taserface E22 build log

taserface

Nov 16, 2022
PNW, USA
Thanks-

BTW, do you recall what spoke length you used for 36h kindernay cage? Was it ~276mm? (I'm calculating for a 590 ERD, but want to sanity check that I'm not way off.)

TeoElFeo

Apr 13, 2022
Tallinn
Lookin at the magura mt5e higo-closer brakes: $220 shipped, $257 w/ 2 storm hc 203mm rotors.

Anything else I should consider deal hunting for? Brakes are important to me and I'd be willing to spend a bit more (especially for something more progressive), but not sure I'll be able to do much better w/r/t value (and compat w/ the ultra cutoff sensor is a nice little bonus).

EDIT: slight knee jerk purchase... low stock, got 'em

I find Maguras are quite strong, definitely better stopping power than Shimanos and with good modulation. My main grime with them is the reliability of the plasticky levers. My left lever just stopped working after the bike fell once. The lever remained visually intact, but had all of a sudden tons of air. Neither me nor my trusted LBS were able to bleed it successfully. The solution was simple - Shigura 😄

bram.biesiekierski

Apr 18, 2022
Perth WA Australia
I actually just picked up another old stock / clearance Hope tech 3 V4 set. 45% off for clearance, and 15% for black Friday.

The V4s are definitely the way to go, they give you like 3 or 4 sets of brake pads for a set. That alone makes it worth the price I paid. Plus I've never broken any hope stuff in crashes.

taserface

Nov 16, 2022
PNW, USA
I used 278mm. Mine was a 3x setup on to a 29" DT swiss rim.
Cool, looks like that lines up, thanks.

I actually just picked up another old stock / clearance Hope tech 3 V4 set. 45% off for clearance, and 15% for black Friday.

The V4s are definitely the way to go, they give you like 3 or 4 sets of brake pads for a set. That alone makes it worth the price I paid. Plus I've never broken any hope stuff in crashes.
Was that B&M? I haven't seen any notable sales online (nothing that would have gotten me brakes+rotors for less than ~double the Magura brake+rotors). Anyway, kinda too late for this round, but I'll have to reconsider the Hope stuff if I have any issues w/ the Maguras, etc.

randycpu

Nov 15, 2018
Silicon Valley, USA
I like the idea of your build, and I am considering going down a similar route next spring.

However I must let you know that I don't believe 14s5p will fit into that frame. From my experience with my dengfu E10 size large 14s4p is the absolute maximum. The battery was a very tight fit.
Also, the BMS size was an issue, particularly the height. We had to choose 30a smart BMS because it was the only one being 10mm tall. Otherwise I don't believe that lid would close. I am attaching a photo below so that you could have an idea.

View attachment 101777
Are those 21700s?

taserface

Nov 16, 2022
PNW, USA
The kindernay tensioner is a total piece of sh1t.
Quick Kindernay question for you... did you do symmetrical or asymmetrical on your rear rim? I was thinking of grabbing both asym wheels, but since it looks like the flanges and offset are the same, it seems a symmetrical wheel is preferred in this case.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles