Surrey Hills tomorrow

steve-a

Jan 19, 2021
Hornchurch, Essex
Anyone currently riding Surrey hills at all, I am looking to drive down tomorrow for a few hours (Essex based), wondering if it is relatively dry or should I expect a quagmire?
Also where would you recommend I start from, not been for 25 years, seem to recall parking at Box Hill and having a killer climb from the off last time I was there, but as I say that was a very long time ago.

StevoKickstart

Nov 12, 2018
West Sussex, England
Hi,
It's nice and dry at the moment. I recommend that you park in a village called Peaslake which has a car park called "Walking bottom"
You get access to Pitch, Holmbury & Leith Hills from there
Cheers

steve-a

Jan 19, 2021
Hornchurch, Essex
Went to Peaslake carpark 2 as suggested, not sure if it was the satnav or just that the roads leading to it were all single track winding roads, but got there for around 9am and the carpark was relatively empty.
Managed around 15 miles in total around Hurt Wood according to Strava, I was a tad nervous on some of the trails, think Captain Clunk was a bit of a shock at the end, very technical (to me) rooty drop, managed it once and even managed another couple of black labeled runs, fluffy bunnies and root of all evil, totally not what I am used to in my local relatively boring rides.
Hopefully i will be able to get back in a few weeks time, but will ensure that I have a phone mount so I know where i am going as I was totally disorientated in the end.
Only managed to fall off once, had a pedal strike on a root that sent me over the handlebars, luckily no damage.
I left around midday and the place was rammed.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Went to Peaslake carpark 2 as suggested, not sure if it was the satnav or just that the roads leading to it were all single track winding roads, but got there for around 9am and the carpark was relatively empty.
Managed around 15 miles in total around Hurt Wood according to Strava, I was a tad nervous on some of the trails, think Captain Clunk was a bit of a shock at the end, very technical (to me) rooty drop, managed it once and even managed another couple of black labeled runs, fluffy bunnies and root of all evil, totally not what I am used to in my local relatively boring rides.
Hopefully i will be able to get back in a few weeks time, but will ensure that I have a phone mount so I know where i am going as I was totally disorientated in the end.
Only managed to fall off once, had a pedal strike on a root that sent me over the handlebars, luckily no damage.
I left around midday and the place was rammed.
Nice! Captain Clunk is one of my favourite trails and we get that end section in most of the videos. It’s a great test of the frame and suspension as it’s pretty steep with a load of rough bits that really tests the bike setup.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles