Test rode a Rail 7 today - totally sold on 29ers now

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
Been umming & ahhing over lockdown about which bike to get. Been looking at the Giant Reign however heard good things about the Rail & not so good thing about the Reign. The thing that concernd me was the 29 wheels being nimble enough for the tight tracks around here.
Well I took a Rail 7 for a spin today & loved it. Totally surprised how much more nimble the front wheel was around corners than my current analogue 27.5. I rode straight over drop offs I would usually hesitate before. The front Yari was so plush the front end just soaked up all the rocks & roots. I usually have to stop halfway down & shake the arm pump out with my Fox forks however no such worries today.
The only couple of things to get used to was the arse end seemed to want to overtake the front around corners when I first started. I guess it's more momentum with the extra weight. I used a lot more back brake than usual & it settled down. I also got a bit of arse bite from the big rear tyre on some descents so I can see why mullet bikes are popular. At the bottom of the downhill I looked & found that the rear shock was actually locked out - it had come from the shop like that & I hadn't even checked. The tyres were not very confidence inspiring though - I'd have to change them to Maxxis.
The extra weight could be felt over a few small jumps.
My fit riding mates who usually are a couple of kms ahead of me on the uphill had a go & were amazed how well it climbed & why I could practise wheelies while they were suffering on the pinch climbs. I'm usually shattered after riding with them however today was the reverse where I went for another ride while they went home to a hot bath. :)
So anyway I'll be getting one soon. Ideally I love the blue black colour than the red grey but I think you can get coloured tape.

Apr 26, 2020
Out west
Don't know that bike but you'll find that the added weight and it's inertia makes riding down a whole different experience. These bikes steamroll over everything and hold a line while light bikes get bucked all over the place. The e bikes feel more settled and planted.

WilkyWay

Dec 26, 2019
Durham UK
It took me a couple of rides to get used to my Rail 7 coming from a 130mm travel trail bike. I noticed exactly what you described. You can plough through anything and maintain more speed. The 29” wheels have never been an issue at my local trails either. I don’t think I’d go back to 27.5.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles