The Voima coil shock thread

Karve

Subscriber
Jan 12, 2021
UK
Do you know it’s progression?
voima-leverage-ratio-960x832.png

Seems to be a good mix of coil and air setups from customers... with people happy with both... the racers and sponsored riders mix it up too... but most seem to have settled on a coil.

Last edited:

Dozer

Oct 13, 2022
Norway
What category of suspension does the Sensei suspension fall into in regards to calculating spring rate? Single Pivot/DW-Link or 4 Bar/VPP - ref tftuned website

Screenshot_20221015-010913.png

leo_kokkonen

Official Pole
Subscriber
Oct 13, 2022
Finland
What category of suspension does the Sensei suspension fall into in regards to calculating spring rate? Single Pivot/DW-Link or 4 Bar/VPP - ref tftuned website

View attachment 99273
I would look at the 4 Bar side. I feel that the recommended spring rate is too soft for me (399). I haven't tried coil on Voima other than the car park, but Joe Nation said he ended up with 475 lb per inch. He is similar weight as me, and we have the same setting on our air shocks. The reason why guys raced air shocks was to save weight. I have never had a softer coil than 400 on our bikes.

Nevertheless, Joe and I have a racer setup on our bikes. It would be easier first to borrow some springs and decide what suits you.

Dozer

Oct 13, 2022
Norway
Thank you Leo. So about 20% higher than the calculation on tftuned should be in the ballpark then.

leo_kokkonen

Official Pole
Subscriber
Oct 13, 2022
Finland
I would look at the 4 Bar side. I feel that the recommended spring rate is too soft for me (399). I haven't tried coil on Voima other than the car park, but Joe Nation said he ended up with 475 lb per inch. He is similar weight as me, and we have the same setting on our air shocks. The reason why guys raced air shocks was to save weight. I have never had a softer coil than 400 on our bikes.

Nevertheless, Joe and I have a racer setup on our bikes. It would be easier first to borrow some springs and decide what suits you.
Joe is using EXT superlight spring, which he feels is softer than the equivalent RS spring.

Gandalf

Dec 16, 2020
Germany
Hi guys
where in Europo can I order the springs. I would need one
VALT Spring - 76mm/3.00in x 550lbs - AAD2470, does anyone have an idea

TonTonUB

May 27, 2020
France
I'm very curious to see a Voima equipped with the upcoming E-aria from EXt, paired with the ERA V2 in 190 mm ... my Precccioussss ! :p
... and to test one, even more ... if anyone with such a bike could come lose itself here around my 'terres noires' for an advertising spot ... dream coming true .... Precious !

TonTonUB

May 27, 2020
France
get An EXT Arma. There’s no point in a shock that locks out on an e-bike and especially the Voima which has so little bob anyway. Is EXT planning on a 190mm fork? I’ve not seen that.

Hello,

At eurobike, they showed a 190mm version of the ERA, and an air-shock :
click me !

And again, i insist on the fact that Voima NEEEEEED a proper advertising trip in the 'terres noires' :love:
I'll just need the exact day and perfect spot to ambush it :p

NickyTee

Sep 20, 2022
UK
Yesterday, I visited Mojo Rising. Initially, I wanted to see if their MORC 40 drop crowns would help with my Fox-49-arch-hits-the-Voima-headtube problem.

I had already gained around 3mm clearance by fitting a Works Components +5mm reach adjust headset. Thanks to @Dirtnvert for the idea.

It turns out that the MORC crowns didn’t offer me any further clearance. I was a bit gutted, because they’re lovely pieces of machining. However, Chris P worked his magic, finding just enough room with my existing Fox crowns to clear the fork seals by a few mm. He also hooked me up with a used set of Fox 40 crowns of the same age, since my steerer tube was also a few mm too short for safety at the limit. My Fox 49 is now safe and ready to ride.

Jack had built an EXT E-Storia for me, based on email chat earlier in the week. The shock is fitted with a 600lb spring, and I also took away a 575lb spring for sloppy winter riding. The guys took great care in fitting the shock to my frame - brilliant!

Thanks to both Chris and Jack for their amazing work yesterday. It’s always good to talk to experts in their field, and they’re super-nice guys with it.

IMG_0418.jpeg

IMG_0419.jpeg

IMG_0423.jpeg

IMG_0427.jpeg

BigG

Feb 15, 2023
US, SoCal
@Rob Rides EMTB What happened to e-storia, is it on demo Voima?
I chatted with EXT folks in Sedona this March, and they strongly suggested going with e-storia over arma for Voima. Not because of steel shaft, because oil volumes and adjustment range on storia are larger.
And they said that ext long travel fork is not really there yet, but will be sometime later.
EXT arma v2 on my Pole Machine is best shock I ever had, it worked so well from the factory with custom bike/weight/style tune that I never touched any settings. Probably just adjusted rebound once while above 2500m alt mark due to major temperature drop.
While CCDB Kitsuma on mine feels nice and can be tuned, nothing beats personal custom shimstack tune from pros.
When the EXT Era LT is out I’ll probably swap ZEB to it, and probably shock as well.

Durrti

Aug 22, 2021
California
Just put a used EXT Arma on the Voima, it’s absolutely amazing!! Ridden it with the DB Kitsuma, the X2 and a Bomber. The EXT performs way better. Game changer!!

BigG

Feb 15, 2023
US, SoCal
I have CaneCreek Kitsuma Coil that came with the bike spec.
I weight ~110 kg / 240 lbs kitted, but slimming down rapidly with more riding.
Pole only had 500lbs coils, I got myself 600 coil directly from CaneCreek and it provides like 29% sag for my weight, I probably need a 550 coil for current weight or just loose some down to get on 500lbs spring.

Still dealing with setup, but it works great so far. I cant compare to air shock on this bike - never tried and strongly prefer coil.
I have pretty chunky trails around and never had any complaints about the shock after I dialed rebounds.
I’ve set compressions to what CC recommends for me and found it spot on.
I had to slow down rebound from recommended, otherwise bike was too springy and kicking back on g-outs and berms/turns.

I find that pedal/soft lockout absolutely unnecessary on Voima, as suspension resists bobbing VERY well, and cadence on ebike is very stable and consistent, so less influence on suspension too.

CC shocks take a lot of time and experimentation to set up, recommended settings are good starting point, as long as your coil is adequate for the weight.

I’m considering getting an EXT e-storia in near future.
I have ext ARMA v2 on my pole machine and it’s the best shock I ever ridden, simply no contest, especially with smashpot-ted fork.

However when I spoke with guys from EXT suspension they suggested going e-storia over arma for Voima. And not because e designation or steel shaft.
Storia has more oil, more adjustments and wider range.
Arma has adjustable bottom out, but less other knobs with less effect.

I’m not unhappy with Kitsuma at all, but EXT feels better on other bike.

Blownoutrides

Mar 22, 2021
USA
Any advice on coil sizing?

I’m 6’4” 245lbs kitted up and TFtuned calc is showing 475-500lbs for 4-bar. Does that sound right?

Should I be adding another ~20lbs for the added weight of the motor/battery etc.?

Probably going with a RS SDU as it looks like getting an EXT E-Storia built to 250x75 will be a science project. I guess I could just go with their Arma DH shock - doubt I’ll be using the climb switch on an ebike (?).

Lightme

Subscriber
Jul 17, 2020
Sydney
I find tftuned too light. This one seems one seems pretty spot on. Good shop too.

Durrti

Aug 22, 2021
California

I’m 6’4” 245lbs kitted up and TFtuned calc is showing 475-500lbs for 4-bar. Does that sound right?

Should I be adding another ~20lbs for the added weight of the motor/battery etc.?

Probably going with a RS SDU as it looks like getting an EXT E-Storia built to 250x75 will be a science project. I guess I could just go with their Arma DH shock - doubt I’ll be using the climb switch on an ebike (?).
Ext has a spring calculator and it was dead on for my Arma.

Blownoutrides

Mar 22, 2021
USA
Ext has a spring calculator and it was dead on for my Arma.
Oh so you have the Arma on your Voima?! How’s it go?

Figure I’m supposed to get the E-Storia cause I’m a big human and it’s built extra strong for e-bikes and stuff but the idea of custom building a shock to get to 250/75 seems like a bridge too far.

BigG

Feb 15, 2023
US, SoCal

We seem to be pretty similar in weight/height department. I would say look at 500-550.
I’m 240 bare, more kitted but not by much, on 600 spring and it’s good but I think 550 would be better for me.
I have 500 as well, it’s too mushy for me and over 35% sag. Need to loose another 20-30lb before it will work.

Ext e-storia is available in voima sizing, it’s just not listed on US website, but it is on italian. I spoke to ext usa folks in person - they totally can order the right eye to eye shock.
They also have springs in 25 increments and supply 2 springs with each shock. So if you order 500, they will supply 500 and 475, or you can ask for other rate. Also ask them too for advice.

Like i said in post above in this thread - ext folks suggested going storia vs arma.
Climb switch is not needed on voima indeed, but you get wider settings range.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
I'm speccing up a ext right now.....

My own calcs gets me to a 438lb. That's based on my 3 other bikes which have coil shocks.
The slayer with using the 1.65 spring lb to total kg ratio my spreadsheet spits out 438lb. I'll spec a 425 and a 450 spring.
1684010097328.png

The EXT spring calculator has me at 375/400

1684009568504.png

Cyclinic calculates 500lb

1684009620596.png

TF tuned suggests 357!

1684009726508.png

Suspension lab

Gets me to 422 depending on the riding style.

This calculator seems to be a bit better because you can option riding style as well.

1684009887207.png

1684009372495.png

BigG

Feb 15, 2023
US, SoCal
Ext calc is close to truth maybe add 25 for very aggressive riding, suspension lab might be onto something as well.
Also remember - you get 2 springs with ext shock! I’d get 400 and 375 if I was 80kg. More aggressive riding might call for 425 and 400.

Certainly skip calculators giving you 500 or 350, that’s a complete miss.

I’m 95-110 kg riding weight depending on season and cycle between 500 and 475 springs on pole machine on my ext arma (same length/stroke as slayer, 160mm rear travel).

Started with 600 on Voima - it was ok-ish and very supportive, currently on 500 but probably 525-550 is better for my current weight, I’m loosing it rapidly however and will shrink into 500 fine in couple of months. Goal is to be 90-95 bare, 100 riding on 500 spring on Voima, 475 on machine.

Last edited:

Blownoutrides

Mar 22, 2021
USA
I’m 245lbs / 111kg

EXT calc (26kg vehicle weight) shows 625lb @ 30% sag

TF Tuned (+9kg for ebike) shows 525lb @28% sag

That’s 100lbs delta.

Can anybody confirm their weight + spring + verified sag? With those numbers I can back out what my spring should be.

Thanks!

BigG

Feb 15, 2023
US, SoCal
I’m 245lbs / 111kg

EXT calc (26kg vehicle weight) shows 625lb @ 30% sag

TF Tuned (+9kg for ebike) shows 525lb @28% sag

That’s 100lbs delta.

Can anybody confirm their weight + spring + verified sag? With those numbers I can back out what my spring should be.

Thanks!
Ext calc shows me 500 for your weight for 30% sag, you sure input is correct?

I started on voima at exact same weight as you with 600 spring. It’s a bit too stiff but still very nice.
Now I’m 105kg at 500 spring, it’s a bit too soft but I’m going to slim down more soon.

For your weight I’d aim for 525 +-25 depending on stiffness/sag you prefer.

IMG_1160.png

Blownoutrides

Mar 22, 2021
USA
Ext calc shows me 500 for your weight for 30% sag, you sure input is correct?

I started on voima at exact same weight as you with 600 spring. It’s a bit too stiff but still very nice.
Now I’m 105kg at 500 spring, it’s a bit too soft but I’m going to slim down more soon.

For your weight I’d aim for 525 +-25 depending on stiffness/sag you prefer.

View attachment 114574
Oh geezus I had swapped travel and weight. Metric system got me all twisted up lol.

You’re spot on - thank you

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles