Steps E8000 motor issues

ARH92

Aug 6, 2021
Anglesey
Hi, my bike has developed a intermittent fault where the motor will cut out for a split second. The bike is a Bergamont E-Trailster Pro with the E8000 motor and the E7000 display. I'll be riding along doing 15mph, then I will hear the motor cut out and give me a sudden burst of power for a split second. While this is happening, the speedometer reads 7.5 mph, then jumps back to 15mph. This all happens in a matter of seconds. No error codes are shown on the screen.

I've tried connecting to the E-tube app to see if there's any error codes in the logs, but it says my firmware doesn't support error logs? The bike is fully up to date.

Anyone else had this problem? If so what was the cause?

Thanks,
Aled.

DJ57UMP

Mar 13, 2021
England
Sounds like the speed sensor is on the way out.
I don’t know what version you have but Google Shimano Speed sensor, figure out what one you have then trouble shoot it.

ARH92

Aug 6, 2021
Anglesey
Hi, thanks for the advice. I'll have a look to see if I can get a part number off the unit. The speed sensor is mounted on the disk rotor on my bike rather than the wheel.

Thanks.

Spiff

Feb 27, 2019
Earth
Hi, thanks for the advice. I'll have a look to see if I can get a part number off the unit. The speed sensor is mounted on the disk rotor on my bike rather than the wheel.

Thanks.

Check the distance from sensor to magnet, in spoke mounted magnet the distance should be 3 to 17mm. Also check that the rear wheel is mounted properly and that it does not wobble while rotating

DJ57UMP

Mar 13, 2021
England
Ah right, that's the SM-DUE10. It's a pain because it comes in 3 cable lengths - 340mm, 540mm and 1400mm.

I keep one in the van as a spare because they just decide they're going to fail!

Fortunately they are not expensive.

You'll probably find if you buy the 1400mm one that you can accommodate the extra cable length in the frame. Also if you get one you can un plug the old one and test it before you remove the old one and fit the new - to prove it's the pseed sensor.

ARH92

Aug 6, 2021
Anglesey
Ah right, that's the SM-DUE10. It's a pain because it comes in 3 cable lengths - 340mm, 540mm and 1400mm.

I keep one in the van as a spare because they just decide they're going to fail!

Fortunately they are not expensive.

You'll probably find if you buy the 1400mm one that you can accommodate the extra cable length in the frame. Also if you get one you can un plug the old one and test it before you remove the old one and fit the new - to prove it's the pseed sensor.

Thanks for the help and link! Can you please elaborate as to how you would test the sensor? Also, if I bought a new sensor, do I need to calibrate it in any way, or is it just a strait swap?

Thanks again!

DJ57UMP

Mar 13, 2021
England
Thanks for the help and link! Can you please elaborate as to how you would test the sensor? Also, if I bought a new sensor, do I need to calibrate it in any way, or is it just a strait swap?

Thanks again!

Unplug the current one from the motor, then plug the new one in. With the bike in the stand you can hold or tape the new sensor roughly in place and spin the wheel to see if it records a speed. If it does you are good to go.

If you did buy one they are just plug and play - no setup needed.

It sounds way more complicated than it is, but it's really just a magnetic sensor on a cable that feeds through the frame. It's crazy how simple it is really.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles