Article The new Performance CX Race, for ebike racing

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
The new Bosch Performance CX Race is a limited edition motor. Only a few consumer ebike models will get it. The motor is developed for the ebike racers. It’s been that way for long in other bike sports, or even for cars. A lot of the development happens in the racing teams. The the upgrades reach the consumer market a while later. Check out Rob’s video, or keep reading below for a few highlights.

Same power, but for longer

The new Performance CX Race has the same 85Nm torque as the Performance CX. But it amplifies the rider input more, up from 340 to 400%. And the weight is reduced from about 2.9 to 2.75 kg.

2023-Bosch-Performance-CX-Race-02.jpeg

The Performance CX Race is still a legal motor with 250W nominal power and the 25km/h cut-off speed. But Bosch have maximized the time we get full motor power. When racing, there is no time to wait for the motor to activate carefully and smoothly...

Continue reading...

Kimmoi

Jul 6, 2018
Finland
It’s in a different league in the way it works.
You mean Brose? ;)
Seriously; i have had Bosch(not race version) and it's a good motor. But i prefer Brose with Specialized much better motor. In the way that it works and because the brutal(but well controlled)power.

Last edited:

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
Does this mean we can hit the limiter in two cranks instead of three & so spend more time with our rattle?

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
You mean Brose? ;)
Seriously; i have had Bosch(not race version) and it's a good motor. But i prefer Brose with Specialized much better motor. In the way that it works and because the brutal(but well controlled)power.
I have both, and the Bosch is so much better on the climbs. Brose takes about 1/4 or a crank rotation to supply good power for super steep stuff . Bosch is instant.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Does this mean we can hit the limiter in two cranks instead of three & so spend more time with our rattle?
Can you hit the limit on the steepest inclines? Rock slabs that you’ve never even considered before because of the gradient? This is what the motor is made for. Not really for cruising flats and hitting the limiter 😂

Pdoz

Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
Remember a couple of years back when a " natural" feel was desirable? Now we're pretending these partial pedal strokes with over run make it a racing pedant electric bike ?

Just fit a " race" lever up on the bars iand call it something like, er, a throttle ?

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
Just fit a " race" lever up on the bars iand call it something like, er, a throttle ?
Old hat mate, buy yourself a Bafang M600 motor, already wired and ready if you want to fit one. Shame about their user interface which is about 3 years behind Bosch, but at least they don’t rattle and most parts available😀

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Can you hit the limit on the steepest inclines? Rock slabs that you’ve never even considered before because of the gradient? This is what the motor is made for. Not really for cruising flats and hitting the limiter 😂

To be honest, when it's silly steep and I have to use Gen 4 CX Turbo I'm near flipping the bike!

MOTO13

Sep 16, 2020
Elkhorn, Wi
So, this is my understanding Rob...correct me if I am wrong. The new Race CX is no more powerful than the regular CX4 at 85nm. It's basically just a software update or different interface to have the motor power engage differently? The motor has been beefed up internally to handle the harder hit??

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Any change to the internals ? alloy or plastic gearing ?, ceramic bearings, carbon casing or other magical stuff :)
There’s 150g weight savings, but no exact details have been given of where from. They did say they took it to the absolute weight limit - any lower and power would have to decrease, or early fatigue on parts might occur.

aarfeldt

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 25, 2019
Denmark, Danstrup
This is not new - they have done it many times on motorcycle bikes/engines.

In 1999 I got the Yamaha OW02 - it's produced in very limited numbers, lighter, more powerfull, made for racing, very bad maintenance scheme and extremely expensive.

Mabman

Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
More power less range, pick your poison. I ride a bike that has the ability to tune the run on and as stock it was very evident and not to my liking so I tuned it out except for the tinyest amount that sometimes aids in shifting after letting off on the pedals.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles