Strengthened garage door - suggestions, advice or recommendations?

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
We're looking to change our garage door (the walk in access) as its frame is cheap and rotting away. It's a good opportunity to put in a more secure version rather than the cheap glazed unit the builders put in.
So any suggestions or advice before we start looking would be appreciated.

theremotejuggernaut

Aug 2, 2022
UK
I'm in a similar situation and will be getting one from here when the time comes.

There's a video on the site of Eddie Hall (worlds strongest man) trying to knock one down with a sledgehammer which is quite entertaining.

If you don't mind small bits of paint damage or whatever then check out the clearance section. They're mostly customer returns or transit damaged and priced down accordingly.

Even with a security door, I reckon the best protection is decent home insurance that covers your garage!

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I’m not sure if you’re able to install a track-overhead door but security is a must.
I installed a dead-bolt latching system on my door and a few other neighbours. F9B39930-7572-4D0B-B4CE-02F89178A995.jpeg
The cost was about $14.
D95CB96E-CD11-45A3-8F3B-56CBB07475E3.jpeg
The opener is a track drive system and is fairly quiet. It also has wifi and an app that can program schedules and indicates when it’s opened etc.
4CA1B681-4533-4C52-B89A-59EA17F83A83.jpeg
The door is also insulated.
Some versions of openers have an automatic deadbolt system. (If it’ll fit).

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Just decorate outside the door with a knackered old dishwasher or washing machine, ideally semi rusted, dented and possibly with some mould growth. Placed at a jaunty angle, maybe even resting on an old broken concrete block. Possibly add to the effect with a few plastic dog sh1ts on the path and ideally distress the door to make it appear even more knackered than it already is.

No one's going to bother breaking in to somewhere like that !

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
You're lucky, I'm waiting for the rain to ease ...

Here's an example :

1679674084398.png

Despite keeping their normal day to day luxuries like the wind chime, giving the area a calming and relaxed zen like atmosphere you'd like to shit sit in . The overview to a passer by makes the area seem oddly unattractive and gives the feeling that you wouldn't really want to waste your time robbing the place (except possibly for the wind chime and that hanging basket doesn't really need much work before you could sell it down the market 🤪 ).

If you work this properly, you can even turn it into an income stream. It's the kind of setting which at night should attract certain ladies and their clientele for a quicky knee jerker. Install a subtle solar light if there's no street light coverage - don't want anyone tripping and suing, a rusty over priced condom machine on the wall and possibly an honesty box with a plaque displaying suggested rates for using the area (ideally digital so the rates can vary depending on the time and demand) and you'll have not only protected your house for virtually zero outlay, but built a business at the same time.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire

Here's an example :

View attachment 109997

Despite keeping their normal day to day luxuries like the wind chime, giving the area a calming and relaxed zen like atmosphere you'd like to shit sit in . The overview to a passer by makes the area seem oddly unattractive and gives the feeling that you wouldn't really want to waste your time robbing the place (except possibly for the wind chime and that hanging basket doesn't really need much work before you could sell it down the market 🤪 ).

If you work this properly, you can even turn it into an income stream. It's the kind of setting which at night should attract certain ladies and their clientele for a quicky knee jerker. Install a subtle solar light if there's no street light coverage - don't want anyone tripping and suing, a rusty over priced condom machine on the wall and possibly an honesty box with a plaque displaying suggested rates for using the area (ideally digital so the rates can vary depending on the time and demand) and you'll have not only protected your house for virtually zero outlay, but built a business at the same time.

I have the same wind chime hanging in my garage 😆

D53B820C-C93B-4337-BDB5-D2585897AD34.jpeg

Swiss Roll

Jul 28, 2021
Switzerland

Here's an example :

View attachment 109997

That washing machine is clearly a Smeg, is this a result of you crashing before you even got out of the garage? We all wondered how you got be such an expert on armour.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Sadly, my garage doors are sheet metal, so they are not rotting away. They do require painting every ten years or so though. I bought some cheap sliding bolt locks and fitted two to the bottom of each door so that the bolt slid into a hole drilled into the concrete floor. I used "pop" rivets to secure the base plate of the lock to the metal door. Once painted over they were almost invisible. In addition to the standard garage door lock that makes the door a lot harder to break into. It does mean that I cannot enter the garage via the up and over doors, but seeing as I don't keep my cars in there anymore, it's not a problem.

Once I got an emtb, I decided to insulate the doors because the garage was freezing in the winter and roasting in the summer. The cold weather was affecting the battery and the hot weather was affecting the freezer. Both were affecting me when I was working there. I bought some aluminium "silver" foil backed 3mm thick expanded polystyrene foam sheets, sold as radiator insulator sheets. The sales pitch was to put them on the wall behind the radiator to reflect the heat back into the room and to increase the insulation of the wall. They come in standard wallpaper format in terms of width and length. One roll was enough to paste the back of one door. I used standard wallpaper paste, but I suspect that IPA adhesive would have been cheaper and better. The illumination in the garage doubles and the temperature fluctuations were dramatically improved. Here's one! Oh, and you can see one of the sliding bolt locks at the bottom!

Garage door after.jpg

Don't forget the other aspects of your garage security. The openings on my window frames are bolted shut. The pedestrian access door has been replaced. Previously it was a low-quality wooden frame door with a glass upper panel and a thin plywood lower panel. It came with two cheap looking 3" long metal hinges and a cheap 3-lever mortice lock I replaced it with a fire door quality wooden (not fibre board, chip board, block board, or plywood) door 40mm thick, no easy to kick in panels, three 4" heavy gauge stainless steel hinges and two five lever mortice locks.

Then to finish off I fitted a heavy gauge floor shackle and a heavy gauge chain with a key lock, all by Kryptonite (gold rated). I added a cable and a combination lock to secure the fork. See below on my previous bike. When I posted this pic before I was advised to move the cable to protect the fork, not the wheel - good advice!

Kryptonite.jpg

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I only use a washing machine for that purpose if it is switched on to spin.
There does appear to be a power cable on the floor next to the machine.

Therefore I'm going to take your answer as "Yes" and just presume that a man of your abilities and passion ended up causing the machine to end up on it's side in the process.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK

Therefore I'm going to take your answer as "Yes" and just presume that a man of your abilities and passion ended up causing the machine to end up on it's side in the process.
It wasn't me! I'm sure that if I check my diary, I will find that I wasn't using a washing machine that day (whichever day it was). :eek:

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire

I take it that it's still raining or you just like nosing around other people's garages? 😁
I'll not comment on my rustic knocking shop 😙

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
Sadly, my garage doors are sheet metal, so they are not rotting away. They do require painting every ten years or so though. I bought some cheap sliding bolt locks and fitted two to the bottom of each door so that the bolt slid into a hole drilled into the concrete floor. I used "pop" rivets to secure the base plate of the lock to the metal door. Once painted over they were almost invisible. In addition to the standard garage door lock that makes the door a lot harder to break into. It does mean that I cannot enter the garage via the up and over doors, but seeing as I don't keep my cars in there anymore, it's not a problem.

Once I got an emtb, I decided to insulate the doors because the garage was freezing in the winter and roasting in the summer. The cold weather was affecting the battery and the hot weather was affecting the freezer. Both were affecting me when I was working there. I bought some aluminium "silver" foil backed 3mm thick expanded polystyrene foam sheets, sold as radiator insulator sheets. The sales pitch was to put them on the wall behind the radiator to reflect the heat back into the room and to increase the insulation of the wall. They come in standard wallpaper format in terms of width and length. One roll was enough to paste the back of one door. I used standard wallpaper paste, but I suspect that IPA adhesive would have been cheaper and better. The illumination in the garage doubles and the temperature fluctuations were dramatically improved. Here's one! Oh, and you can see one of the sliding bolt locks at the bottom!

View attachment 110032

Don't forget the other aspects of your garage security. The openings on my window frames are bolted shut. The pedestrian access door has been replaced. Previously it was a low-quality wooden frame door with a glass upper panel and a thin plywood lower panel. It came with two cheap looking 3" long metal hinges and a cheap 3-lever mortice lock I replaced it with a fire door quality wooden (not fibre board, chip board, block board, or plywood) door 40mm thick, no easy to kick in panels, three 4" heavy gauge stainless steel hinges and two five lever mortice locks.

Then to finish off I fitted a heavy gauge floor shackle and a heavy gauge chain with a key lock, all by Kryptonite (gold rated). I added a cable and a combination lock to secure the fork. See below on my previous bike. When I posted this pic before I was advised to move the cable to protect the fork, not the wheel - good advice!

View attachment 110037
Blimey Steve, you really are proud of your garage, I'm just surprised you didn't sneek in a sofa and a fridge. 🍻

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
The OP is lookin for a replacement SIDE DOOR!!.
A steel door sounds good but it still has to have a frame fixed into the blockwork..........and if that is a modern garage it will be thermablock which is as soft as cheese!! I suggest just a solid wood door from Screwfix/ B and Q.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
The OP is lookin for a replacement SIDE DOOR!!.
A steel door sounds good but it still has to have a frame fixed into the blockwork..........and if that is a modern garage it will be thermablock which is as soft as cheese!! I suggest just a solid wood door from Screwfix/ B and Q./Jewsons

Nicho

Captain Caption
Subscriber
Jan 4, 2020
Furness, South Cumbria.
I’m not sure if you’re able to install a track-overhead door but security is a must.
I installed a dead-bolt latching system on my door and a few other neighbours. View attachment 109995
The cost was about $14.
View attachment 109994
The opener is a track drive system and is fairly quiet. It also has wifi and an app that can program schedules and indicates when it’s opened etc.
View attachment 109993
The door is also insulated.
Some versions of openers have an automatic deadbolt system. (If it’ll fit).
An excellently presented display of toilet brushes!!

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Blimey Steve, you really are proud of your garage, I'm just surprised you didn't sneek in a sofa and a fridge. 🍻
If I was that proud, the inside would not look like Steptoe's Yard.

For those unlucky enough never to have seen it, this was a 70's-80's TV series about Harold Steptoe and his father Albert, who used a horse & cart to collect junk from people's houses. They lived together, bickering constantly about their sad lives and life in general. Enormously funny, definitely not PC. Their house was full of the best junk and the outside (their "yard") was full of sundry junk, detritus and general crap that was not fit for the house. ie Steptoe's yard is a euphemism for full of crap.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Steve Sordy's missus " Would you like a cup of tea love"
Steve " Yes please "
He then said ...

"The story of tea begins in China. According to legend, in 2737 BC, the Chinese emperor Shen Nung was sitting beneath a tree while his servant boiled drinking water, when some leaves from the tree blew into the water. Shen Nung, a renowned herbalist, decided to try the infusion that his servant had accidentally created.

Not everything needs a full & complete explanation Steve ..chill baby 😉😂

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I dunno .. I quite like Steve's footnotes .. They appear in my head as zen like voice overs ....

Footnotes are notes indicated in your text with numbers and placed at the bottom of the page. They're used to provide: Citations (e.g., in Chicago notes and bibliography) Additional information that would disrupt the flow of the main text. Or when someone drunk found a sharpie and wrote on your foot - which would suggest you were also possibly drunk ...

Giff

Subscriber
Oct 14, 2019
Cheshire UK
We're looking to change our garage door (the walk in access) as its frame is cheap and rotting away. It's a good opportunity to put in a more secure version rather than the cheap glazed unit the builders put in.
So any suggestions or advice before we start looking would be appreciated.
If at all possible put a solid shutter on the outside as well.
Twice as secure and if they break through they think they are in….they’re not! a bit demoralising…….

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
I went with this as I was worried about security:

Steel doors with good weatherproofing and more insulation. I've been really impressed with it. Its nice to be able to quickly open one of the doors and pop out, and back in, without the noisy opening of the whole garage door etc.

Installers Garage Doors & Automation Kent, 1st Choice Garage Doors - they also have a showroom with various door models.

I have an average sized garage and it was about £3K fitted. They are made to measure for your opening. The only slight issue was they dont come with a door stop as standard, so they could swing open in the wind and bash on the brickwork! I couldnt have that so the installers retro fitted an internal retainer swing arm thing to hold the doors at max 90 degrees opening. Also the inside was left unfinished, you could see expanding foam etc round the sides. I put up a plastic frame up to cover the unsightly bits and make it all look nice.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Having worked all across Europe and Scandinavia (+ Greece) and dealing with all of the different languages and culture differences, I became aware that not everyone understands English, even if they speak it well enough to appear as though they do. As I was not prepared to learn the 16 or so languages and so forth, I decided to be the best I could be at communicating in English (the company's working language). I could go on to describe how I did that, but that might come close to a full and complete explanation. :)

Last edited:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I'm more impressed that @steve_sordy after all these years has kept his first bike ..
View attachment 110056
Thanks for the reminder!! :love:
Originally it was sold as the "Grasshopper". It had stick on eyes and it looked really good. Apart from the eyes it has stood the test of time. In terms of smiles per £/year it has been the cheapest thing I ever bought.
It was my elder daughter's first "bike" from when she could barely walk. It then did duty for her sister and then her kids.
That first daughter is now 46 and her sister's kids are 16 and 13. They all still ride bikes. I'm keeping it for my great grandkids. :)

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles