The Voima coil shock thread

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
Today I put a Bomber coil on my Voima with a 425lb EXT spring. I'm 88kg. Didn't measure sag before riding. Shock felt overdamped...rebound fully open and still too slow. Too much low speed compression damping. Did a few jumps and drops and landings are completely pillow like. Overall not terrible but there's way more to come. Felt like it held the rear too high so when I got home I checked sag and it was around 18mm or 24% shock sag.

Shock will be sent away for tuning as the standard tune is rubbish but I was expecting this. When it gets back I'll try it with a 400lb spring.

On another note the bike was significantly quieter with the coil shock vs the Kitsuma air shock.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Yeah, first ride in on my voima at 425lb and its too firm. im 78kg.
Ill be swapping down to a 400 next. i might land on a 375.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Ext calc is close to truth maybe add 25 for very aggressive riding, suspension lab might be onto something as well.
Also remember - you get 2 springs with ext shock! I’d get 400 and 375 if I was 80kg. More aggressive riding might call for 425 and 400.

Certainly skip calculators giving you 500 or 350, that’s a complete miss.

I’m 95-110 kg riding weight depending on season and cycle between 500 and 475 springs on pole machine on my ext arma (same length/stroke as slayer, 160mm rear travel).

Started with 600 on Voima - it was ok-ish and very supportive, currently on 500 but probably 525-550 is better for my current weight, I’m loosing it rapidly however and will shrink into 500 fine in couple of months. Goal is to be 90-95 bare, 100 riding on 500 spring on Voima, 475 on machine.
Well after testing the EXT calculator was right. I've settled on 400lb. 425 was too firm.
400 is giving me 29% sag.

I'm also getting 375 spring for when i'm hutting the buttery in the steep mountain rooty off camber tech.

Gandalf

Dec 16, 2020
Germany
What bushings did you use on the EXT E-Storia?
New ordered or the "old" from the existing damper removed

regards Erwin

Gandalf

Dec 16, 2020
Germany
Conversion finished

2023-07-18_15-03-38_568.jpg

THA

Sep 16, 2023
Finland
I went quite strait forward to RS. Mainly because
- very reliable coil shocks, I've had these on 6 different bikes during over 10 years, not a single failure in any temperature (from -25 C to +30+ C) - serviced on time or in advance
- I can custom tune it in less time than ship the shock to Finnish dealer
- I'm quite familiar with RS, have already suitable shims, seals, etc. at home
- very easily maintainable, minimal set of special tools required and all of them already at home
- don't really know EXT, but I've learned to make RS quite well suited for me and the kind of terrain I ride

Lightme

Subscriber
Jul 17, 2020
Sydney
Just put a RS Super Deluxe Ultimate Coil on mine. Really good. Still fiddling with settings, but very plush.

Reactions: THA

THA

Sep 16, 2023
Finland
Just put a RS Super Deluxe Ultimate Coil on mine. Really good. Still fiddling with settings, but very plush.
I found out today that R Linear, C L is quite nice base tune for 54 kg mediocre enduro rider, so I suppose most of the other riders would benefit harder base tunes. Just saying that RS base tunes are quite soft for most..

THA

Sep 16, 2023
Finland
Quick poll, please answer within one week.

I'm between two coil's / sag's. Current one (250 lbs/in) gives 25 % - 27 % sag, depending on how far back I sit. In the bike park (red, mostly Enduro lines) HBO makes it's sound a few times per 100 m descent. My other option would be 225 lbs/in, which would increase the sag around 28-30 %.

Kaisa from Pole suggested (with stock air shock) 27-35 % sag. But I figured that with lighter rider bike's weight becomes more dominant, so rider sag should be less than average...

Thus, what I would like to know from others, that ended up to coil shock (especially with HBO/HBC):
- what sag You ended up and what was the closest, but finally not the best option
- what is Your weight
- what do You mainly ride and would You go more/less sag if You would ride more trail/bike parks/enduro
- do You feel that Your shock works properly for a "do-it-all" bike

Thanks everyone already (Y)

Onetime

Aug 10, 2022
Cali

I'm between two coil's / sag's. Current one (250 lbs/in) gives 25 % - 27 % sag, depending on how far back I sit. In the bike park (red, mostly Enduro lines) HBO makes it's sound a few times per 100 m descent. My other option would be 225 lbs/in, which would increase the sag around 28-30 %.

Kaisa from Pole suggested (with stock air shock) 27-35 % sag. But I figured that with lighter rider bike's weight becomes more dominant, so rider sag should be less than average...

Thus, what I would like to know from others, that ended up to coil shock (especially with HBO/HBC):
- what sag You ended up and what was the closest, but finally not the best option
- what is Your weight
- what do You mainly ride and would You go more/less sag if You would ride more trail/bike parks/enduro

I run a Fox X2 air shock with 28% sag, I weigh about 175 with all my gear and hydration pack and I ride everything from trail to double black trails and park and everything in between, chunky steep, fast flow, jumps, drops etc.

BigG

Feb 15, 2023
US, SoCal
I’m heavy rider (500-600 spring) but I also feel that 27-28% sag is sweet spot, as long as you can actually use full travel (depends on shock setup and BO control).
I rode both on 27 and 33, strongly prefer the former. It’s poppier, lively yet still forgiving enough. 33-35 is a bit too muted for my liking. 30% is a nice middle ground.

• Helpful

THA

Sep 16, 2023
Finland
I run a Fox X2 air shock with 28% sag, I weigh about 175 with all my gear and hydration pack and I ride everything from trail to double black trails and park and everything in between, chunky steep, fast flow, jumps, drops etc.
X2 is so different. Is the shock tuned for You and Voima?

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand

- what is Your weight

77kg in birthday suit. 80kg riding weight. 400lb spring ext arma with hbo.

29% sag. Rides firmish on small/medium bump (feels plusher than 165/170 enduro bike but firmer than dh bike) but has dh bike capacity when hitting big lines.

I'm riding everything from road to national downhill and double black runs. Gaps to 10mand drops with downs to 4.5m vert. I soft bottom on hardest drop.

When I asked as similar question months ago I got wildly different answers. Then discovered than quite a few Voima owners are riding well well below the performance limits of the bike and riding relatively easy tracks mainly. Those guys some times set up the suspension super firm to make the bike feel more similar to the enduro/trail bikes they are used to ride or super plush because they aren't hitting the bigger lines.

• Haha

Onetime

Aug 10, 2022
Cali
X2 is so different. Is the shock tuned for You and Voima?
Tuned for me by me. I have a shock wiz and I set it up on my first Voima along with my 40 and later transferred both to my new Voima race ID. Super plush magic carpet ride and handles everything great. 🤘🏻😎

THA

Sep 16, 2023
Finland
Tuned for me by me. I have a shock wiz and I set it up on my first Voima along with my 40 and later transferred both to my new Voima race ID. Super plush magic carpet ride and handles everything great. 🤘🏻😎
I kind of suspected that - I almost envy You, it's not always so nice to be "undersized" ;)

THA

Sep 16, 2023
Finland
When I asked as similar question months ago I got wildly different answers. Then discovered than quite a few Voima owners are riding well .... they aren't hitting the bigger lines.
I'm kind of that group... FR really isn't for me but I don't see Voima as FR bike either... it's though interesting how Voima performs under Your abuse (Y). And so much sag, I suppose it's not that nice/grippy damping on rooty, rocky trails :eek:

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
I'm kind of that group... FR really isn't for me but I don't see Voima as FR bike either... it's though interesting how Voima performs under Your abuse (Y). And so much sag, I suppose it's not that nice/grippy damping on rooty, rocky trails :eek:
The set up I have at the mo feels pretty good. Its enduro bike firmish for the easier tracks. I'm probably runniong to 160mm of travel maybe 170mm on the non-double black runs, That still plusher than a 160mm trail bike but not as squishy as a full DH rig. But when I hit into faster chuckier DH lines it then taps into the deeper portion of the travel. The faster and chunkier you go the more the Voima makes sense. Then you see the true performance of the bike when you are smashing full pace down crazy ass chunder.

Rooty, rocky stuff at pace is sublime. The bike tracks true like a rig and smashes through. That is if you can man up and let it fly, which requires some kahones because you are going FAST by that stage. If you don't man up and go fast enough then you wont tap into the next level of voima sillyness and its like riding control 170mm enduro bike rather than a full blown DH bike.

• Haha

THA

Sep 16, 2023
Finland
...Then you see the true performance of the bike when you are smashing full pace down crazy ass chunder.
... If you don't man up and go fast enough then you wont tap into the next level of voima sillyness and its like riding control 170mm enduro bike rather than a full blown DH bike.
The bike definitely calls rider to ride faster. When I at first took speed on safe side to something I never before even thouhgt to double, a few run's later I almost did. Because I was able to increase my speed time after time, simultaneously hitting the next bump every time harder than ever, but still without any problem. And at the end I almost doubled that - didn't land the rear properly, but it didn't send my feet from pedals or nothing else sketchy happened.
I compared Polar data, 1:35 before, with Voima 1:20 - huge difference and at least once I didn't just feel faster, I actually was. Even though I needed to brake on rocky sections, due the shortcoming's in front suspension.
RS coil seems to work excellent.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
The bike definitely calls rider to ride faster. When I at first took speed on safe side to something I never before even thouhgt to double, a few run's later I almost did. Because I was able to increase my speed time after time, simultaneously hitting the next bump every time harder than ever, but still without any problem. And at the end I almost doubled that - didn't land the rear properly, but it didn't send my feet from pedals or nothing else sketchy happened.
I compared Polar data, 1:35 before, with Voima 1:20 - huge difference and at least once I didn't just feel faster, I actually was. Even though I needed to brake on rocky sections, due the shortcoming's in front suspension.
RS coil seems to work excellent.
Oh yeah!. Keep sending it and get some footage. We need more Voima ridden in anger footage.

Bollox

Oct 12, 2022
Sweden
Just found this thread after posting a separate post :rolleyes:

Anyone running or considered running an Öhlins TTX22M or TTX22M.2 coil on their Voima?

Bollox

Oct 12, 2022
Sweden
Yeah, first ride in on my voima at 425lb and its too firm. im 78kg.
Ill be swapping down to a 400 next. i might land on a 375.
How did that work out? I am looking at the Öhlins TTX22m, and their calculator suggests 411lb spring, and I am 83-84 Kg fully kitted out.

Blownoutrides

Mar 22, 2021
USA
FYI I’ve got a barely used EXT Arma I’m looking to part with if anyone is interested. This shock really transforms the bike - turned it into an absolute trophy truck.

—SOLD—

Last edited:

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
How did that work out? I am looking at the Öhlins TTX22m, and their calculator suggests 411lb spring, and I am 83-84 Kg fully kitted out.
400 is the go for me at 76-77kg in my birthday suit. 80kg ready to ride.

That's firm ish with the ability to huck some decent drops without bottoming. But still way blusher than NY 165mm enduro mtn

Bollox

Oct 12, 2022
Sweden
Just ordered an Öhlins TTX22M.2 shock (without coil) for the Voima.

Järvsö Bikepark here in Sweden were selling off Öhlins coils for €60 a pop, so ordered a 411 and a 388 spring from there (I vary between 78 and 82Kgs kitted out).

Now I have to wait 😎

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles