The Shire Shuffle & Allendale Chimneys

Beaker2135

Subscriber
May 13, 2021
Cumbria
I just wondered if anyone else is doing this on the 1st August
A 44 km ride across Hexhamshire moors, crossing Allendale to reach the chimneys before returning across different paths to the start.
A route designed by Ted Liddle...
Starting 5 mile south of Hexham at Whitley Chapel, this Day Ride Event is organised by Tyne Valley MTB to raise funds for new routes and facilities in the north-east with a donation to the Alpkit Foundation
It’s £11 to enter and should be a decent day out. Click the link for full details

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
I just wondered if anyone else is doing this on the 1st August
A 44 km ride across Hexhamshire moors, crossing Allendale to reach the chimneys before returning across different paths to the start.
A route designed by Ted Liddle...
Starting 5 mile south of Hexham at Whitley Chapel, this Day Ride Event is organised by Tyne Valley MTB to raise funds for new routes and facilities in the north-east with a donation to the Alpkit Foundation
It’s £11 to enter and should be a decent day out. Click the link for full details

Ive done a bit of riding with Ted in the past ..and he has certainly done more than his fair share over the years in terms of re-instating " lost " access and organising overseas trips ..
I probably know most of the tracks the route takes and there will be some terrific riding ..but its not for me ..I just dont like large group rides ...

Beaker2135

Subscriber
May 13, 2021
Cumbria
Yes I did and I had a great day, it’s years since I did anything like this and i was sent a GPX file and riders were expected to be self reliant. There were about 70-80 riders set off in small groups of around 10.
It was well organised and there were marshals at a couple of places where you were most likely to go wrong. It was a tough day with plenty of climbing, 800-1000m depending on which app you believe.
They had organised parking and tea, coffee and cakes where available in the village hall

There is a series of 16 rides planned over the next year or so and I’ll try to ride a few more

I had hopped to join you on the Bolts Law ride but we had family staying so it wasn’t possible. Maybe next time, it looks like you had a great day.

3F37BD96-B6A5-4044-B34F-750A4A0E5F08.jpeg

B185DE8B-FFD0-4ACD-BB51-E6D40C27F097.jpeg

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Great stuff..glad you had a good time ..sounds like a very well organised ride.
I recognise that track you are on ..and its good that you had the spell of decent weather..riding it yesterday would have been a different experience !
Hopefully catch you on a ride sometime in the future..

Beaker2135

Subscriber
May 13, 2021
Cumbria
I hope so ? I’m over in Penrith so not that far away

That track is up the side of the flues at Allendale Chimneys. You said you knew it well

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles