Thinking about getting sram AXS wireless ?

maynard

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
What do I need for my 19 Levo? I currently have 11 spd xd driver . And I just got a new 36 tooth praxis crank . I also wanna lose the xd driver from the hub cos cassettes r fu@king expensive. I also wanna move this older groupset to my 9spd cube acid hybrid which is currently shimano . Ok cheers bike nerds . And Gary feel free to tell me I'm a dick and AXS is for shit riders who want to waste money to improve there riding skills .

BrentD

Jun 25, 2020
New Zealand
Am I the only one seeing the irony in complaining that SRAM cassettes are expensive yet wanting to upgrade to AXS...;)

You'll need a new driver for a twelve speed Shimano called micro spline for your Levo and also your Cube (unless the hubs are exactly the same); cost about $200 each.

I don't know that much about AXS but imagine that it will have fairly fine tolerances for the electric shifting system so you'd want to be very confident that the spacing of the Shimano cassette was EXACTLY the same as a SRAM one.

maynard

Am I the only one seeing the irony in complaining that SRAM cassettes are expensive yet wanting to upgrade to AXS...;)

You'll need a new driver for a twelve speed Shimano called micro spline for your Levo and also your Cube (unless the hubs are exactly the same); cost about $200 each.

I don't know that much about AXS but imagine that it will have fairly fine tolerances for the electric shifting system so you'd want to be very confident that the spacing of the Shimano cassette was EXACTLY the same as a SRAM one.
Yeah good point . I could buy ten cassettes for the price of AXS.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
And Gary feel free to tell me I'm a dick and AXS is for shit riders who want to waste money to improve there riding skills .
Your a dick for assuming you know what others think or even care about what you spend your money on or what level of rider you are.
The only advise there would be to get over yourself. ;)
AXS Reverbs are really nice. By far the nicest dropper Rockshox has ever made. (I've used every single reverb version from the first model right up to 2021) it's still just a dropper post though and unless you have hand mobility issues with using a conventional dropper lever isn't going to make any real difference to your riding than a £100 brand X
AXS (or Di2) electrical gearing isn't going to improve anything about your riding either. and infact IME is a downgrade in control over high end mechanical shifting as you loose the fine manual control over your shifter levers and (to some extent) the timing of your shifts. It's not something I'd ever want on an Emtb where bad shifts under assistance loads can pretty easily fuck a chain and cassette. That extra fine control with a mechaincal shifter can be handy when riding in severely muddy conditions.
Other than the super light action and ability to shift multiple gears with a long press, electric shifting's next biggest benefit is no cables and no cable maintenance. But that's offset somewhat by battery maintenence/charging and the other issues that come with electrics.

If you do want AXS stick with a SRAM chain and cassette. That's what the system was designed to work with.
If you really want electric gearing but a Shimano cassette think about buying full Di2

Di2 is great on roadbikes.

flash

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
I converted one of my eBikes to AXS X01 from NX/GX combo. My other ebikes have XT11 speed.

The dropper is awesome. Love it Love it Love it. Stupid money but I'd do it again.

As for the groupset you can always run an NX 12 speed cassette on a normal Shimano hub. That's what I do and what Shram recommend on eBikes. It's a 200 gram penalty and a 200 dollar saving just on the cassette.

As for the AXS groupset....

Things I like:
- Install and set up is super easy.
- The bike looks great minus all those cables.
- You can shift either Shram or Shimano style (use you pointer/index finger to change down).
- Shifts are very smooth.
- Super easy micro adjustments.
- Battery levels and gear number show up on my Garmin.

Things I don't like:
-Terrified of destroying a very expensive mech.
_Obscenely expensive.

Performance:
Really good. Great shifts. Very quick. Which means it's no better than my XT 11 speed which also shifts perfectly and quietly. AXS is a LOT of money to get almost no performance improvements over XT. In fact I think 11 speeds is better on a full fat eBike. My AXS is on an eZesty.

Is it worth it?
Probably not. But I'm happy I did it. I love the way the bike looks. May never run a bike without an AXS dropper again though.

Gordon

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I have AXS XX1 on my Levo SL, and the Eagle X01 on my Stumpy.
I pretty much agree with everything above.

The AXS reverb is the best dropper I’ve ever used. So precise and easy - plus I love the fact I just tap a button rather than have to push a lever right in.
Makes it really easy to drop a couple of mm to add a bit more stability when cycling over bumpy trails. Expensive yes, but it’s going to be something I put on all my future bikes.

The gearing is no better than the mechanical X01 on my Stumpy. Once I got it tuned properly using the micro adjusts on the shifter, it’s fast and smooth... but so is my wired one.
Is it worth the extra expense? Probably not. Will it cost more when it breaks - yup!
Looks nice with a clean cockpit and less cables.
The actual shifter takes a bit of getting used to, but I actually really like it.
I see SRAM have now taken out an AXS shifter that looks more like their wired shifters - for people who don’t like the paddle design

I don’t see the battery life / maintenance as a downside really, as I’ve now done over 1200 miles on my SL with the AXS onboard, and I think I’ve charged the derailleur 4 times, and the dropper 3 times since they went on in February.

No cable stretch means I haven’t had to touch the adjustment of mine since installing. I guess that’s a positive!

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
Sorry for hijacking this thread, but...

If AXS is an electric shifter, so shifting with cable operated system must be acoustic shifter ?

maynard

The only advise there would be to get over yourself.
Thanks mate . I'll try that ? . Umm yeah I should of thrown in a sarcasm emoji when referring to it making be a better rider . Anyway must be my own insecurity coming out there . Who knows what I'll do . Hopefully nothing. Cos Xmas is coming and I'm gonna be out of work for about 6 weeks .

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I don’t see the battery life / maintenance as a downside really, as I’ve now done over 1200 miles on my SL with the AXS onboard, and I think I’ve charged the derailleur 4 times
Yeah. All I meant was replacing an inner cable when required at say 2-3000miles. takes up about the same time as charging would over a similar period. Neither are a great amount of hassle.

No cable stretch means I haven’t had to touch the adjustment of mine since installing. I guess that’s a positive!
Decent quality inner cables don't actually stretch. That's a myth. when folk try to pre-stretch cables when fitting a new one in actual fact it's just the cable outer end caps just needing seated properly. Outer cable does deteriorates over time and compress and this can require micro adjusting to index properly again. Pull off an old cable outer end cap and you'll often see the metal wire strands that keeps the outer cable rigid poking out.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet

The only advise there would be to get over yourself.
Thanks mate . I'll try that ? . Umm yeah I should of thrown in a sarcasm emoji when referring to it making be a better rider . Anyway must be my own insecurity coming out there . Who knows what I'll do . Hopefully nothing. Cos Xmas is coming and I'm gonna be out of work for about 6 weeks .
Yeah. I've never understood insecurity regarding buying a certain level of bike component.
almost 30 years back brand new to mtb after years of riding BMX young pikey me on recomendation by other riders bought my first set of SPD pedals and shoes to race XC on. First ride on them some serious XC racer from the local mtb club saw the shiny new pedals and his comment was "XT? you're not good enough to be riding XT". stuck up prick! at the time I didn't know the difference between XT and whatever was the lesser component model. They were just the current shimano SPD pedals as far as I was concerned. A few months on I did my first national XC race and passed the "prick" lying on his arse on a steep descent I had actually jumped into. He never did catch up again. The track was fairly technical and a couple of the descents were well above his riding level.

Buy whatever you want (if you can afford to).it's your money and you only live once.

maynard

Not shore if you Europeans have heard of the movie . BMX bandits . Well that was me as a kid .... well minus the plot line and being able to do tricks or crazy insane shit on a bike . My parents wouldn't drive me anywhere. It was bike or die .I had a bmx hybrid . Had like 3 gears or something. Weighed like 20kgs . Yet I never had a flat tyre or any catastrophic failure. Except when I tried my first big jump and tried to do something cool and just ended up scraping off the side of my face on the bmx track.

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Preferred RAD
No way Gary! You just can’t go past the classic Aussie bogan accents of BMX bandits and it had Nicole in it. Our ginger trophy!
My brother had the blue Mongoose which got passed down to me. Still got it!

maynard

Anyways I got pretty drunk last night. Got an invoice this morning from ebay for a reverb dropper. Got a 30.9 . So now I need a 34.9 shim . Should be a nice mod . The command post is so very shit . I think I'll chuck it in a spares bin just in case I sell the beast one day .

Muzza

Jul 3, 2020
New Zealand
Anyways I got pretty drunk last night. Got an invoice this morning from ebay for a reverb dropper. Got a 30.9 . So now I need a 34.9 shim . Should be a nice mod . The command post is so very shit . I think I'll chuck it in a spares bin just in case I sell the beast one day .
Just bought a Reverb myself but got a 34.9 so no shim required? Like you I am also seriously thinking of going AXS shifting on my Levo Comp. Still tossing up between the XX1 or the slightly more robust XO1 though. Bloody expensive but as Gary said, we only live once. Though that could be short if her indoors happened upon the receipt ;)

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
Just bought a Reverb myself but got a 34.9 so no shim required? Like you I am also seriously thinking of going AXS shifting on my Levo Comp. Still tossing up between the XX1 or the slightly more robust XO1 though. Bloody expensive but as Gary said, we only live once. Though that could be short if her indoors happened upon the receipt ;)
Go for robust - you're paying a lot more for a bit of carbon on the XX1

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
If you've got a quick release seat clamp make sure you swap to a more secure one before someone walks off with your seatpost

maynard

Got my reverb AXS . Nice bit off kit . Took my bike with me on a solo camping trip . Well took the dog too . Yep love the AXS . So much better than my crap command post . My 30.9 fit with a shim to 34.9 . Shim was a rip off 30$ . I should off just cut up some coke cans . Ha ha complaining about a 30 dollar shim when I spent 1000$ on a seat . Yep worth it. my girlfriend doesn't tell me price of beauty creams and i don't tell her about bike stuff .good deal .

maynard

If you've got a quick release seat clamp make sure you swap to a more secure one before someone walks off with your seatpost
Mine has Allen key . Which u could access with my SWAT tool .. ill just stick my hat on it . Anyways they would be better off bringing bolt cutters . Then they could steal all the shit of it and sell it to there dodgy mates. I don't really leave my bike unattended in city's except for quick shop stops . I might have to up the value on my insurance though.

Vilt

Feb 13, 2019
Berg en Terblijt, The Netherlands
I love my AXS X01 on my Levo. You can install a PG-1230 casette on your shimano hub, no need to get an XD hub. If you already have an XD hub, just get any eagle cassette - preferrably not the XX1 ones.

Is it worth the money? Depends on how much money you have.

Is it pure smoothness when shifting... yes. Every. Single. Time.

Is the Reverb AXS sweet? Yes it is. Is that worth the money? Definitely not. Is it cool? Yes.

maynard

I love my AXS X01 on my Levo. You can install a PG-1230 casette on your shimano hub, no need to get an XD hub. If you already have an XD hub, just get any eagle cassette - preferrably not the XX1 ones.

Is it worth the money? Depends on how much money you have.

Is it pure smoothness when shifting... yes. Every. Single. Time.

Is the Reverb AXS sweet? Yes it is. Is that worth the money? Definitely not. Is it cool? Yes.
I have gone a bit crazy lately with upgrades. So AXS eagle might need to wait a couple of weeks .

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles