Summer gear suggestions?

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
For those of us in the southern hemisphere chuckling over Robs winter riding gear list..... has anyone found a solution for riding without frying? Preferably without looking like the love child of an S+M session between Gladys and Skummo ( aka not a dharco clown suit)

Up to the mid 30's I wear long sleeve sailing polos , usually zhik ( expensive but good) - they breath better than most riding jerseys, wick moisture at least as well , and most importantly the cuffs aren't tight so air flows up the sleeve. I have no illusions of abrasion protection from anything polyester .

Perhaps it's time for me to consider some 3/4 arm tops? ( if only I could find some in stock in fat lazy old fart )

What about some knee / elbow pads that ventilate well? Or are at least easy to slip down for the ride back uphill ?

Here's hoping this years rain will reduce our chances of spending summer sucking smoke - hopefully opening up the possibility of weekends in the high country. Or dare I suggest risking booking a Tasmania trip?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Change this and you stop overheating as easily.
Especially on an Eeb

Also. Do you really need...
knee / elbow pads
The majority of overweight older Ebike riders rides actually consist of fairly tame XC riding. Y'know.. The discipline where the majority of genuinely fit in shape guys wear nothing more than a slither of lycra and a lightweight helmet.

Pdoz

Feb 16, 2019
Also. Do you really need...
The majority of overweight older Ebike riders rides actually consist of fairly tame XC riding. Y'know.. The discipline where the majority of genuinely fit in shape guys wear nothing more than a slither of lycra and a lightweight helmet.

Definitely need the pads - I ride mostly dry , rocky country and there are a lot of nurses who would enjoy digging dirt out of my flesh . Oh, and the fat came after my first knee fracture, got worse after I shattered both knee caps, I've had the pleasure of cleaning out a mates elbow after he used it to stop . Plus I'm a clumsy twatt who doesn't enjoy pain.

Kingerz

Jul 11, 2021
Australia
It gets pretty hot in Australia and staying cool is an important element of outdoor life. Also, skin cancer is rife. At 63kg I am far from fat and even on an eMTB, sun protection without overheating is a much discussed topic. Sun cream has its limits.

Decathalon do great SPF 50+ long sleeved white tops and sun skivvies that keep you cool and reflect a lot of sun. Sailing and fishing gear is sometimes used too, or sun shirts from lightweight hiking, although these usually have hoods unfortunately.

I alpine areas, sun exposure is deadly, but it is typically cooler; in rainforests, I usually just accept I'll be soaked with sweat and get on with it.

I always wear Fox enduro sleeves for my knees, there's no reason not too and they have saved me many times from nasty injury. I even use thin vented soccer shin pads if I'm riding my local trails which are filled with plants that scratch my legs.

Pdoz

Feb 16, 2019
Well, that'll teach me to ask about summer riding gear....

BD84AAF5-BA42-4F4D-ACE6-5F6AC950F1C2.jpeg

Pdoz

Feb 16, 2019
I ride mostly dry , rocky country

Ok, at this point I'll accept I was premature asking about summer riding gear....In fact, I probably could just read robs thread on winter riding gear....

Definitely NOT complaining .....now where is that thread about firewood?

14508FAF-2E9C-4DA8-8526-8D7E66A001A9.jpeg 0E45192B-8417-47A6-B850-07403C86A038.jpeg

Steve38

Sep 10, 2020
Adelaide, Australia
For those of us in the southern hemisphere chuckling over Robs winter riding gear list..... has anyone found a solution for riding without frying? Preferably without looking like the love child of an S+M session between Gladys and Skummo ( aka not a dharco clown suit)

Up to the mid 30's I wear long sleeve sailing polos , usually zhik ( expensive but good) - they breath better than most riding jerseys, wick moisture at least as well , and most importantly the cuffs aren't tight so air flows up the sleeve. I have no illusions of abrasion protection from anything polyester .

Perhaps it's time for me to consider some 3/4 arm tops? ( if only I could find some in stock in fat lazy old fart )

What about some knee / elbow pads that ventilate well? Or are at least easy to slip down for the ride back uphill ?

Here's hoping this years rain will reduce our chances of spending summer sucking smoke - hopefully opening up the possibility of weekends in the high country. Or dare I suggest risking booking a Tasmania trip?

Never thought about Sailing Gear for Bike Riding but the zhik stuff looks great

Dharco do some understated stuff as well

Pdoz

Feb 16, 2019
Never thought about Sailing Gear for Bike Riding but the zhik stuff looks great

Dharco do some understated stuff as well

A few years back I bought a dharco plain colored jersey for myself and one of their floral jerseys for my daughter. The plain top didn't ventilate or wick as well as the floral top , and I'm not secure enough to wear her clothing.....so I hadn't looked at dharco again until youtwittface picked up this reference and started throwing adverts at me. Hey, 40% off crazy price....tie dye t shirts....floral party undies....sorry, Im still not that secure.

flash

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
I’m hoping to spend summer getting better on the bike. So I want to have some basic rib and back protection. That’s really hard at 42 degrees!

So far the best I’ve found are the cheap *100%* silk tshirts from asia on ebay, Basically like wearing nothing. Much more airflow than Fox Flexair. I can tolerate a Fox roost frame over one of those tshirts. Order a couple of sizes up. They size them for the Asian market.

I also like my zip off IXS knee pads. Pushing them down just moved the heat. These are easy to get off for a long uphill slog.

Gordon

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles