TF tuned rear shock...

nappa

Patreon
Oct 22, 2018
Farningham, kent
Really struggling to set up the rear shock on the 2018 levo comp as im 107 KG.

I called them to buy some volume reducers, but the told me the RockShox Monarch RT does not have volume spacers for the rear shock ie nothing will fit as they are not designed to take them.

He then told me I need a coil shock...

anyone struggle with the same problem?

Krisj

Patreon
May 1, 2018
Sheffield
I’m nearly 100kg and I’ve got my monarch set up pretty sweet took some trial and different air volumes and numerous rides but it paid off.
We had a group ride out last week and one of the members commented saying how good I’d got the suspension dialed in.

nappa

Patreon
Oct 22, 2018
Farningham, kent
I’m nearly 100kg and I’ve got my monarch set up pretty sweet took some trial and different air volumes and numerous rides but it paid off.
We had a group ride out last week and one of the members commented saying how good I’d got the suspension dialed in.

Tf tuned told me you can't fit spacers in the rear shock as its there special version with autosag

Harmialized

Oct 15, 2018
Netherlands
I had the same issue, most on rebound either too fast or too slow. I ended up with a revalved Fox shock, Fox Germany did a custom tune and added more rebound.
After this tune I struggled with the correct air pressure and ended up with no volume spacers inside the air can.
If you are a 107kg, you need over 300 psi to get a good set up with right SAG. When you also add volume spacers, the air in side is blocking the stroke of the shock. I got the best results without these volume spacers.
Now I can ride fast over bumps without getting kicked out of the saddle, worth every penny a good set of tuned suspension...

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Yes I agree coil shock is the way forward . Probably cheaper and certainly easier than getting a fairly low end air shock re tuned . The rock shock that came on my commencal is great , i looked up the spring for my wieght 100 kg , bought the correct spring £25 and it’s just right ,
I had previous bikes I have spent many frustrating rides trying to get air shocks to work for me , and never managed it .
I always ended up raising air pressure to find the support I needed to pedal up hill just to find I had a hard ride and a shock that would blow through and bottom out if I landed hard , plus they never perform well for long before needing a service .
I’ve yet to bottom out the coil on my commencal and I find I can ride that bike harder than anything I’ve had before .

khorn

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
Really struggling to set up the rear shock on the 2018 levo comp as im 107 KG.

I called them to buy some volume reducers, but the told me the RockShox Monarch RT does not have volume spacers for the rear shock ie nothing will fit as they are not designed to take them.

He then told me I need a coil shock...

anyone struggle with the same problem?

Here is a good read from a guy in the exact same situation as you:

Rockshox Monarch RT setup questions - EMTB Forums

And the service I got from TFTuned was second to none.

Karsten

nappa

Patreon
Oct 22, 2018
Farningham, kent
Yes I agree coil shock is the way forward . Probably cheaper and certainly easier than getting a fairly low end air shock re tuned . The rock shock that came on my commencal is great , i looked up the spring for my wieght 100 kg , bought the correct spring £25 and it’s just right ,
I had previous bikes I have spent many frustrating rides trying to get air shocks to work for me , and never managed it .
I always ended up raising air pressure to find the support I needed to pedal up hill just to find I had a hard ride and a shock that would blow through and bottom out if I landed hard , plus they never perform well for long before needing a service .
I’ve yet to bottom out the coil on my commencal and I find I can ride that bike harder than anything I’ve had before .

I went for a ride the other day and just kept getting pedal strikes aa it was so low.

nappa

Patreon
Oct 22, 2018
Farningham, kent
this is what TF tuned sugested to me:

OK the best thing to do with that bike is to change the shock mounting at the rear with the Bike Yoke mount @ £95

Specialized Stumpjumper 2016-2017 and Turbo Levo 2016-2017

This will allow you to fit any 190 x 50mm rear shock and the options there are many

Starting with the cane Creek Inline at £330 + spring @£95 DBcoil IL - Shocks - TF Tuned

Cane creek DB CS £525 + spring @£95 Cane Creek Double Barrel Coil CS - Shocks - TF Tuned

Fox DHX2 £649 + spring @£95 Fox DHX2 2019

Ohilns TTX £639 + spring @£95 Ohlins - Shocks - TF Tuned

Krisj

Patreon
May 1, 2018
Sheffield
I don’t use auto sag I found it a total waste of time. I do ride pretty agressive most of the time jumps and drop off’s and find it’s coped with everything I chucked at it.
Get the air your pressure right first
Keep rebound set low and increase small increments until you feel it’s performing right for you. Your set up and my set up will be totally different.
Ive got admitt from what I’ve heard the monarchs don’t perform consistently through out the board I may have just been lucky with mine.
Hope this helps and saves you some money for the time being anyway.

Joeri

May 13, 2018
Almere-stad, the netherlands
my weight is about 100 kilo geared up. First i bought a monarch plus debon air with a bike yoke. that didn't work for me. now i have a cane creek DB inline with a 700x2 shock. i love it.
in the monarch plus I have to put about 320 psi. I lost all the feeling with the underground when i was ridding.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles