The What kind of Rider are you - Tyre thread ..

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
We already have the Ultimate tyre thread :

A great source of information on tyre types, what are generally considered the "best", tyre pressures, wear, longevity.

I didn't want to detract from that with lots of parallel individualistic views so we have this ..

Ultimately, all tyres are a compromise in one way or another. You compromise straight line speed over grip, weight over strength and endless other factors.

What is seldom taken into consideration though is that we're all very different riders and whilst tyre types are classified, rider types aren't. As individuals our tyre requirements and compromises will depend on how we ride, where we ride, experience and a host of other factors.

As I improve as a rider, I'd like to think that one day I'd reach a classification of "Old lady in a Monster Truck". At present, no matter how I look at it, I'm a "Tank Commander". I'm sure someone who has a lifetime of DH riding behind them, like Gary , would be something like a "Surgical Assassin". No matter how much I like to think I can pick the perfect line, invariably, I'm going too fast, I'm off line, I'm bouncing off rocks and my technique - I call "Pinballing".

For me, my previous tyres and experiences as a Muppet have been :

Hutchinson Cougar's. These were obviously the bastard love child of a condom engineer and a tefal none slip coating engineer.

Maxxis Icon's. Super low resistance to rolling or anything even remotely none blunt from the sides.

DHR/DHF. Super cool. Excellent Grip. Confidence inspiring. Really noisy - it's like driving a tractor. Like riding with your brakes on.

Specialized Butchers. Great in the dry. Literally like walking a tightrope of electrified barbed wire and razor blades in the wet - Cunningly designed to stop Spesh riders using their ebikes bikes when it's raining.

Michelin E-wilds. Amazing. Actually nothing I don't like about them for a "Tank Commander". Not a single problem or puncture in their lifespan.

Michelin DH22's. Ordered. Not tried. Fancied something a bit more indestructable and narrower (2.4) to see how that made the bike feel. Heavier than the e-wilds so could be a catastrophic disaster but I figure they might blend in well with my riding style.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I'm actually loose AF but strangely smooth at the same time.
If I were a surgeon we'd probably have way more sketchy (but smooth) dudes like these two running around.

Celebrity-Plastic-Surgery-Disasters-750x400.jpg

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
As I improve as a rider, I'd like to think that one day I'd reach a classification of "Old lady in a Monster Truck". At present, no matter how I look at it, I'm a "Tank Commander".
I fancy myself as a Tank Commander too... I like to charge, but have every reason to retreat at the same time.

p-KjXkWBnftz9X-Sxn4FuUJItiPNqxU6LwgxQn2O3Po.jpg

My tyres?
I like 'em noisy on the streets, but sticky in slimy clay. No really, serious...

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I used to have a whippet. She could wake up, jump off the couch, and make like a ninja through all the upright half full wine glasses and bottles on the floor no problemo. It was an awesome party trick. They say people are like their dogs :oops: :ROFLMAO:.

maynard

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
I thought a good one . Untill i hit a singletrack. Ummm yeah rubbish . Reminds me of the first time I fly fished in a river . Had only fished lakes before that . Ummm yeah total new ball game . I can fish rivers now ? still a crap rider though. And everytime I chicken out on that big jump near my house. Im reminded that my balls ain't that big .

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I thought a good one . Untill i hit a singletrack. Ummm yeah rubbish . Reminds me of the first time I fly fished in a river . Had only fished lakes before that . Ummm yeah total new ball game . I can fish rivers now ? still a crap rider though. And everytime I chicken out on that big jump near my house. Im reminded that my balls ain't that big .
It's all relative though, isn't it. I'm not a great rider and hope I didn't give that impression. For me I prefer picking lines and missing stuff - not hitting those big rocks, manoeuvring up technical climbs, slow drops, slow technical descents and I'm getting into fast and flowy with berms too. I'm aiming for style, skill and smoothness. I don't slide out (I might be anal retentive?) and I have to focus on keeping my hands loose and my body moving. So long as I'm improving (or believe I'm improving) I'm happy. I'm also trying to get there with minimal injuries - although there is a balance there too it seems :ROFLMAO:. There's always going to be better riders. Those really good riders also pay a price for their skill too though. Skateboarders, bmx riders that can do awesome stuff - they've all had their fair share of injuries and have put in lots of time. I think it comes down to what you want and how much you're prepared to give. I'm guessing zimmerframe's question is not how good you are, but "what kind of rider are you". We all have aims and goals. I sometimes ride with a guy who's a good rider, better than me at many things, but he's gone through two sets of cranks, and a set of wheels, and other stuff that he doesn't tell me about in the same time frame. He's definitely a different style of rider - he likes going down fast and that's his only reason for riding up. In contrast I'm easy on bikes it seems; low tyre pressures, low suspension pressures, less suspension etc and we ride the same stuff. He's faster and harder, but I don't hit what he does and I like the climbs as much as the descents.

My tyres (the rest of zimmer's question): assegai front is a keeper. I've been using dhrII and dhf on the rear - but I think I'd really like the schwalbe eddy current rear. I've got a thing for high volume trials type tyres, round profile with smooth transition to the sides - no channels where you have to commit to the side knobs as in the dhf. I have a mullet, so 2.6 rear and 2.5 front. Although the assegai isn't huge volume so I'll try 2.6 next.

Last edited:

maynard

well ok .
It's all relative though, isn't it. I'm not a great rider and hope I didn't give that impression. For me I prefer picking lines and missing stuff - not hitting those big rocks, manoeuvring up technical climbs, slow drops, slow technical descents and I'm getting into fast and flowy with berms too. I'm aiming for style, skill and smoothness. So long as I'm improving (or believe I'm improving) I'm happy. I'm also trying to get there with minimal injuries - although there is a balance there too it seems :ROFLMAO:. There's always going to be better riders. Those really good riders also pay a price for their skill too though. Skateboarders, bmx riders that can do awesome stuff - they've all had their fair share of injuries and have put in lots of time. I think it comes down to what you want and how much you're prepared to give. I'm guessing zimmerframe's question is not how good you are, but "what kind of rider are you". We all have aims and goals. I sometimes ride with a guy who's a good rider, better than me at many things, but he's gone through two sets of cranks, and set of wheels, and other stuff that he doesn't tell me about in the same time frame - he's definitely a different style of rider - he likes going down fast. In contrast I'm easy on bikes it seems; low tyre pressures, low suspension pressures, less suspension etc and we ride the same stuff. He's faster and harder, but I don't hit what he does and I like the climbs as much as the descents.
Well I don't know what type of rider I am cos I only just started . I'm definitely cautious. And don't like going around corners fast . The fact that i bought a levo which has a turning circle of a truck doesn't help . I love going fast and hitting small jumps . And I think the massive chainstay has saved me a few times . So I suppose I'm a novice at this stage .

maynard

Me thinks if you wanna be a great mtn biker you gotta get injured. Then get up and do it again. No fear . That's why being a good mtn biker is hard core. Just like being a good skateboarder . Or a good horse rider . Or maybe footballer. Or rock climbing. Anyways my ebike let's me hang in the same playground as these guys . Cos before ebikes I couldnt . Anyways with a bit of practice maybe i can be hard core too . Yep I'm shopping for a normal mtn bike ATM. I sold my old one when I bought my first ebike.

Varaxis

Founding Member
Feb 5, 2018
California, USA
I'm a rider with PTSD who tries to face all their past trauma with cold hard logic.

I'll be emotionally numb, make pragmatic decisions, and be distracted by whatever my mind decided to focus on, which sometimes borders on delusion. I'm basically trying to set myself up to fight the delusion, but still do emotionally-charged things that I am self-aware of; I curse at my helplessness in trying to gain self-control, so I put effort into prevention. I sometimes roll with it unashamedly, especially if I find something illogical and seek to correct that, as if it were my character duty to do so.

I organically ended up on a setup of a Fat Albert 29x2.35 SnakeSkin up front, with CushCore, and a Maxxis Assegai 29x2.5 rear DH casing, both on a 21mm ID UST rim. Reducing the likelihood of getting stranded by a rear tire failure, which I've had over half a dozen of in the past 18 months.

paquo

Jul 31, 2018
usa
Me thinks if you wanna be a great mtn biker you gotta get injured. Then get up and do it again.
Ah yes that is a good philosophy until you try to get up one day and you try and try to move but nothing . I used to like the race king and renegade type tires because i needed any help i could get going up hill, but now with the cheater i can run the monster truck tires and adjust power output to suit.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I don’t have a “pain-off” button on my bike yet so my past-crash locations give me pause. Sometimes it takes a few rides before I’ll go thru that spot again. I know I should get back on that horse but it takes 2-3 rides before my memory fades or necessity over-rules. My riding style is best described as a caterpillar in a wave-pool with a splash of “oh sh*+”. There are some moments though such as changing my front tire, fixing up a trail or just focusing. I don’t know …if I can’t walk it I probably can’t ride it. For now anyways...then I’ll try it.
Rear grip seems very important when going up through the rocks. I’ve chewed through a few without a puncture. The Bontrager se5’s seem ok but I’m spinning out quite a bit. Gonna try the Pirelli scorpion R and see how that works. Maybe we have really hard rocks??

Kentish

Nov 5, 2019
Kent
I'm actually loose AF but strangely smooth at the same time.
If I were a surgeon we'd probably have way more sketchy (but smooth) dudes like these two running around.

View attachment 37368

I don’t give a monkeys about the tyres, but jesus that pic is disturbing!!! ??I’ll never unsee that. (Unless I pop back for a sneaky look later just to make sure)

daju

Apr 21, 2019
manchester by the sea, ma
I still haven't found what I'm looking for......
A lot of steep short granite rock climbs here
Minimal to no mud riding on the Levo
Going to try a MAXXIS REKON 29 X 2.8 on the rear
Tubeliss with Cushcore of course

PS: Riding for a long time but still suck

MartinW148

May 30, 2018
Essex, England
I guess I would call myself an upright rider, I'm happy while I'm upright...

I don't do crashing, I'd rather go slower so I' never going to be more than an improver. Currently trying to improve cornering and corner speed.

Tyre wise, still on the original 2.8 ikon's, these are going for some smaller rims and 2.6 ikons

Teriatric

Subscriber
Oct 29, 2021
North East England
I was doing DH runs (very slowly, very nervously and quite badly) in my early fifties and enjoying it, but really an XC type. Never got on with flatties as my feet came off on every landing with appropriate pain inducement. Twenty years later I'm somewhat more nervous, keep well away from anything over a 2 foot drop, and scared stiff of steep and lumpy trails. However I'm loving the feel of a bike on steep and lumpy trails that weighs more than twice what I started on. I have good young friends and two early e-bike adopters my age to thank for steering me into powered MTBing. Oh, and this forum is brilliant.

flash

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
We ride a variety of tracks here. Either dry, dusty, rocky blown out cross country, or dry, dusty, rocky blown out *flow* or dry, dusty, rocky blown out enduro. Throw in some roots and lots of trees to ride into. In my ideal world I'd move to Blue Derby but I am where I am. I really like it when I get my line right, which is all about missing the biggest chunk.

The easier a track is the more damage I tend to do. Broken ribs twice. Both on green trails. It's a concentration thing. But I'm getting semi decent in the corners and slowly getting a couple of feet in the air. So I'd say improving. A lot in the last 12 months. A solid red, slow black rider. My happy place would be Little Chook at Blue Derby. 10 foot berms one after the other. Or the first 13kms of the Bay of fires trail.....

Assegai 2.5 DD on front. Agressor 2.5 DD on the back. 21 and 24 psi seems to be my goldilocks zone. Occasionally a DHRII or the back if it gets wet which is rare. It's bone dry 3 hours after rain. Currently on a mullet. Have only had one track side repair in 18 months. Normally I wear them out before they puncture although the side walls do tend to get really beat up. No thorns or that stuff to worry about here. Had a DHF on the front for a bit but the transition zone didn't work for me. Anything less than an Aggressor has no grip at all in the dust. It is possible to get the back to go out but rarely if you're not doing it deliberately.

Gordon

jonmat

Feb 22, 2020
Sheffield
I'm old and not that fit. Tyre choice is so subjective to how and where you ride you're bike. I've tried loads of different tyres over the past few years. I have a full suspension EMTB, Orbea Wild FS came with Maxxis Minion tyres which are great. I changed them last summer for Continental Urban as they make a massive difference to rolling resistance. They are a great tyre for what I use them for, which is a mixture of cycle paths and off road trails. Obviously the grip's not as good as the Minion DH tyres, but they increase my battery range on long rides. When I go out for a ride with my son and we coast downhill, I have to brake so I don't pass him. When t comes to deep mud, it doesn't matter what sort of MTB tyres you use, the treads get blocked and it's time to push your bike.

Mabman

Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
I am a half fast cheap arse rider that gets tires given to him so I make them work and don't complain and do my best to support the brand by not sharpying out their logos.

emtboulder

Jun 2, 2022
Boulder, CO
I'm an older rider who likes to ride technical trails in the mountains and deserts of Colorado and Utah. Just bought a used Rail 7 with 197 miles on it and slightly worn original Bontrager XR5 Team Issue 2.6" tires. Yep, the tires that are pretty consistently mentioned as a weak point of the bike in expert reviews. My plan is to wear 'em out just because they're there, but so far I'm not impressed with their grip or robustness. On just my second ride, after charging down a steep chunky trail, my rear was flat the next morning and needed a recharge of stans which had just been done a few days before.
Plan is to wear out the rear and replace it with a Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5 I have in my parts drawer. When the front goes either another Minion DHF 2.6 or Assegai 2.6 will go there. Eventually a Minion DHR on the rear. Seems like just about everyone out here is running Maxxis Minion, Assegai, or Agressor. Beefy tires are the way to go in rocky, harsh terrain.
In the long run I'd like to put a sturdy agressive Maxxis 2.8 tire up front, but haven't seen that they make one. Maybe 2.6 is enough for the 28mm internal stock rims?

beej

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2021
Melbourne, AUS
Slightly older rider here (47). My 'zone' is I like carrying speed as much as possible through every turn. I have downhill sections on trails I often ride where I'll just avoid pedalling the whole run as a means of making me try and take all the corners faster than I did last time. I'm in my happy place when I'm right on my buddy's rear tyre and he's having to pedal and all I hear is my freehub. In larger groups we even have roll races on wider sections of downhill - winner is they who get the highest up the opposite hill at the bottom. I'm looking at every rut and rock on the trail at all time, looking for the smoothest, fastest option. Concentrating to this degree for 90+ minutes does wonders for my mental health.

Can't jump as well as the young-uns, and I have a background caution process running while riding due to having 2 x dud shoulders (glenoid dysplasia) and having dislocated them half a dozen times from FOOSH crashes on the trails - often when trying something risky (like a big jump).

The aforementioned 'speed carrying' disposition usually has me choosing tyres with chunky knobs on the edge of the tread to hold traction while cornering. I'll take grip over rolling resistance. Currently DHF's front & back on the old 26" AM bike, and Ardents on the 29" hardtail. Haven't bought tyres for 5+ years, or a bike for over 10 years. About to pull the trigger on a Rail 9.8XT, and since every time I've ventured away from Maxxis it's been terrible, replacing the stock Bonty tyres will be the first step following frame protection tape. Looking at Assegai 29 x 2.6 in a 3C up front, and still deciding on a rear - possibly DHR2 2.6 with a double-down casing, single compound, if such a tyre exists. Alternatively, a Dissector in similar spec. Investigating Cushcore inserts as well.

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
Your knock off Eames is missing its knock off Ottoman.

ETA: I take it all back, it's hiding behind your coil shock. 👓

Last edited:

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
I swap tires like I swap women.

I also ride bikes like I ride women. Sloppy, usually drunk, and take ridiculous risks. Pretty skilled but there’s always someone better than me.

new build is almost finished. Got frame new for 1500. Only needed to buy cranks and shifter all else came from spar parts bin. 🍻
View attachment 89888

Cool, no brakes. Who needs them anyway 😬

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles