy and draggy. switching to faster rolling lighter (Exo casing) tyres set-up tubeless saved 3lb in weight alone. (So massively worth it for me). and made the bike accelerate better and more nimble.
Even tubeless I still don't run low pressures, but slightly lower than above. (I was partly running such a high pressure in the rear to try and combat the huge rolling resistance of the 3c compound) I now run far faster rolling dual compound.

neils

Aug 28, 2018
Wokingham UK
sorry to go off on a tangent but...
I'm not running the same tyres anymore and I am running the new tyres tubeless.
The tyres and tubes I quoted above are the spec that came with my bike and were ridiculously heavy and draggy. switching to faster rolling lighter (Exo casing) tyres set-up tubeless saved 3lb in weight alone. (So massively worth it for me). and made the bike accelerate better and more nimble.
Even tubeless I still don't run low pressures, but slightly lower than above. (I was partly running such a high pressure in the rear to try and combat the huge rolling resistance of the 3c compound) I now run far faster rolling dual compound.

I too should also of said “same as Gary except the tyres”, I’ve only ever run Specialized 2Bliss Control tyres: Butcher, Ground Control, Purgatory or Slaughter

Always found Spec tyres good value for money.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles