That new bike smell is INTENSE...

MOTO13

Sep 16, 2020
Elkhorn, Wi
So, I have always liked what they do over at Intense. Always wanted a Tracer 279, but just never got one for whatever reason. Then when emtbs hit I loved the Tazer, but did the same thing...never got one. Well, I finally pulled the trigger and bought an MX Pro. I drove 250 miles round trip yesterday and picked her up. They are such a good build and when you see them in person, it just blasts you with awesome at every turn. I love the MX part with the dual crown fork, Magura brakes, Renthal bars w/ ODI grips and then that sick Ohlins suspension. They even include a really cool box of goodies...tools, torque wrench, tubeless sealant etc. Hopefully I get to ride it this weekend.
TAZER1 2021 (2).jpg

Last edited:

MOTO13

Sep 16, 2020
Elkhorn, Wi
I have only ridden it once on snow covered single track so far. That ride the bike felt excellent. All the trails are still thawing around here, so no riding during the next few days. As soon as I can hit it, I'll be giving a little write up on the bike.

madsen203

Mar 16, 2022
Bay Area, California
I have only ridden it once on snow covered single track so far. That ride the bike felt excellent. All the trails are still thawing around here, so no riding during the next few days. As soon as I can hit it, I'll be giving a little write up on the bike.
Thanks! I’d be interested in your comparison and thoughts. I’ll subscribe.

Rickster

Subscriber
Feb 19, 2022
Ok BC Canada
Wow talk about looking like a Moto ! Those triple’s and the bars are directly over the fork with zero offset. I have always wondered about that kind of set up. It sure works for Moto X be interested to hear how you find the difference compared to a reg mt bike offset. Have fun and enjoy your new ride. 🍻

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
That's a stunning looking bike, totally wasted on my trails but nice to see something different (y)

MOTO13

Sep 16, 2020
Elkhorn, Wi
Well, I finally got to ride the bike on a single track in the dirt. Previously I had one ride on hard packed snow trails. Can't tell much from that.

I rode at John Muir yesterday...all wooded single track. The bike was better than I expected. I set up the suspension somewhat before riding, but didn't really dial anything in during the ride at all. I set the rebound a bit faster fr/rr but didn't adj the upper or lower air chamber pressures at all. Never even checked them. I wanted to ride...lol. The shock compression knob was on 2. I fiddled with the other knobs on the fork/shock a bit, but left them in the middle of the ranges. The motor is really good. I was on Trail mode 99% of the time. Rode for about 2 hours (or a bit more) nonstop basically and used about 2 bars from a full battery charge. The second bar just went out on the last of 4 different loops. The bike handles phenomenal. At least as good or better than my Rail 9.7 (which is known as a great trail bike). The motor was very responsive with some overrun, which I like. The bike is a dual crown fork. Meaning the upper fork tubes will hit the frame or bump stop and only turn so tight...same as a motorcycle. I was wondering if on tight techy areas it would be a problem due to the limited turning radius. I honestly never even had it come to mind while riding and it was never an issue. The suspension is REALLLLLY good. You can bunny hop this bike pretty good...it is not a heavy bike by any means. About the same weight as my Rail, but with much, much better and bigger suspension. The rear coil shock makes kind of a whooshy sound when riding I noticed...pretty neat. For some reason, the motor on this bike (EP8) feels different than my Husky which has the same motor. The Intense has a different display and BT capability, but I have not connected or changed anything with the motor profile...all stock. The brakes are absolutely friggin next level. The Magura MT7's modulate great, slow you very in a very linear way. I encountered zero fade. But, it's not like I was bombing downhills either. The tire grip was exceptional. Never once did I feel sketchy and I was purposely hitting certain rutty, rocky turns with no brakes to see what would happen. No way could I do this on my other bikes. The OA feel of the bike is very moto like. The way the bar bend and rise is, the grips and the way the brakes hit your fingers. I did reverse the brakes to have the rear brake on the right side...it comes reversed from Intense. Overall, it was a great ride and I am very Impressed with the bike. Ok, one thing pissed me off. I mean, every bike you get, you want to do something to make it better or add bling. Bars, brakes, tires, grips...whatever. With this bike, there is quite literally zero you can do. So, that's kind of nice...I think. So, I'm not really PO'd...lol.

Last edited:

madsen203

Mar 16, 2022
Bay Area, California
Well, I finally got to ride the bike on a single track in the dirt. Previously I had one ride on hard packed snow trails. Can't tell much from that.

I rode at John Muir yesterday...all wooded single track. The bike was better than I expected. I set up the suspension somewhat before riding, but didn't really dial anything in during the ride at all. I set the rebound a bit faster fr/rr but didn't adj the upper or lower air chamber pressures at all. Never even checked them. I wanted to ride...lol. The shock compression knob was on 2. I fiddled with the other knobs on the fork/shock a bit, but left them in the middle of the ranges. The motor is really good. I was on Trail mode 99% of the time. Rode for about 2 hours (or a bit more) nonstop basically and used about 2 bars from a full battery charge. The second bar just went out on the last of 4 different loops. The bike handles phenomenal. At least as good or better than my Rail 9.7 (which is known as a great trail bike). The motor was very responsive with some overrun, which I like. The bike is a dual crown fork. Meaning the upper fork tubes will hit the frame or bump stop and only turn so tight...same as a motorcycle. I was wondering if on tight techy areas it would be a problem due to the limited turning radius. I honestly never even had it come to mind while riding and it was never an issue. The suspension is REALLLLLY good. You can bunny hop this bike pretty good...it is not a heavy bike by any means. About the same weight as my Rail, but with much, much better and bigger suspension. The rear coil shock makes kind of a whooshy sound when riding I noticed...pretty neat. For some reason, the motor on this bike (EP8) feels different than my Husky which has the same motor. The Intense has a different display and BT capability, but I have not connected or changed anything with the motor profile...all stock. The brakes are absolutely friggin next level. The Magura MT7's modulate great, slow you very in a very linear way. I encountered zero fade. But, it's not like I was bombing downhills either. The tire grip was exceptional. Never once did I feel sketchy and I was purposely hitting certain rutty, rocky turns with no brakes to see what would happen. No way could I do this on my other bikes. The OA feel of the bike is very moto like. The way the bar bend and rise is, the grips and the way the brakes hit your fingers. I did reverse the brakes to have the rear brake on the right side...it comes reversed from Intense. Overall, it was a great ride and I am very Impressed with the bike.
I couldn’t agree more with this. I have the same bike and it is so well balanced, well equipped, and rides so easy. Very nimble and stable. I couldn’t ask for a better bike and it was an incredible value with current sales going on for 2021 model years.

I think many people chase the big names (specialized, trek, Santa Cruz) and if you’re ok with the 50 pound weight then it is an excellent option. For those who want a lighter bike, the Orbea is definitely a better option.

overall, every time I finish a ride on this bike I am elated by its performance!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
John Muir
John Muir was born in my hometown. Dunbar (Scotland) His family home was a tiny flat in our high street which is now a museum to his life and achievements. Our John Muir country park spans the 10 mile coast line from
Dunbar to North Berwick (the next coastal town on the way to Edinburgh). terrain is mainly long sandy beaches and flat sandy woodland.

madsen203

Mar 16, 2022
Bay Area, California
John Muir was born in my hometown. Dunbar (Scotland) His family home was a tiny flat in our high street which is now a museum to his life and achievements. Our John Muir country park spans the 10 mile coast line from
Dunbar to North Berwick (the next coastal town on the way to Edinburgh). terrain is mainly long sandy beaches and flat sandy woodland.
I live next to his house in Martinez, CA 😂

Nashwillis

May 16, 2021
TN

I rode at John Muir yesterday...all wooded single track. The bike was better than I expected. I set up the suspension somewhat before riding, but didn't really dial anything in during the ride at all. I set the rebound a bit faster fr/rr but didn't adj the upper or lower air chamber pressures at all. Never even checked them. I wanted to ride...lol. The shock compression knob was on 2. I fiddled with the other knobs on the fork/shock a bit, but left them in the middle of the ranges. The motor is really good. I was on Trail mode 99% of the time. Rode for about 2 hours (or a bit more) nonstop basically and used about 2 bars from a full battery charge. The second bar just went out on the last of 4 different loops. The bike handles phenomenal. At least as good or better than my Rail 9.7 (which is known as a great trail bike). The motor was very responsive with some overrun, which I like. The bike is a dual crown fork. Meaning the upper fork tubes will hit the frame or bump stop and only turn so tight...same as a motorcycle. I was wondering if on tight techy areas it would be a problem due to the limited turning radius. I honestly never even had it come to mind while riding and it was never an issue. The suspension is REALLLLLY good. You can bunny hop this bike pretty good...it is not a heavy bike by any means. About the same weight as my Rail, but with much, much better and bigger suspension. The rear coil shock makes kind of a whooshy sound when riding I noticed...pretty neat. For some reason, the motor on this bike (EP8) feels different than my Husky which has the same motor. The Intense has a different display and BT capability, but I have not connected or changed anything with the motor profile...all stock. The brakes are absolutely friggin next level. The Magura MT7's modulate great, slow you very in a very linear way. I encountered zero fade. But, it's not like I was bombing downhills either. The tire grip was exceptional. Never once did I feel sketchy and I was purposely hitting certain rutty, rocky turns with no brakes to see what would happen. No way could I do this on my other bikes. The OA feel of the bike is very moto like. The way the bar bend and rise is, the grips and the way the brakes hit your fingers. I did reverse the brakes to have the rear brake on the right side...it comes reversed from Intense. Overall, it was a great ride and I am very Impressed with the bike. Ok, one thing pissed me off. I mean, every bike you get, you want to do something to make it better or add bling. Bars, brakes, tires, grips...whatever. With this bike, there is quite literally zero you can do. So, that's kind of nice...I think. So, I'm not really PO'd...lol.

great review, are you still loving it?
I am lookin at the pro or elite or a Rocky Mountain instinct BC. No place around me demos them and I have to drive 600 miles round trip to get one.

madsen203

Mar 16, 2022
Bay Area, California
great review, are you still loving it?
I am lookin at the pro or elite or a Rocky Mountain instinct BC. No place around me demos them and I have to drive 600 miles round trip to get one.
I still say it is one of the best values on the market. I have the pro and LOVE IT. I only have 200 miles on the bike but I enjoy riding it every day.

the only thing I wish it had was a 625 battery but I consistently get 4000’ of climbing and 12-15 miles of range on 80-90% of the battery. Customer service is outstanding. Ohlins are fantastic. Everything about the bike is great.
Next upgrades for me will be wireless dropper and wireless derailleur.

MOTO13

Sep 16, 2020
Elkhorn, Wi
I have 4 emtbs and the Tazer is the one I look forward to riding the most. The OA bike spec, layout and suspension are simply damn near perfect. I have since lowered the dropper. I had it extended like that so when I took a leak while riding I wasn't dragging on the ground...lol.

Honestly though, this bike is sick. The one and only mod I have done is putting on a set of Renthal carbon bars. Some have mentioned the battery size as a concern. I have ridden 30 miles on trail mode with no problem. I ride wooded single track so I am never far from my truck if I did run out of juice...never have come close though. The 504 battery does not bother at all. Another thing, the bike is not heavy to me. Weighs a tick more than my Trek rail 9.7 and less than my Husky and Niner. I REALLY like the Shimao thumb controller and screen on this bike. IMHO it is the best of any brand out there. All in all I have zero to complain about with the Tazer.

Now, I also have to say I personally would not want the Tazer expert. I am sure it is a fine bike, but It has a different motor and OA bike spec. The MX Pro is the only way to go if you like Intense bikes.

madsen203

Mar 16, 2022
Bay Area, California
I have 4 emtbs and the Tazer is the one I look forward to riding the most. The OA bike spec, layout and suspension are simply damn near perfect. I have since lowered the dropper. I had it extended like that so when I took a leak while riding I wasn't dragging on the ground...lol.

Honestly though, this bike is sick. The one and only mod I have done is putting on a set of Renthal carbon bars. Some have mentioned the battery size as a concern. I have ridden 30 miles on trail mode with no problem. I ride wooded single track so I am never far from my truck if I did run out of juice...never have come close though. The 504 battery does not bother at all. Another thing, the bike is not heavy to me. Weighs a tick more than my Trek rail 9.7 and less than my Husky and Niner. I REALLY like the Shimao thumb controller and screen on this bike. IMHO it is the best of any brand out there. All in all I have zero to complain about with the Tazer.

Now, I also have to say I personally would not want the Tazer expert. I am sure it is a fine bike, but It has a different motor and OA bike spec. The MX Pro is the only way to go if you like Intense bikes.
I second the feelings about the expert.

my mods so far are justadding clipless pedals and a heavier rear spring. Otherwise, out of the box, perfect. Suspension setting recommendations are perfect as well. I mean, it’s just an incredible bike for the price.

my batteries might be old but I also ascend a lot. My general ride is a minimum 2,500’ of climbing and 8 miles and I have half the battery remaining. I drained a battery in 3,700’ of climbing in 14 miles which overall is not terrible. The spare battery is about 5 pounds which isn’t awful to carry in a backpack.

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
So, I have always liked what they do over at Intense. Always wanted a Tracer 279, but just never got one for whatever reason. Then when emtbs hit I loved the Tazer, but did the same thing...never got one. Well, I finally pulled the trigger and bought an MX Pro. I drove 250 miles round trip yesterday and picked her up. They are such a good build and when you see them in person, it just blasts you with awesome at every turn. I love the MX part with the dual crown fork, Magura brakes, Renthal bars w/ ODI grips and then that sick Ohlins suspension. They even include a really cool box of goodies...tools, torque wrench, tubeless sealant etc. Hopefully I get to ride it this weekend. View attachment 81830

Braaaaaaap! I mean Zaaaaaaaap!

ilostmypassword

Apr 5, 2022
New Zealand
So, I have always liked what they do over at Intense. Always wanted a Tracer 279, but just never got one for whatever reason. Then when emtbs hit I loved the Tazer, but did the same thing...never got one. Well, I finally pulled the trigger and bought an MX Pro. I drove 250 miles round trip yesterday and picked her up. They are such a good build and when you see them in person, it just blasts you with awesome at every turn. I love the MX part with the dual crown fork, Magura brakes, Renthal bars w/ ODI grips and then that sick Ohlins suspension. They even include a really cool box of goodies...tools, torque wrench, tubeless sealant etc. Hopefully I get to ride it this weekend. View attachment 81830
That looks stunning. What a nice looking ride. Dang

MOTO13

Sep 16, 2020
Elkhorn, Wi
I have since switched the bars to Renthal Fatbar carbon bars, PNW Loam grips as well as PNW pedals.
Honestly, it's my favorite bike to ride.

MOTO13

Sep 16, 2020
Elkhorn, Wi
Well...since my longest rides are probably 2 hours, it's not huge for me personally. I definitely notice they are more compliant and I feel like I don't have to grip the bars as hard...if that makes sense. Where I ride there are a lot of rocks and tree roots. My hands definitely feel better after riding. I don't get arm pump or any of that. Overall, I do like the feel of carbon better than aluminum. It's less jittery feeling.

madsen203

Mar 16, 2022
Bay Area, California
Well...since my longest rides are probably 2 hours, it's not huge for me personally. I definitely notice they are more compliant and I feel like I don't have to grip the bars as hard...if that makes sense. Where I ride there are a lot of rocks and tree roots. My hands definitely feel better after riding. I don't get arm pump or any of that. Overall, I do like the feel of carbon better than aluminum. It's less jittery feeling.
Thanks for sharing. That seems to be the consensus. I’ll be looking for a set at the end of the year. (Christmas? 😂)

MOTO13

Sep 16, 2020
Elkhorn, Wi
I just bought another set of Renthal Fatbar Lite (carbon) for $134 on Amazon (35mm dia and 40mm rise). I watch pricing all the time.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles