Switching Bosch hub (SPH) to Nyon

LenM

Sep 9, 2021
White Rock BC
I could not find any information regarding changing from my SPH to a Nyon but am happy to say it was very easy. The guy at Trek said the wiring was the same at the head unit, so all it did was change the two contact wires from the hub display to the Nyon. I had purchased the upgrade kit, which came with a remote, but I didn't need to change that as it was the same that was on my Powerfly 9 E.
I was not a big fan of the Hub, it was very difficult to get my Iphone (6.7 screen) with a Apple leather case in the holder, in fact it didn't fit in at all. Even taking off the case it didn't fit within the holder. I also didn't care for having to mount and take it off all the time. Sure, there is a basic screen if you don't have your phone, but it is terrible. The Nyon looks very classy on the handlebars, easy to read display, I am (so far) pleased I switched.

Expidia

Subscriber
Jun 27, 2022
Capital Region, New York
@LenM Hi, older post from March but I just happened to see it at the end of another post. I have the smart Hub on my new PF purchased 7/22 and I've never been a fan of it. The worst about it is the cheap plastic spring frame that holds the phone. I first cracked when the bike slid into a tree while walking down a slippery muddy hill and another spill when a car cut infront of me at an intersection which finished it off. They way it's mountedsticking out . . . it's the first think that gets hit in a mishap. Both times my $1200 Iphone was hanging there by the charging cable. Then I ordered another one off an online bike store for $38 and on my 2nd time riding with it the bottom cradle just fell off and once again the phone was left hanging. No mistreatment, not a mark on it. I think it was a return and probably had a hair line crack in it already or it was cracked in shipping in just a flat poly bag. Also it sucks to have to disconnect it when I want to just take a pic with the phone and then go though the mounting process all over again and click on several screens again. Do I really need to OK (got it) everytime I touch the Cobi app. The Cobi app sucks anyway for navigation. I'm sure they don't want to pay licensing map fees, so it finds nothing in a search I find it totally useless. I have to keep switching back and forth with Google maps. Lastly I don't like my phone sucking up all the vibrations. The frame should be aluminium, being plastic it's just crap. I returned the broken one back to the online store and ordered another one from my local Trek shop. It came in today. I don't see any other way to go other than upgrade to the Nyon. This Smart hub is a bad idea all around. I'm not a jumper anyway, but I read on some Smart Hub review Bosch doesn't recommend any jumps over 6 inches (Dats a gooood one). Did you install it yourself?

Last edited:

LenM

Sep 9, 2021
White Rock BC
I think the system sucks, just love my Nyon. The base wires are the same, it’s super easy to change and you will be so happy.

Expidia

Subscriber
Jun 27, 2022
Capital Region, New York
Len, I decided to upgrade to the Nyon as you did. I'm seeing it looks like there is nothing on the Smart Hub that I can use with the Nyon. I'm looking on Amazon for .1 Nyon Head unit around $316. .2 a base that installs on the handle bars around $40. Did your base come with spacers and clamps? My bar is 31.8 mm. You said the wire running to the motor can be reused and the remote control and wire can also be reused . . . so all I have to do is connect the two wires to the back of the base and I'm good to go . . . correct?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles