Time to ugrade from Sram EX1?

Al-Rider

Oct 14, 2018
Lisboa, Portugal
My Meta Power's Sram EX1 drivetrain has now done 1.300km and it has worked fine up until now (I'm on my third EX1 chain and it's still under 0.5 stretch). The problem is I banged my derailleur a few days ago and it's slighlty bent so it's time, either to buy a new one or upgrade the whole drivetrain.

The cassette is the EX1 (XG-899) and it's starting to show some wear:

xg-999.jpg

I'm used to the EX1 8 speed drivetrain and don't feel any need for more speeds, but I don't know if it's worth it to spend money on a new EX1 derailleur giving the state of the cassette and I don't really want to spend 300€ on a new XG-899 cassette.

If it's not, what should I upgrade to? Is the SRAM GX 11sp derailleur + Sunrace CSMX8 cassette a good option or are there better options in the same or slightly higher price range?

Appreciate any help.

Al-Rider

Oct 14, 2018
Lisboa, Portugal
Well, since the lack of answers is an answer in itself and I really enjoy the EX1, I ended up buying a new EX1 derailleur. I guess the cassette isn't so bad and will handle a few km more.

Just installed the new derailleur today and replaced the shifter cable placing some chain wet lube inside the cable housing. Shifts like butter now :p
IMG_20200501_133453.jpg

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
the cassette teeth you've highlighted by circling in red in your pics above (although worn) have profiles on them to aid shifting. This is perfectly normal and if you look at a brand new cassette you'll also notice not all cassette teeth are the same length or have the same tooth profiles.

Al-Rider

Oct 14, 2018
Lisboa, Portugal
Yeah, when I saw a new cassette in detail I noticed that. That's why I thought mine will probably last a while longer if I keep on changing chains regularly. The EX1 cassette is really expensive, but it probably lasts 3 times longer than other cheaper ones.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Everything I've read and been told says that there is no upgrade from EX1. It is supposed to be the perfect E-cassette. Made to be stronger, last longer etc. How do you upgrade from that?

With all that pedal assist, who NEEDS more than 8 speeds? Err, me, I do.

I just could not find a cadence I liked on the EX1 that I tried. I had a go on the same bike but one spec down and it had 11-speed and it was perfect. Obviously my fault for being too rigid in my pedalling demands. :giggle:

The bike I bought had 11-speed and so far I've done 1430 miles (2290km) on the same chain and gears. Zero problems so far, and wearing well. :)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
but it probably lasts 3 times longer than other cheaper ones.
It doesn't.
it actually lasts less time as there are fewer sprockets to choose from and using more sprockets spreads out individual sprocket wear further.

I personally wouldn't touch EX1
for the same cost as ONE EX1 cassette (£280) you can buy EIGHT 10 speed Shimano deore cassettes AND EIGHT 10 speed chains AND FOUR chainrings.
and those £22 10 speed shimano cassettes actually last longer.

jsalas2

Apr 6, 2018
San antonio, Tx
My Meta Power's Sram EX1 drivetrain has now done 1.300km and it has worked fine up until now (I'm on my third EX1 chain and it's still under 0.5 stretch). The problem is I banged my derailleur a few days ago and it's slighlty bent so it's time, either to buy a new one or upgrade the whole drivetrain.

The cassette is the EX1 (XG-899) and it's starting to show some wear:

View attachment 28914

I'm used to the EX1 8 speed drivetrain and don't feel any need for more speeds, but I don't know if it's worth it to spend money on a new EX1 derailleur giving the state of the cassette and I don't really want to spend 300€ on a new XG-899 cassette.

If it's not, what should I upgrade to? Is the SRAM GX 11sp derailleur + Sunrace CSMX8 cassette a good option or are there better options in the same or slightly higher price range?

Appreciate any help.

Hi, thats exactly what I switched to. Also didn't see it cost effective buying the EX1 cassette. I've used the GX and NX derailleur with the Sunrace CSMX8. Very inexpensive setup and easily replaced. Whenever I see one for sale or a new take off from someone upgrading. I pick it up pretty cheap. And the sunrace cassettes you can get for $50-60.

Aitrui

May 16, 2020
Budapest
I looking to replace my EX1 drivetrain,because I hate it. It's noise, hard to keep the setup aligned for good shifter feel, I don't like the way Sram want's you setup the rear mech, so the jockey wheel center is in the right side of the bottom cog, which makes a funky chain line, and adding noise.

What should I get from shimano, if I want to keep at least a 46 cog at the top?

Levo-Lon

Jan 21, 2020
Uk
I converted my old 8 speed Trek powerfly to XT 11 speed , brilliant.
Be aware about quick shifting but for cadence ...just better by miles

Aitrui

May 16, 2020
Budapest
I converted my old 8 speed Trek powerfly to XT 11 speed , brilliant.
Be aware about quick shifting but for cadence ...just better by miles

Did you use the Sram derailleur hanger?

I'm confused about the derailleur type, there are mid and long ones, both max teeth cog is 42. Can you may share your exact setup, I guess you started from EX1 also.

Last edited:

Cyclopath1000

Apr 26, 2019
Davis Ca
So Gary is probably correct that sane e bikers should just chuck the ex1 and do something like the desore pictured cheapie but quality 10 speed cassette. Being of questionable sanity is too decided that there are things about the ex1 system that I still find desirable. The range for one in NorCal is optimized. The spacer for cog 9 and 10 moves the chain line out and It maybe protects the hub from destruction if perchance the chain falls off medially. Anyway this is just incidential to the reason I posted here and not in a new thread. I think I have identified a major cause of drivetrain failure: chain skin on the small cogs.

I have pictured the jockey wheel from now the second jockey wheel destruction or loss of one in the last year. So 2018 metapower commencal e8000 motor. 4200 miles . Second cassette. 2 additional 11,13,15 cog sets. I was riding up a moderate incline in boost and I managed to separate the preinstalled oem sealed cartridge of previous replacement. Luckily I happened to have what remained of the previous parts plus a spare inner cage from when I upgraded my jockey wheels on my ripmo af so I was able to salvage a pretty decent Mendocino redwood , Jackson demonstration ride. Luckily it blew apart close to the campground!! So what force could literally rip that jockey wheels bearing out that otherwise would probably require freezing it and pressing it out. I certainly don't want to do that again.

My oem ex1 chain (that's the one made in Portugal and not in Asia. ) Doesn't get to .5 on the good park measurer but others have notes that these chains may look like they are in spec but maybe not.

So I'm pretty sure that I can get 6-7 k miles on this ebike with my current inventory of ex1 . I vandalized the desire 10 speed that I bought because I also have a complete 10 speed migration as per Gary but decided to for the foreseeable future stick with ex1. But doubtful sram will manufacture more of these seeing both major brands have moved to 12 speed. Things are getting more packaged as a whole yada yada etc.

The major indicator for chain , small cogs etc on any e bike without and internal hub probably is skipping. So I think this cautionary tale is applicable to all setups.
1658601420650478480274301013629.jpg
16586014368381471954915399405877.jpg
16586014638277799535055247113407.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles