Strengthened garage door - suggestions, advice or recommendations?

theremotejuggernaut

Aug 2, 2022
UK
The OP is lookin for a replacement SIDE DOOR!!.
A steel door sounds good but it still has to have a frame fixed into the blockwork..........and if that is a modern garage it will be thermablock which is as soft as cheese!! I suggest just a solid wood door from Screwfix/ B and Q.
Yes, but even if it is thermalite or whatever, the frame will be fixed at say 5 points each side? Maybe one fixing per block? Once the frame fixings are nipped up, the frame is pulled to the wall and the tension in the fixings holds the frame far more securely. It's becomes an assembly that has greater strength that it's individual components.

The blocks themselves aren't strong but the construction of the wall is.

Fitting a frame to a wall like that takes advantage of that strength.

Ok, you could fit the world's strongest door to that wall. You could just smash through the wall to get what you wanted from inside but an opportunist the if spotting a solid steel door is quite likely to be put off.

Or... Come back with all his mates and a jack hammer...

In which case, insurance is king.

JStrube

Sep 15, 2022
Atwater, CA
When I built my house about 18 years ago, one thing I insisted on adding, was a steel man door. It wasn't much more than a wooden door, and they sure are secure. Just look for a commercial grade door. Thicknesses are often a bit different, I had to use a commercial grade lockset, but being the same brand, they keyed it the same as the house. even if it had an extra tumbler pin.

Type1

Sep 6, 2022
Uk
I'm in a similar situation and will be getting one from here when the time comes.

There's a video on the site of Eddie Hall (worlds strongest man) trying to knock one down with a sledgehammer which is quite entertaining.

If you don't mind small bits of paint damage or whatever then check out the clearance section. They're mostly customer returns or transit damaged and priced down accordingly.

Even with a security door, I reckon the best protection is decent home insurance that covers your garage!
I use these at my business premises, good quality. I specifically have this one with options - Level 3 Security Door - STS202 BR3 / SR3 Rated | Latham's Steel Doors

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles