To all you deep cold weather guys

gooral

Feb 10, 2022
Peebles
I can see the need for devices like the garmin 1030 but I find I wouldn’t use the data. I don’t use any navigation or trip planning either on Strava or the Bosch app.

My handle bar is only there to hang my brake levers on…😉…it’s pretty clean.
Canceled my subscription to Strava because I only used Beacon and the recent price increase doesn’t justify its use to me.

So that leaves me with Find my Friend and/or Apple itag and the crash detection on my iwatch. Apparently the new iPhone 14 has gps on it and that could be handy when I’m out of cell service.

I’ve triggered the crash detection on the iwatch several times and I scramble to shut the auto-dial off before a search goes out. (60 seconds I think). I think that’s a good feature when you ride alone even though it can be annoying sometimes.

If I rode my bike as a commuter sometimes I would probably re-think my devices.
You did not need to pay for Strava in that case, as "beacon" is in the free version that I use. Free version is good enough for my needs😀
As to iphone 14 having gps - all mobiles have it and always had it. You do not need data or be within reach of mobile masts/have mobile reception to be tracable by whoever you want. You can in fact save your battery and put your phone in airplane mode and whoever you want can still follow you )say using sharing location on WhatsApp), your strava and trailforks will still record your route. I use it this way all the time, can ride without distractions and can listen to my podcasts for way longer, do not need to take my phone charger even on long rides.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Any time I've seen it minus 15 or 20 c in my area there is absolutely no wind and it doesn't feel as cold as 0 with loads of wind and rain . I've worked outside in it for 12 hour shifts wind and rain are torture.
I agree about the windchill factor, but as you all know, bikes generate their own windchill. You will know all about windchill but for those that don't know the details, here is a good chart.

Wind Chill Chart

It's from the USA I think, so it's all in Fahrenheit, but from the calculator just below the chart you can use degC and mph or kph.

I learned that at 0degC and 8mph, it feels like -4degC. At 16mph it feels like -6degC. I was surprised to see that 25mph only generates -7degC

That is why I wear an insulated skull cap under my helmet on cold days! :eek:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
My record on my Levo is -5F / -20c. Bar mitts/poggies are a given. I always carry two extra things for the down hill. One is a pair of goggles in the camelbak and the other is a neoprene snow mobile face mask wrapped around the handle bars. The reason for the neoprene mask on the bars is that it's always there and you'll never forget to bring it. Even if the ride doesn't require it, it's always there all winter for safety. The boots are wolfgar with heated insoles. Heated insoles are probably not needed but after 3hrs riding with poor circulation they are fantastic.

View attachment 110093 View attachment 110094 View attachment 110095 View attachment 110096 View attachment 110097 View attachment 110098 View attachment 110099 View attachment 110100 View attachment 110101 View attachment 110102 View attachment 110103
Do you know anyone who is a proper fanatic? :ROFLMAO:

Utah Rider

Jul 4, 2019
Utah
Last year 🙃. Arrow facing wrong way on power link. Check out the wear on the KMC chain. 🤩

Screenshot_20230118_203014_Facebook.jpg Screenshot_20230118_203005_Facebook.jpg

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I agree about the windchill factor, but as you all know, bikes generate their own windchill. You will know all about windchill but for those that don't know the details, here is a good chart.

Wind Chill Chart

It's from the USA I think, so it's all in Fahrenheit, but from the calculator just below the chart you can use degC and mph or kph.

I learned that at 0degC and 8mph, it feels like -4degC. At 16mph it feels like -6degC. I was surprised to see that 25mph only generates -7degC

That is why I wear an insulated skull cap under my helmet on cold days! :eek:
Movement as well plays a big part. I always say it doesn't matter how much clothes you put on if you are not moving you never stay warm . I got issued with all the best of Norwegian thermal gear on a job a couple of years ago up in the Arctic circle , still freezing but melting if u had to do a bit. Cycling in winter when wet is no fun.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Last year 🙃. Arrow facing wrong way on power link. Check out the wear on the KMC chain. 🤩

View attachment 110185 View attachment 110186
That looks proper cold! I have had ice on my beard as my breath froze, but that was only a few degrees below freezing.

I can't see any wear on the chain, just the jockey wheel. That jockey wheel may not have worn like that because of the chain being on the wrong way around. It happened to me just because I never thought to check it. For the avoidance of doubt, the old one is on the left!
Jockey wheels.JPG

That happend in the temperate UK, where we just don't get bad weather very often. The worst we get is mud.

Utah Rider

Jul 4, 2019
Utah
I replaced the jockey wheels on that bike before I sold it. It was a 17 Levo on its third motor. That bike easily had 1 million feet/300,000 meters of climbing on it. If you zoom in on the chain you'll see crazy deep wear marks on each side. I only got those wear marks with KMC chains. Only buy SRAM chains now. They don't break like the KMC does. (for me anyway). Currently my winter bike is a 18 carbon levo. Speaking of winter safety, I always carry a spare 1st gen battery for the spesh. If it's really cold the power meter kinda lies. It can shut down at three power bars with no warning. I also keep a pack of chemical hand warmers in the camelbak. Once this winter I had a tire issue at 10 miles distance from the car. My hands were frozen after the tire repair and those chemical warmers saved my butt.

20230227_142007.jpg View attachment 20230318_061717.jpg View attachment 20230318_065859.jpg

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I replaced the jockey wheels on that bike before I sold it. It was a 17 Levo on its third motor. That bike easily had 1 million feet/300,000 meters of climbing on it. If you zoom in on the chain you'll see crazy deep wear marks on each side. I only got those wear marks with KMC chains. Only buy SRAM chains now. They don't break like the KMC does. (for me anyway). Currently my winter bike is a 18 carbon levo. Speaking of winter safety, I always carry a spare 1st gen battery for the spesh. If it's really cold the power meter kinda lies. It can shut down at three power bars with no warning. I also keep a pack of chemical hand warmers in the camelbak. Once this winter I had a tire issue at 10 miles distance from the car. My hands were frozen after the tire repair and those chemical warmers saved my butt.

View attachment 110248 View attachment 110249 View attachment 110250
Cycled home many times with a flat on analogue bike never tried with ebike. Or never had to I wonder ???? 🤔.

Utah Rider

Jul 4, 2019
Utah
My ice bike has wheels that were custom made by EIE Carbon. I had them made 27.5 , max width, UST tubeless with no spoke holes. That way no rim tape needed or air leaks in extreme cold or wet riding. Match that with 27.5 X 3.0 Wrathchild tires. I carry plugs for repairs but I've found that plugs don't seal very well when the rubber is below freezing. I pretty much just carry c02 and try to get back to the car if in trouble. I also carry chemical hand warmers for emergencies. If you have to take your gloves off for a trailside repair and your 10 miles from the car, they can be a life saver. In Utah, almost all my rides finish with a DH. That means you don't generate any body heat for up to 10 miles.

20240107_081056.jpg 20231229_094431.jpg 20231229_080155.jpg 20231228_072629.jpg 20231228_072635.jpg 20231223_075402.jpg 20231217_070306.jpg 20231209_092314.jpg 20231230_115942.jpg 20231121_085902.jpg

darwink1

Dec 19, 2022
Ontario, Canada

Twisted Fork

Nov 1, 2022
British Columbia, Canada
This morning’s ride started at -28 Celsius and warmed up to -18 by noon. At least the wind was much milder than it’s been the past few days, but still cold enough to warrant a full face balaclava. Pretty humid in there on the climbs though!

Was a bit of an experiment ride to see how the RM Blizzard Powerplay holds up in these conditions. I chose a local xc style trail that has plenty of bail out options in case something went sideways. Rocky Mountain tech guidance says that the battery will shut itself down once the cells reach -20 degrees and reboot after it warms back up to -15. No major issues on this 22km ride, so I’m assuming the battery generated enough internal heat through use to avoid reaching the threshold cutoff temperature. I didn’t want to stop for any length of time just to make sure that heat didn’t dissipate (both the battery’s and my own body heat). At one point on the downhill I was starting to feel like my corneas were close to getting a touch of frost nip. That’s an unsettling sensation! Probably wise to remember glasses or goggles next time. Thumb and brake finger pain was wickedly hostile, but that was expected and pretty much unavoidable in those conditions… all part of the fun I suppose.

cykelk

Subscriber
May 15, 2023
Cascadia
This morning’s ride started at -28 Celsius and warmed up to -18 by noon. At least the wind was much milder than it’s been the past few days, but still cold enough to warrant a full face balaclava. Pretty humid in there on the climbs though!

Was a bit of an experiment ride to see how the RM Blizzard Powerplay holds up in these conditions. I chose a local xc style trail that has plenty of bail out options in case something went sideways. Rocky Mountain tech guidance says that the battery will shut itself down once the cells reach -20 degrees and reboot after it warms back up to -15. No major issues on this 22km ride, so I’m assuming the battery generated enough internal heat through use to avoid reaching the threshold cutoff temperature. I didn’t want to stop for any length of time just to make sure that heat didn’t dissipate (both the battery’s and my own body heat). At one point on the downhill I was starting to feel like my corneas were close to getting a touch of frost nip. That’s an unsettling sensation! Probably wise to remember glasses or goggles next time. Thumb and brake finger pain was wickedly hostile, but that was expected and pretty much unavoidable in those conditions… all part of the fun I suppose.
Goggles (with the air-gapped double lens) for sure, and pogies for the hands. Stick some hand warmers on the inside of the pogies. I use these, which work fine except for occasionally toggling the Fazua ring controller. May try the roomier ones.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
This morning’s ride started at -28 Celsius and warmed up to -18 by noon. .............

............... At one point on the downhill I was starting to feel like my corneas were close to getting a touch of frost nip. ................... Thumb and brake finger pain was wickedly hostile, .......… all part of the fun I suppose.
Fun! :unsure:
It takes all sorts. :)

Haveland

Apr 21, 2022
New Brunswick, Canada
IMG_3745.jpeg
IMG_3746.jpeg

I only ride solo and mostly at night. My wife monitors my ride, and I tell her to check in every 30 min, and if I haven't moved for more than an hour, to call, and if I don't answer, start the evac plan. Luckily, many of the firefighters also ride, so my wife has a number of them to call first and let them decide what to do. I also tell my wife where my truck will be parked.

I always carry a few of those instant heat packs, one of those space blankets, extra light and keep the risks as safe as possible but fully know the easy stuff can still get you. It's all a calculated risk.

My actual biggest fear is not getting hurt but instead my phone freezing and there being a search party sent out and something happening to them when I'm ok.

Utah Rider

Jul 4, 2019
Utah
I learned something very important a couple of weeks ago after skiing. Don't keep the key fob in an outside pocket when cold out. My truck won't start if it doesn't detect a key. I had to put the key fob next to my package for a few minutes to warm the battery. 😅

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
I learned something very important a couple of weeks ago after skiing. Don't keep the key fob in an outside pocket when cold out. My truck won't start if it doesn't detect a key. I had to put the key fob next to my package for a few minutes to warm the battery. 😅
Guess you had a cremasteric reflex :LOL:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles