Suspension setup.

Tim29

Jul 10, 2018
Left the building
Hi @Tim29 OK I think I've got your drift, kind of a fault and cure type thing.
KTM and WP were very good at that and I always found Ohlins were also very helpful with this type if information.

It's a great Idea, so write it up for us and share your knowledge, I think a lot of people would be interested and it would be good for members to have to reference from time to time.

But Tim, @Doomanic makes a fair point about your use of grammar and it might pay you to use a program like grammarly as quite honestly
"bike won’t sertle in chip" makes no sense to me whatsoever.

Please understand that I genuinely have no wish to cause offense and I sincerely hope you take this in good spirit.
Looking forward to hearing specific detail.
Japu, you are correct.
I been writing this on my phone most the time without my glasses on so i can’t see half my spelling errors.
But i also spend no time to even try to correct them.
The list of information i been trying to gather isn’t to post it on the web.
It’s actually going to be in an owners Manuel or a reference card in with the supplied articles for a bike manufacturer.
I was just trying to get some ideas from readers and riders on what they would consider useful and what would be over kill.

Japuserid

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall, UK
Japu, you are correct.
I been writing this on my phone most the time without my glasses on so i can’t see half my spelling errors.
But i also spend no time to even try to correct them.
The list of information i been trying to gather isn’t to post it on the web.
It’s actually going to be in an owners Manuel or a reference card in with the supplied articles for a bike manufacturer.
I was just trying to get some ideas from readers and riders on what they would consider useful and what would be over kill.
Why on earth didn't you just say this at the beginning, if you had made it clear from the outset what you were doing it would have been a lot easier for all of us. :)

Tim29

Jul 10, 2018
Left the building
Because i was just trying to get response on what people are willing and feel comfortable doing. How many people actually do it.
It may have seemed unorthodox to some or most, but i got a lot of conflicting opinions and not as much usable information as i had hoped.
It’s very common when dealing with suspension to have joe say it’s white and John say it’s black, then Ron Ron say i don’t know i just ride!
Then you have those who just go clicking knobs and hoping to make it better but not the skills on how to bracket and actually make a solid improvement.

MartinW148

May 30, 2018
Essex, England
For what it's worth this is the route I used to set up my suspension, worked pretty well and seems not to have needed much changing. I will say I feel a little sketchy on the compression setting, but you can certainly feel when it's too soft, so I might be a click or two, too hard.

I used this link
https://www.mbr.co.uk/how-to-2/how-to-set-up-mountain-bike-suspension-349864

I found a little more air in the front forks helped (some sites suggest 10psi extra for e-bikes, personally as a light rider I found that too much).

My rear shock has the three position adjustment, I never use the hardest setting, the front I will usually dial out a bit of compression from the top of the fork if the going is reasonably flat.

I can see at the end of a ride I'm maybe 10% off total suspension travel used and that safety margin for big hits ( read mistakes) suits me just fine.
I am not an expert and I certainly don't ride like one......

M

Tim29

Jul 10, 2018
Left the building
For what it's worth this is the route I used to set up my suspension, worked pretty well and seems not to have needed much changing. I will say I feel a little sketchy on the compression setting, but you can certainly feel when it's too soft, so I might be a click or two, too hard.

I used this link
https://www.mbr.co.uk/how-to-2/how-to-set-up-mountain-bike-suspension-349864

I found a little more air in the front forks helped (some sites suggest 10psi extra for e-bikes, personally as a light rider I found that too much).

My rear shock has the three position adjustment, I never use the hardest setting, the front I will usually dial out a bit of compression from the top of the fork if the going is reasonably flat.

I can see at the end of a ride I'm maybe 10% off total suspension travel used and that safety margin for big hits ( read mistakes) suits me just fine.
I am not an expert and I certainly don't ride like one......

M
Your only using 10% of your travel or you have 10% left unused for your oops line?

Tim29

Jul 10, 2018
Left the building
I read that as 10% left for "Shit, shit, shit, shit... ...phew!" moments.
I read it as only using 10% and saving have the remainder for this Oh sh!! Moments. I actually had a little chuckle and thought wow this guy gets himself is some gnarly ohh crap moments.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Have you really been given the job of writing a technical document for a bike manufacturer? Do your employers speak English?

MartinW148

May 30, 2018
Essex, England
I read it as only using 10% and saving have the remainder for this Oh sh!! Moments. I actually had a little chuckle and thought wow this guy gets himself is some gnarly ohh crap moments.
OK so maybe I wasn't clear, my set up uses 80 to 90% of the total travel with a bit left over for the ohh crap moments.

Tim29

Jul 10, 2018
Left the building
Have you really been given the job of writing a technical document for a bike manufacturer? Do your employers speak English?
Yes i have, just because i don’t spent the time to proof reed and correct forum spelling and or grammar errors doesn’t mean my mechanical skills and knowledge are lacking. Those who judge a book by the worn cover or a woman by her shoes don’t ever really get to see the true story.
I find that some people who think that just because some days you waisted my time vs wasted my time think your literacy is stupidity.
But i really don’t place much importance on something as superficial as incorrect grammar and spelling on a forum.
Rather i spend my time looking into the valitidy of what they are saying.
Besides. They didn’t hire me to proof read and correct there user Manuel.
They asked me to do it because of my tuning exp they have witnessed first hand in there testing and development of there product.
Besides, i have found that large number of those who are perfect at grammar and spelling and or over critical of those who place limited importance on it have limited real world skills and knowledge and you find them policing the internet and continually trying to degrade those who make spelling errors and place false judgment on there true skills!

Last edited:

MartinW148

May 30, 2018
Essex, England
Yes i have, just because i don’t spent the time to proof reed and correct forum spelling and or grammar errors doesn’t mean my mechanical skills and knowledge are lacking. Those who judge a book by the worn cover or a woman by her shoes don’t ever really get to see the true story.
I find that some people who think that just because some days you waisted my time vs wasted my time think your literacy is stupidity.
But i really don’t place much importance on something as superficial as incorrect grammar and spelling on a forum.
Rather i spend my time looking into the valitidy of what they are saying.
Besides. They didn’t hire me to proof read and correct there user Manuel.
They asked me to do it because of my tuning exp they have witnessed first hand in there testing and development of there product.
I'm still unsure who Manuel is?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
,"just because i don’t spent the time to proof reed and correct forum spelling and or grammar errors doesn’t mean my mechanical skills and knowledge are lacking". ...
"i really don’t place much importance on something as superficial as incorrect grammar and spelling on a forum"

I honestly wouldn't consider literacy skills to be superficial. When your literacy skills are not competent enough for others to understand what you've written or you struggle to comprehend a well written gramatically correct sentence it isn't superficial. It becomes a fairly significant communication problem and no matter how technically experienced and knowledgeable you happen to be with mechanics you're going to struggle to be taken seriously.
I haven't mentioned your poor grammar or spelling before now. My previous comment was regarding your reading comprehension and misunderstanding of suspension travel percentages used by Martin and clearly explained here:
"I can see at the end of a ride I'm maybe 10% off total suspension travel used and that safety margin for big hits ( read mistakes) suits me just fine."
I actually tend not to make fun or correct poor literacy too much online as I do understand with the internet being global English may not even be an authors first language and that some people do struggle with literacy but seriously, this thread has been a complete car crash from start to end regardless of grammar/spelling..

Tim29

Jul 10, 2018
Left the building
I honestly wouldn't consider literacy skills to be superficial. When your literacy skills are not competent enough for others to understand what you've written or you struggle to comprehend a well written gramatically correct sentence it isn't superficial. It becomes a fairly significant communication problem and no matter how technically experienced and knowledgeable you happen to be with mechanics you're going to struggle to be taken seriously.
I haven't mentioned your poor grammar or spelling before now. My previous comment was regarding your reading comprehension and misunderstanding of suspension travel percentages used by Martin and clearly explained here:
"I can see at the end of a ride I'm maybe 10% off total suspension travel used and that safety margin for big hits ( read mistakes) suits me just fine."
I actually tend not to make fun or correct poor literacy too much online as I do understand with the internet being global English may not even be an authors first language and that some people do struggle with literacy but seriously, this thread has been a complete car crash from start to end regardless of grammar/spelling..
Gary,you might read that again, he said clearly he used 10% travel.
He may have went back and corrected it.
His wording made it sound like he had 10% left for an oops. But the words he chose stated used 10%.
You sure didn’t have a problem reading the last comments i wrote. My fingers don’t seem to find the keys to well on my phone and it gets really tiring to correct. Not to mention my grammar is terrible.
I spend 90% of my literal time writing notes, spec notes, design notes, logging data from on board data loggers and before i got on forums and started actually reading again i had almost developed my own language. Not to mention i prob averaged a D+ in English.
But i did get A’s in aligebra, calculus, physics and a degree in mechanical engineering.
It really doesn’t bother me if someone thinks because my grammar is bad, im Stupid.

Last edited:

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
he said clearly he used 10% travel.
No, he didn't.
I'm maybe 10% off total suspension travel used
Off, not of.
He may have went back and corrected it.
No, he didn't, it would have an "edited" tag on the post if he had.

The problem as I see it is this; you came asking questions about suspension setup without explaining why. When you did try to explain your lack of care with your spelling and grammar meant we still didn't understand what you wanted or what you were trying to achieve.

But the worst part in all this, the very worst part, is that I find myself agreeing with @Gary... :eek:

I need a shower...

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I don't think you're stupid Tim.
FWIW I have very little interest in what Formal qualifications others have unless it's relevant to why I'm talking to them. I have many friends and an ex-partner educated to PHd level. Formal School and University qualifications aren't necessarily a great measure of all round intelligence I find.
There are many more facets to intelligence than formal education.
9-types-of-intelligence-infographic.png
Despite rarely attending school myself (long story) I have always had a decent grasp of English and grammar. The key thing here for me was that I just so happened to find language interesting so learning grammar rules etc. came fairly easily. Infact in English classes at School I couldn't understand how something as simple as communication in your native language could be so difficult for others. Since then in my adult life I have worked with many people, young and old with fairly severe litteracy problems and gained a fairly decent understanding of the problems they face and how they have struggled. I'm not judging you on your litteracy or grammar. Just letting you know that your carelessness in correcting your posts makes it difficult for others to read and detracts from what you are trying to put across.

arson.jpg

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles