Thron2 EQP Upgrade Options

flipa

Aug 4, 2020
Yorkshire
I bought a Thron2 6.8 EQP last summer with the intention of using it to commute to work, but also to get off road and build my confidence over more technical terrain. My commute is 12 miles each way through the West Yorkshire moors, mainly by road but always options to find more interesting routes via bridleways etc. I went for the EQP option as I felt having the mudguards and lights would help for the commute to the office, however I've been working from home for the entire time since getting the bike and haven't needed it once to get to work.

It's been one of the best things I've ever bought, my fitness levels are up and I've racked up just under 1k miles since August and realise i much prefer getting off the road and out onto the trails and tackling more difficult routes as my confidence grows. I'm still very much a novice but now comfortable on red trails and starting to get a bit of air at Leeds Urban Bike Park when I hit the trails there.

Also worth mentioning I sometimes use it for family rides which can include towing the kids (towhee, followme tandem, trailer - not all at the same time).

I swapped the tyres early on and I'll be adding a dropper post next month, but I'm trying to decide whether I should go down the route of upgrading the forks and suspension and if so what would be a good option....? The suntour forks and suspension seem to be serving me well but I have nothing to compare against and they are classed as being for XC use only.

Or should I just look at upgrading the bike and getting something more aggressive, bearing in mind I will at some point need to use it to commute.

Would love to hear what you guys would do in this situation.

IMG_5190.jpg
IMG_5195.jpg
IMG_5188.jpg

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I would not part with your bike until you have another one in your grip. Bikes are like gold dust at the moment, especially decent emtbs. Some 2021 models are sold out and you will have to wait for the 2022 models in Aug later this year. But if you wait until then, they will probably all be sold! The upside is that used prices are at a record high and you will get good money for your current bike.

So that leaves you with the upgrade route. You can spend an absolute fortune on new suspension, so you may wish to look at upgrading what you have now. I have no experience of Suntour forks so I have no idea what the upgrade potential is for them, it may be zero! Others on here will advise.

What you could do is to capitalise on the upgrades of others and look out for a previously loved Rockshox Revelation fork, or maybe a Rockshox Yari. Some riders buy a bike and immediately change the fork and sell the unused stock fork, you may be lucky enough and come across one of those. Each of them is a very good fork and also can be upgraded relatively cheaply to an even better fork. Be careful though before you start looking and be sure to establish exactly what you need.

Ditto for the shock.

flipa

Aug 4, 2020
Yorkshire
Thanks @steve_sordy , Good call on the secondhand route for upgrading the forks and shock.
Would you say swapping the forks would make a bigger difference than the shock? Which would you do first?

I don't suppose anyone happens to know what the steerer length is for a thron2?

When I spoke to my LBS they seemed to think that the forks and shocks were decent and implied that upgrading wouldn't make me a better rider. But would really like to hear others opinions on this, especially as I get more adventurous, I want to know they are up to the job.

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I don't suppose anyone happens to know what the steerer length is for a thron2?

Dropper post definitely first. You'll be able to move around the bike more and will make descents far easier/safer.

Unless you're having specific issues, I wouldn't rush into changing anything else yet. Just see how you get on. Relax, take your time, just get used to riding and different terrain. Enjoy it. It's all too easy to think that upgrading/purchasing will be the instant route to improved riding. It's not. It might make things easier, but it won't help improve your skills and abilities.

When/if you do decide to upgrade forks/shock. Forks would normally be first. You should notice the most benefit there. The body does a pretty good job of absorbing shocks and moving with the bike/terrain with regard to the rear end, but forks help with control, steering.

Think of it this way. You see hardtails for sale as a popular option. But you don't see hardfronts for sale as a popular option equipped with rear suspension.

Landy Andy

Feb 8, 2021
Herts
I’m reading your story, but fail to understand why you need to do anything. The bike appears to do all you require. If you want then remove guards, change tyres and go and attack the trials, then workout what performance your bike is lacking.

flipa

Aug 4, 2020
Yorkshire
I think possibly a little buyers remorse that I didn’t go for non EQP version or even the Jam2, but that wasn’t what I was looking for last year when I bought it.
Really I’m just trying to get an understanding of what the tangible benefits of upgrading are.
The EQP version of this bike is aimed at more leisurely riders and the components used possibly reflect this.
The forks have a warning sticker stating they should be used for cross country only and not to ride hard trails, so there is an element of worry that they would fail or become damaged if I don’t stick to bridleways and easy terrain.

Just wondered if there was anyone on here that might have had a similar experience with these forks or maybe done an upgrade and could share their thoughts?

tomato paste

Mar 18, 2019
Germany
We are in the same situation, an interest in bigger more frequent hits which the XCR may not be ideal for.

The problem is keeping the front guard or not.

If you want to keep the EQP front guard, your 2 options are the Auron 35 Boost or the Durolux. We can't source an Auron at the moment in Germany, the Durolux is too much travel for the bike.

If we drop the front mudguard, we would take a Fox 36 Performance Grip (130mm), which can handle all the trails you'll try. The commute may be muddier as whatever front guard you use on the Fox will be substantially less.

The best option IMO is the Auron 35 Boost, which is 80% of a Fox 36 by quality and performance (according to reviews) at 50% the price and you can put your guard back on any time. If you can find a source to purchase from is the only issue...

flipa

Aug 4, 2020
Yorkshire
Thanks for posting @tomato paste really useful.
Great summary of the options available for us EQP owners that want to get more from the bike whilst hitting the trails.

I've removed the guards now the weather is warmer and had a dropper fitted recently.
I will certainly be adding the guards back when winter comes as they made a massive difference during muddy season - much better than the mud hugger, crud catcher type combos.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles