STEPS E8000 Motor Service

S13

Mar 1, 2021
NL
In the end I put a thin washer under the C-Clip to reduce the axial play and I also replaced this bearing because it didn't spin as smoothly as the others, I lubricated everything well and for now, after 200 km, everything works as it did when it was new :)
Hope it remains that way.
I did the same thing with the washer. But for me the grinding would restart after ~500kms. Regreasing would then help again, but the grinding would return faster and faster each time, until the grinding became permanent.

Marc_250

Sep 20, 2019
UK
Just finished my overhaul frustrating....(see below), just done a couple of miles and it's as quiet as it gets but will see how it holds up over a few thousand. There was/is a small crack/hole in the right side of the plastic casing that's been there since this motor was replaced under warranty wonder if it could be why the grease looked so bad. Will stick some epoxy over it before first proper ride.

So the massively frustrating part of the overhaul....put motor back in frame (fortunately only did the minimum to test it would turn on)...pressed on...nothing..dead.

After going over things again and again which ultimately resorted to me reopening the motor but not finding anything to explain why it was dead...thinking call it a day but looks like I somehow terminally damaged something...

Random thought to try another battery (old 500)...turns right on....swap battery back (new 630)...dead again...connect battery to charger then put back on....works....insert many swear words here

Spiff

Feb 27, 2019
Earth
Now you can for sure call it a day.

The problem with the 630w battery is a known issue:

Marc_250

Sep 20, 2019
UK
I've never had that issue once so for it to strike when it did :mad:

Little over 100 miles since I serviced it and so far so good.

Last edited:

vraykovde

Oct 23, 2022
Deutschland
Hello colleagues, please advise. The shim in the picture is broken, where can i bye one. Its size should be approx. ca.19 x ca.22 x 0.4. The closest that I found is the 16.51 x 21.72 x 0.25-SS, will the smaller inner diameter be a problem? Maybe it will rest on the metal bearing cap.

IMG_8698.JPEG