Stock H15 rear hub is destroyed after 4 weeks

Mackeminexile

Subscriber
Jul 28, 2023
Huddersfield UK
Hi all, new to the forum. Ended up here after searching about this issue. I've just had the freehub blow up on my Race Face AR after 3 weeks on my Orbea Wild FS H20. Similar to other posters I wasn't happy to go with a replacement hub and upgraded the wheel. A new, apparently upgraded hub is on the way from Spain so we'll see what I get. Tbh I plan on selling the AR set and getting a new front wheel too.

LeeS69

Aug 27, 2022
Yorkshire
You don’t want that alloy shaft, it should be chromoly steel as the replacement free hub is. There’s numerous people have had the shaft snap or wear through

Here’s the steel shaft part number (edit, again, posted so many times I’ve forgotten where😄) they supplied under warranty next to the warranty replacement free hub. As you can see the material is black, steel. V the whiter alloy of original we get originally

View attachment 121249
Is the front an alloy axle too do you know? Is that a waste of time too? Might tell the shop it's not satisfactory if it doesn't come with the axle.

Mackeminexile

Subscriber
Jul 28, 2023
Huddersfield UK
Received my "upgraded" hub. Also made of cheese and actually broke in my hands while rotating after fitting it. Have gone back to the shop for them to handle as now have zero interest in a replacement from same brand. Shockingly bad choice of componentry. Only reason I'm not going mad is that I purchased a Hope Fortus 30 Pro 5 at a serious disco to keep me moving.

Tony4wd

Subscriber
Aug 3, 2022
Australia
I'm not too worried about my wheel replacement since I got the bike at a big discount, but I put in a claim to test Orbea Australia warranty - going very, very slowly so far.
I put a DT Swiss HX1501 on and I'm impressed by the star ratchet system - super easy to service and I can even whip the cassette/freehub off on the trail if needed.

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
Orbea refused a warranty replacement so the shop have offered a wheel rebuild with XT hub. Really good of them considering they're out of pocket. Shocking from Orbea to the point that I'd not buy from them again tbh.
To be fair the shop sounds helpful but if you bought the bike off them they had no option but to replace the hub under warranty as your contract was with them not Orbea
It sucks thou that Orbea did not step up and honour there warranty.

CharlieMTB

Nov 4, 2023
New Hampshire, USA
Hi All, I have the Rise H15 Chosen freehub failure as well, about 170 miles on the bike. Looks like most of the posts here have been regarding full hub replacement but has anyone found a replacement/substitute for just the freehub body that can be used in the existing Chosen hub to keep riding while waiting on the warranty?

Tony4wd

Subscriber
Aug 3, 2022
Australia
Hi All, I have the Rise H15 Chosen freehub failure as well, about 170 miles on the bike. Looks like most of the posts here have been regarding full hub replacement but has anyone found a replacement/substitute for just the freehub body that can be used in the existing Chosen hub to keep riding while waiting on the warranty?
I'd like to know too since I can't get a warranty replacement from Orbea, but since you're in the UK you could grab a 1/2 price DT M1900 from Wiggle instead of putting cash towards the cheesy Orbea wheel: https://www.wiggle.com/p/m1900-mtb-...eSpacing=29"&freehubBody=Shimano+Micro+Spline

CharlieMTB

Nov 4, 2023
New Hampshire, USA
I'd like to know too since I can't get a warranty replacement from Orbea, but since you're in the UK you could grab a 1/2 price DT M1900 from Wiggle instead of putting cash towards the cheesy Orbea wheel: https://www.wiggle.com/p/m1900-mtb-rear-wheel?color=blackgrey&wheelSizeAxleSpacing=29"&freehubBody=Shimano+Micro+Spline
Thanks for the quick reply, that's quite a deal. I'm actually in the US, not quite as good for my location but I'll keep my eyes peeled. As others have said, it's a shame the hub is such poor quality for the price of the bike, I don't even use the full output of the motor with the settings I run. Was hoping there might be a fairly low cost option to just get me through another month or two until snow starts to fly and I'll be switching to my fat tire bike.

Feb 6, 2023
Uk
Yes if you replace under warranty they send you the correct chromoly steel one
But replace the axle as well as it snaps or wears through in some cases

It’s covered on here somewhere

CharlieMTB

Nov 4, 2023
New Hampshire, USA
Yes if you replace under warranty they send you the correct chromoly steel one
But replace the axle as well as it snaps or wears through in some cases

It’s covered on here somewhere
Thanks, my LBS is going after the warranty I was just hoping there was a freehub body I could swap in while I wait so I can keep riding. Guess the best option is to get a backup (or new primary) wheel instead like Tony4wd mentioned. Going to wait a bit to justify that since I just spent a fair amount to buy the bike a little over a month ago. I'll just hope Orbea is quick with the replacement.

Feb 6, 2023
Uk
Thanks, my LBS is going after the warranty I was just hoping there was a freehub body I could swap in while I wait so I can keep riding. Guess the best option is to get a backup (or new primary) wheel instead like Tony4wd mentioned. Going to wait a bit to justify that since I just spent a fair amount to buy the bike a little over a month ago. I'll just hope Orbea is quick with the replacement.
The wheels are shit as they say. The rims flex on off camber surfaces and push the bike off line.
Dt Swiss or whatever but check the weight limit

Weeksy

Dec 13, 2019
Reading
Interesting read this one. Notice some play in my rear wheel today Side to side wiggle/play like a bearing, is that the usual symptom? fitted a spare wheel and that's fine, so it's wheel rather than frame.
Mine is a H15. No markings on hub.

Question.
1. Can I run a 6 bolt? Do I need a magnet for speed sensor etc?

I've got spare wheels, just need an XD cassette for one of them for now.

Last edited:

ojankanu

Dec 20, 2022
Spain
Interesting read this one. Notice some play in my rear wheel today Side to side wiggle/play like a bearing, is that the usual symptom? fitted a spare wheel and that's fine, so it's wheel rather than frame.
Mine is a H15. No markings on hub.

Question.
1. Can I run a 6 bolt? Do I need a magnet for speed sensor etc?

I've got spare wheels, just need an XD cassette for one of them for now.

with one of this you can fit a 6b. Anyway I managed myself with a bit of epoxy and a neodimiun magnet.

1708434589709.png

By the way, after going through warranty four times and breaking the wheel five times, I ended up buying a DT wheel with a hybrid hub.

Weeksy

Dec 13, 2019
Reading
I bought a Hope PRo5, just waiting for it to arrive, but i've also had my LBS raise a case with Orbea, but he doesn't think i'll get a wheel as he's not convinced it more than wear and tear... with 400 miles on the bike, i'm not convinced, but i'm not going to argue too much.
I bought the Pro5 in centerlock anyway just to keep things simple

EchoLima21

Jan 8, 2021
Surrey, Uk
I bought a Hope PRo5, just waiting for it to arrive, but i've also had my LBS raise a case with Orbea, but he doesn't think i'll get a wheel as he's not convinced it more than wear and tear... with 400 miles on the bike, i'm not convinced, but i'm not going to argue too much.
I bought the Pro5 in centerlock anyway just to keep things simple
Hello there, geezer!
Conversely, my Specialized G3 Levo freehub went tits up after three rides (warrantied) then again four months and 600 miles later (also warrantied).
Because Spesh couldn’t source a replacement OEM freehub they (after some haranguing by my LBS) replaced the front and rear with Hope Fortus 30 and Pro 5 hubs.
A failure after 400 miles within the warranty period should be something you can pursue.

Weeksy

Dec 13, 2019
Reading
I'm not going to get too hasty and will service the hub with new bearings and see. I agree 400 miles is poor beyond words, but not completely impossible. I expect I'll have a set of bearings in spares for it, maybe that'll sort it. But I think it's pretty unlikely.

We'll see what Orbea say as the LBS have requested it.

Weeksy

Dec 13, 2019
Reading
I put the Hope Pro5 in and still had some play, but it was in the main pivot linkage as well as the old wheel. So i had to strip the pivots/arms and re-do them all properly. This time using some Loctite as per the latest thoughts.
I'm still waiting on Orbea to respond as not only did they want it taking to the shop for pics, but after i'd picked it up they wanted a video of the play. Which as you can imagine was really hard to show for both the wheel and the rocker arms/linkage... But i've sent the video and my LBS have sent it off to them.
It hasn't exactly soured my ownership, but i'm a little disappointed with a few bits at times.

Tony4wd

Subscriber
Aug 3, 2022
Australia
I'll only buy a new Orbea if I can get it at a massive discount because their warranty service is crap. They know those hubs are faulty so they should supply replacement parts without question.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles