Suggestions Box

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Riding my Levo on some regular trails with quite a few short sharp climbs I have increasingly discovered that nearly all of them are not only achievable but actually easier to climb in trail mode using gear 9 or 10 rather than using turbo. Some of these climbs are in the middle of singletrack runs and it struck me today how awkward it is actually knowing what gear I am using....and therefore how many changes I need to make to get to gear 9 or 10. We no longer have the little tell tale window on the selector so it is usually a matter of glancing back at the cassette. Even then ( especially at speed) it just gives you a rough guess!

Suggestion:
If cassettes were made with sprocket no 5 a different colour to the rest you could at least take a more informed guess what gear you are in and therefore how many clicks needed to get to 9 for example.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Suggestion No 2:
I store my bikes indoors meaning a tortuous push around doorways and furniture to get to their storage space...........AND......I seem never to be a ble to complete that task ( in or out) without getting a pedal strike ( pinned flat pedals)! So much more noticeable now that I am in shorts everyday.

So I bought some pedal covers..................honestly never knew such a thing existed and was about to make my own, but then took a look online and found out they were a thing!! Apparently designed to protect your car assuming you are carrying a bike on its side in the back of a car. They served my purpose though. No more pedestrian pedal strikes!!
The ones I bought are called Nox Sox.

Husky430

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Glasshouse Mts - Australia
About the gear thing, I was fortunate to get a Di2 on my Merida which very conveniently displays what gear you are in on the dash.
Same with my better halves bike (Kellys) and I lent that to a mate and he commented on great it was to know what gear you are in without looking back at your cassette.
Sometimes that can be a bit inconvenient or even dangerous at times. I know that it's expensive outlay and not possible on most bikes (think you need a Shimano motor) but like I said very convenient. Just my 2 cents worth.

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
Shimano's E-Ride app shows a number of customisable elements on screen - one of which is gear I believe (I don't use the app). Others are Cadence, Battery, etc...

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
My bikes are Brose ( Levo) and Bosch ( Whyte)....and I have no interest in electric gear shift (just something else to go wrong that you cannot fix!!). For the time being I have taken to noting what gear I am in at the trail head and trying to keep track from there by counting!!

flash

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
I never walk my bike into the shed on two wheels. I always wheelbarrow it. No pedal strikes...

As for the gears, I don't see the point. I'm looking ahead when the terrain changes. I don't care what hear I'm in. I know how many shifts I need for the upcoming terrain and count the shifts. One down. Two up. nothing against the idea but no way I'm looking at my cassette while on my locals. That's the way to get into hospital. One of my bikes has AXS which displays gears on my Garmin and I still have no idea which gear I'm in.

Gordon

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles