The hacks and bodges thread

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
Thought this could be a useful spot for those of us who don't mind getting our hands dirty.

My acoustic hard tail has a seized front caliper. Nothing special, just a Deore two pot but I'm attached to the old girl & like to repair rather than replace. So, lacking an air compressor but needing to get the pistons out, I reasoned I could use a bleeding syringe to push the pistons out with incompressible water.

Sure enough it worked but one piston was stuck good, so I used two cable ties to hold the free moving piston in place & concentrate all the pressure on the stuck one. Worked like a charm & let me split the caliper, clean & lube the pistons & reassemble. There's always a way!
rzKxXTBc.jpg
aFXkURYa.jpg
lBFH141L.jpg

Spangoolies

Nov 5, 2022
UK
Thought this could be a useful spot for those of us who don't mind getting our hands dirty.

My acoustic hard tail has a seized front caliper. Nothing special, just a Deore two pot but I'm attached to the old girl & like to repair rather than replace. So, lacking an air compressor but needing to get the pistons out, I reasoned I could use a bleeding syringe to push the pistons out with incompressible water.

Sure enough it worked but one piston was stuck good, so I used two cable ties to hold the free moving piston in place & concentrate all the pressure on the stuck one. Worked like a charm & let me split the caliper, clean & lube the pistons & reassemble. There's always a way!
View attachment 105228 View attachment 105229 View attachment 105230
One of the things I liked about Hope brakes is you can fit a shock pump on the threaded part of the hose fitting and pump the pistons out as you can’t really fit a syringe under reasonable pressure on the bleed nipple

Eliadn

Jul 25, 2022
Croatia
I would have rigged some attachment for a hand pump instead of using water. Or lubed the piston from outside somehow. But good results anyway!

Last edited:

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Pass the popcorn please! I like this idea. We don’t have every tool or technique, but there can be more than one method to bleed the brakes.

Last edited:

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
One of the things I liked about Hope brakes is you can fit a shock pump on the threaded part of the hose fitting and pump the pistons out as you can’t really fit a syringe under reasonable pressure on the bleed nipple
Pays to take great care with Hope pistons. They're made of phenolic resin material & very easy to chip.

Spangoolies

Nov 5, 2022
UK
Pays to take great care with Hope pistons. They're made of phenolic resin material & very easy to chip.
Yup, chipped one on my first set and treated them like glass after that. Think they are using steel on the new range.

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
Well, it's a Shimano caliper, so it doesn't take brake fluid. Are you new here? 🙃

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Well, it's a Shimano caliper, so it doesn't take brake fluid. Are you new here? 🙃
If I had said "Shimano mineral oil brake fluid" would you have been happier?

Same point:

Is Shimano mineral oil brake fluid incompressible? It works in brakes, so it must be highly incompressible, if not perfectly so.

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
Yes but the specific context in this thread is me pushing fluid through a demounted caliper stood at the sink whilst holding my thumb over the brake line inlet in order to stop it gushing everywhere, that one way or the other is going to escape under pressure anyway. Therefore, water. This is a perfect example of what could work vs what is a very silly idea

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles