Thok MIG

myskovon

Aug 12, 2018
Leeds
Hey guys, this is my Thok MIG. Pics are from my iphone so excuse the weird ghost blur around some details :rolleyes::).
IMG_0525.jpeg

I've had it a couple of weeks and done just shy of 100 miles so far, and I love it!
Theres not many in the UK at the moment so hopefully you'll find this interesting. :unsure:
The bike came with two battery covers one in Red, the other black, I'm still not sure which one I like best, I'll probably just swap every now and then. The battery being placed on the underside of the down tube is quite unique and as well as altering the styling of the bike it really does help with weight distribution and the overall handling of the bike is great. It's really agile compared to my old Scott Egenius, very lively through changes of direction and boy does the thing want to wheelie with the short 450mm chainstays! With the Black cover below;

IMG_0077.jpeg

Thok have produced their own dropper and it is brilliant! Ultra smooth and the remote is in just the right place and ergonomically spot on! In the past I've had bad experiences with droppers, having to send them back on warranty and my riding buddies have also had issues with different brands, to the point where we wondered if anyone had actually made a dropper that lasts. Fingers crossed this one carries on working smoothly. The 35mm bars are Thok's own and the top cap and stem all have a nice stealth finish.

IMG_0079.jpeg

IMG_0068.jpeg

IMG_0215.jpeg

It uses the Shimano Steps motor which IMO is the best but I realise this is very much down to personal preference and have nothing against any of the other systems. Below is a shot of the rear linkage and then the battery retaining system. In reality it's more of a protective device as the usual method of locking batteries into place secures it adequately. The rubber strap you can see secures the red plastic cover that clips into place, and the charging port can be accessed while the battery is still on the bike. You'll probably notice there's a power button on the rubber strap so you can turn on the system without removing anything.

IMG_0082.jpeg
IMG_0217.jpeg

IMG_0234.jpeg

In the picture above you can see they have thought about the home mechanic, it's one bike I'm certainly not going to stress about when routing cables.
Lastly a shot over looking Sheffield (from Parkwood), I've probably forgot to write about certain things but I will try to add to this when I've ridden it more, something which I cant wait to do :D

IMG_0441.jpeg

Cheers, Alex.

Dusty

Jul 14, 2018
Liverpool
Ha! Already it’s 50:50 on the colours, at least this justifies my own indesicion

I like the stealth look of bikes especially 5k ones hehehe...stops the local rats trying to steal the beauty
Out of interest why did you choose your particular bike

myskovon

Aug 12, 2018
Leeds
I like the stealth look of bikes especially 5k ones hehehe...stops the local rats trying to steal the beauty
Out of interest why did you choose your particular bike

I too like the stealth look it’s one of the big appeals about the bike, if I ride trails locally from my door it certainly pays not to have a fluo coloured bike attracting unwanted attention! I wanted a slacker bike than I had as my riding has improved and I was starting to outgrow the trail ebike I had, this is more enduro orientated and I do dabble in the occasional Enduro. I wanted to move to the Shimano system, and also prefer Rockshox to Fox, but most of all I like being a bit different.

Last edited:

myskovon

Aug 12, 2018
Leeds
Red. That’s really interesting. I have never seen an external battery mounted underneath the down tube before. Now I will go do a bunch of research on it because I am a huge nerd

Haha! The research is all part of the fun of being obsessed with a hobby ?

myskovon

Aug 12, 2018
Leeds
Where did you get it from?

I got it direct from Thok, they operate similar to YT or Canyon with a direct sales strategy. That said though I am now trying to help Thok get some demo points set up over here in the UK. They already have demo points across Europe but none over here, the company is Italian.

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Hungary/Bosnia and Herzegovina
When I was searching for an ebike Thok was on my list - Toni Bou edition was sick but sold out quickly. In the end, I went with the Commencal Meta Power because I wasn't sure about its look.
In May I was at the Garda Bike Festival and Thok had a display with test bikes there. All I can say they look awesome, much better in flesh than in pictures. The rubber battery cover is great I prefer black but I would swap them from time to time.

"Thok have produced their own dropper" - that's a TranzX dropper 'Thok" printed on it but they are great regardless. I used to run them on two of my bikes never had a problem.

myskovon

Aug 12, 2018
Leeds
Hi Tamas, thanks for the info. I like the Meta Power too. I know what you mean about the Thok. In the flesh it looks really nice, I don’t think the subtle graphic details and paint colours ‘pop’ in photographs. Has to be seen to be appreciated ?

Dave

Jul 20, 2018
Rugby
Hey guys, this is my Thok MIG. Pics are from my iphone so excuse the weird ghost blur around some details :rolleyes::). View attachment 4070

I've had it a couple of weeks and done just shy of 100 miles so far, and I love it!
Theres not many in the UK at the moment so hopefully you'll find this interesting. :unsure:
The bike came with two battery covers one in Red, the other black, I'm still not sure which one I like best, I'll probably just swap every now and then. The battery being placed on the underside of the down tube is quite unique and as well as altering the styling of the bike it really does help with weight distribution and the overall handling of the bike is great. It's really agile compared to my old Scott Egenius, very lively through changes of direction and boy does the thing want to wheelie with the short 450mm chainstays! With the Black cover below;

View attachment 4071

Thok have produced their own dropper and it is brilliant! Ultra smooth and the remote is in just the right place and ergonomically spot on! In the past I've had bad experiences with droppers, having to send them back on warranty and my riding buddies have also had issues with different brands, to the point where we wondered if anyone had actually made a dropper that lasts. Fingers crossed this one carries on working smoothly. The 35mm bars are Thok's own and the top cap and stem all have a nice stealth finish.

View attachment 4076
View attachment 4081
View attachment 4077
It uses the Shimano Steps motor which IMO is the best but I realise this is very much down to personal preference and have nothing against any of the other systems. Below is a shot of the rear linkage and then the battery retaining system. In reality it's more of a protective device as the usual method of locking batteries into place secures it adequately. The rubber strap you can see secures the red plastic cover that clips into place, and the charging port can be accessed while the battery is still on the bike. You'll probably notice there's a power button on the rubber strap so you can turn on the system without removing anything.

View attachment 4078 View attachment 4079

View attachment 4080

In the picture above you can see they have thought about the home mechanic, it's one bike I'm certainly not going to stress about when routing cables.
Lastly a shot over looking Sheffield (from Parkwood), I've probably forgot to write about certain things but I will try to add to this when I've ridden it more, something which I cant wait to do :D

View attachment 4083
Cheers, Alex.
Really love the look of this bike .. also I tested a Scott e genius 710 last week I did like the Scott but I read you changed from scott to this ... What are you main preferences on this bike compared to the Scott.. ?

myskovon

Aug 12, 2018
Leeds
Really love the look of this bike .. also I tested a Scott e genius 710 last week I did like the Scott but I read you changed from scott to this ... What are you main preferences on this bike compared to the Scott.. ?

I have a Scott Egenius 720 plus and don’t get me wrong I love that bike too. The plan is to keep it and get the Mrs. and my Dad out and about on it, I can’t bring myself to sell it at the minute as I did get so much enjoyment out of it.

The Thok has a slacker head angle and the geometry all round allows for a better descending bike, it has more travel on the front too and I found with the Scott even with tokens in I was blowing through travel. I wanted to go to the Shimano motor, for me it has better power delivery, better economy and is easier to pedal beyond the limit of assistance than the Bosch was. I like the fact I can update the system and tailor modes to suit the ride I’m doing, something I couldn’t do before. The clearance is better on the Thok too for going off drops and technical rocky terrain.

And I thought it looked great ? with my Scott I bought it as it was at the right price and spec (I don’t think the 2016 Egenius are easy on the eye) but this I actually like the look of ?

Dave

Jul 20, 2018
Rugby
I have a Scott Egenius 720 plus and don’t get me wrong I love that bike too. The plan is to keep it and get the Mrs. and my Dad out and about on it, I can’t bring myself to sell it at the minute as I did get so much enjoyment out of it.

The Thok has a slacker head angle and the geometry all round allows for a better descending bike, it has more travel on the front too and I found with the Scott even with tokens in I was blowing through travel. I wanted to go to the Shimano motor, for me it has better power delivery, better economy and is easier to pedal beyond the limit of assistance than the Bosch was. I like the fact I can update the system and tailor modes to suit the ride I’m doing, something I couldn’t do before. The clearance is better on the Thok too for going off drops and technical rocky terrain.

And I thought it looked great ? with my Scott I bought it as it was at the right price and spec (I don’t think the 2016 Egenius are easy on the eye) but this I actually like the look of ?
You said you got it direct from thok .. How long did it take for delivery ..
And what warranty do you get with it ?
I do like the look of the Scott but when I saw the thok it just had the wow factor .

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
I really like the Thok Mig! Unfortunately it's so rare so I can't find one to check out.

Red. That’s really interesting. I have never seen an external battery mounted underneath the down tube before. Now I will go do a bunch of research on it because I am a huge nerd

Cannondale Moterra! And the Pivot Shuttle, sort of. It's got the external battery on the under side, but it's covered up. I like this approach, keeping center of gravity low.

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
I really like the Thok Mig! Unfortunately it's so rare so I can't find one to check out.

Cannondale Moterra! And the Pivot Shuttle, sort of. It's got the external battery on the under side, but it's covered up. I like this approach, keeping center of gravity low.
Good call, I Always forget Crackandfail is till in business.
The pivot shuttle looks more integrated and it doesn’t have the humpback look of the Thok.

myskovon

Aug 12, 2018
Leeds
You said you got it direct from thok .. How long did it take for delivery ..
And what warranty do you get with it ?
I do like the look of the Scott but when I saw the thok it just had the wow factor .

Hi Dave,

Around 3-4 working days delivery and 2 years warranty. More info can be found here; FAQ

Whereabouts are you based as there’s a bike shop in Knottingley which currently have use of Thok MIG

Dave

Jul 20, 2018
Rugby
Hi Dave,

Around 3-4 working days delivery and 2 years warranty. More info can be found here; FAQ

Whereabouts are you based as there’s a bike shop in Knottingley which currently have use of Thok MIG
I'm in rugby ... I did a search yesterday and couldn't find one .. I'll check out knottingley ...

myskovon

Aug 12, 2018
Leeds
Took a ride out to Leeds urban bike park at the weekend. The place has been open a while but they have only just finished phase 2 which is far better than the first phase. If anyone local has already been and was disappointed by the first phase I can assure you it’s much improved! They’ve built a nice progressive red loop which is mainly rollers and a few tables / hips. Similar style to Parkwood and Lady Cannings but I’d say a better place for a session than they are. There’s no fire road climbs, all the climbing is ‘uphill flow’ so perfect for us ebikers! Pic below is next to the quarry section which has black features (drops off, step ups)
AB1A0B4E-7326-49C8-A8B6-080A4522A63B.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles