Stance rear shock replacement questions

ro1ex

Apr 3, 2022
Australia
Hi all,
Sorry, but some more newby questions...

Want to upgrade my rear shock on my Stance e+2
Currently a RockShox Monarch R and is 185mm, 120mm travel.

Assuming that only other 185mm will fit, or will Fox 190mm fit?

What are your recommendations for upgrade?

Appreciated,

Ian

ro1ex

Apr 3, 2022
Australia
This the current shock and looks like Giant designed the frame around it.
Any others that might fit?

68BDBE06-5BB7-4922-9502-36A5836EEC40.jpeg
F775A98E-DB0D-411A-9CB2-3ECBF68B1989.jpeg

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
So although the bike has 120mm of travel the shock will only around half that, on the back of the shock will be more info such as 185 x 55.
So you need to get a shock with those dimensions.
The top mount looks like a standard fitting and you can probably swap the spacers that are on both sides to a new shock if required. I can't see the bottom mount but I'm sure others on here will know the spec.
There's lots of options and opinions on which brand is best and at the high end the shocks are very good but probably overly complicated and expensive.

ro1ex

Apr 3, 2022
Australia
Rear shock is 184x44
I wouldn't mind getting a lockout for mine, so maybe a Monarch RL?

Yep, 184/44 or 7.25/1.75" - which I now understand as being the dimension vs stroke (yep, newbie but slowly learning...and maybe this helps other newbies).

Seems to be fairly limited options available for such. RockShox Monarch R and Monarch RL. There are also a couple of Fox DPS models, but pretty expensive to buy new... Will keep looking and investigating.

But would be good to hear from anyone who has done an upgrade...

Cheers,

Ian

ro1ex

Apr 3, 2022
Australia
Attended my local Giant store today and spoke with one of the mechanics. He seemed to think that a Fox DPS 190 might fit...

Seems that this size might be more readily available in the second-hand market.

Would be interested in your thoughts?
Anyone tried?

ro1ex

Apr 3, 2022
Australia
Awesome!
I want to hear all about it.
Modifications required?
Did it yourself, or LBS?
Notice much change going to 190x42.5?
Lockout effective?
Other thoughts?
Hi Dave
Tried to source a new one from Fox via my local Giant store, but told that no stock before Nov 2022.

In the interim I have been watching the second hand market where I found this one.

Slightly less stroke which will likely translate to a bit less travel and slightly longer which has very slightly changed the front angle but in doing so may have taken a bit of slack out.

Did it myself and was a really easy job. Straight swap with no mods required! 👍

Yet to hit a trail with it, but feels good just round the local streets…

Will report back after next ride 👍

DaveMatthews

Aug 12, 2018
Vancouver, B.C. Canada
Hi Dave
Tried to source a new one from Fox via my local Giant store, but told that no stock before Nov 2022.

In the interim I have been watching the second hand market where I found this one.

Slightly less stroke which will likely translate to a bit less travel and slightly longer which has very slightly changed the front angle but in doing so may have taken a bit of slack out.

Good to hear. I did look around and saw a couple of these as well. Not sure about new ones though.
Glad to see no mods required as well.
Very curious about how well the lockout works, and your trail experience!

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
First i am curious, why was it not to your liking?
I like the rear suspension.I am a light rider.
How much do you weight?

ro1ex

Apr 3, 2022
Australia
First i am curious, why was it not to your liking?
I like the rear suspension.I am a light rider.
How much do you weight?
I’m 90kg
I mainly wanted the ability to lock out the rear but also like the three stages of the DPS that I have had on previous bikes.
Each to there own.
if you like your rear shock mate, then no need to change 👍

Kiwi Giant

Subscriber
Feb 11, 2020
New Zealand
Hi all.

I’ve now had my 2021 Stance E+ 2 for nearly a year and I’ll admit that I’ve been a bit slack with my rear shock servicing. I’ve never carried out the 50hr/6 month service and now the 100hr/1 year service/rebuild is coming up. Having ridden nearly 3600kms in the last 12 months I’m sure that 100 hours is somewhere back well in the past anyway.

Shopping around for the 100hr Service the cost appeared to be anywhere from NZD $250.00 - $300.00, so not cheap. My solution to all this, along with the added advantage of an upgrade to a better shock was to purchase a brand new Fox Float DPS Performance Elite that had been removed unused from a new 2018 Santa Cruz, Tallboy by a LBS a while back and they were having a clear out, it cost me NZD $300.00 (USD $195.00, GBP £155.00). The Float DPS Performance Elite is like my fork upgrade to a Fox Rhthym 34 on another post. It is an OEM shock, that is, it is a range of shock from Fox that is only supplied to bicycle manufacturers for fitment to new bikes. In Fox’s range it sits between the Float DPS Performance and Float DPS Factory.

There is nothing wrong with the original Rockshox Monarch R, but it is pretty much an entry-level shock with no ability to fit volume reducer spacers and other than the sag setup it’s only other adjustment is rebound. The Fox comes with a 0.6” volume spacer installed as standard and the ability to increase the volume spacer’s size. As well as an 11-position rebound damping adjustment it also has a 3-position lever giving the choice of Open, Medium and Firm compression. In the “Open” mode there is also another 3-position dial that allows you to further adjust the 'Open' mode with three fine-tune compression settings, posn #1 gives a softer feel thru to #3 that feels firmer.

The original Rockshox Monarch R measures 184mm x 44mm (Eye to Eye length x Stroke length) this is 7.25” x 1.75”. Unfortunately this size is not as common as some sizes so it may require quite a bit of searching.

I’ve only been for a couple of rides so I’m still sorting through all the settings, sag I’ve set at 12mm (Fox suggest 11-13mm), rebound at 3 clicks in from closed and compression at Open and initially the fine tune at posn #3 (Firm), I found that this was not giving me much sensitivity so I dialled it back to posn #1 (Soft) and it felt much better on the second downhill. The road ride out and track climb up in Firm and then Medium was good with a feeling of “lockout” and stiffer respectively.

IMG_1163.JPG
IMG_1164.JPG
IMG_1165.JPG
IMG_1166.JPG

Kiwi Giant

Subscriber
Feb 11, 2020
New Zealand
To aid those who may want to do this mod I’ve created a post to help and add to the general knowledge base on the Stance

Fitment of Fox’s Float DPS Performance Elite rear shock is relatively simple but will require you to press out and reuse the top pin and DU bush from the original Rockshox Monarch R. Giant don’t use a bush of any kind on the lower pivot which appears to me to be a bit cheap and nasty, I suppose that given the rear shock geometry there is relatively small amounts of movement at this point, but still! The cavity that the lower pivot sits in is a massive water trap with no drainage, so check your swing arm bearings regularly (mine were good) and keep this cavity dry after riding in future if there is any moisture is present. BTW all four bearing are 6802 VRSU (15 x 24 x 5mm sealed Max type bearing). With the shock out I took the opportunity to cleaned out this cavity area and coat the exposed parts of the frame and swing arm bearings with some Finish Line Teflon grease to prevent future corrosion.

As I said the lower pivot through bolt (72 x 15mm) runs straight into the shock’s lower eyelet (clearance fit) without any bearing, both shocks are the same dimensions so all the same hardware that came out can be reused. The Fox shock eyelet is the same width as the Monarch and is sandwiched in the frame with two spacers (nylon 15.1 x 19 x 11.6mm) and there is no seal so assemble with plenty of corrosion preventative lube.

The upper pivot eyelet was a little more tricky as the Monarch runs a 12.7 x 15 x 12.7mm DU self lubricating bush pressed into the shock upper eyelet (15mm dia) with a pin (6.1 x 12.7 x 22.2mm) pressed into the DU bush and spacers either side with small internal o-rings for sealing. All held together with a 40 x 6mm bolt. The Fox also has a 15mm dia shock eyelet, but it came with all the Santa Cruz Tallboy hardware, it was a different arrangement with an 8mm pivot bolt, two flanged bushings instead of the single DU bushing, and a different o-ring / spacer setup. Fortunately all I had to do was push out the pin (6.1 x 12.7 x 22.2mm) from the Monarch and reuse that. I retained the two flanged bushings that were in the Fox and reused the o-ring / spacer arrangement that came with it as well. It all worked a treat.

If you aren’t lucky enough to have spare hardware like I did and don’t want to try pushing out the original DU self lubricating bush (12.7 x 15 x 12.7mm) from the Monarch then you will need to source a bushing arrangement that steps down from 15mm (shock eyelet ID) to 12.7mm (pin OD). Just remember that you want to press out and press in any hardware your changing over or fitting new, don’t use a hammer and a punch as you may cause damage. I used a combination of a small threaded rod with nuts and washers at either end, and, a combination of small and deep reach sockets, it all worked well.

Monarch Upper Eyelet with DU Bearing installed and with pin and spacers (spacer internal oring).JPG

Monarch with DU self lubricating bush (12.7 x 15 x 12.7mm) installed in eyelet, above this the pin (6.1 x 12.7 x 22.2mm) and two spacers (one with the internal ring removed.

Monarch Upper Eyelet with DU Bearing.JPG

Monarch with DU self lubricating bush (12.7 x 15 x 12.7mm) installed in eyelet.

Fox Upper Eyelet assembled and with hardware arrangement shown.jpg

The Fox upper eyelet assembled and above the pin, two flanged bushings (instead of the single DU bushing), and then o-rings and spacers shown in order of assembly for clarity.

Fox Upper Eyelet with flanged bushes fitted and Oring.jpg

Fox upper eyelet with the two flanged bushings installed and the location of the ring in the groove of the flanged bushing to provide sealing. The spacer sits on the outside of this.

I hope this all helps.

linxus

Jun 24, 2021
Poland
Hi Dave

Have you tried it yet :)?

Nomad1

Apr 2, 2023
The original Monarch is 184mm x 44mm (Eye to Eye length x Stroke length) this is 7.25” x 1.75” in imperial measurements, so yes. Bushes will transfer fine.
Great I put a fox factory 36e on front of my bike and wanted to upgrade the rear as you can actually feel the back isn't matched

Nomad1

Apr 2, 2023
Hi all,
Sorry, but some more newby questions...

Want to upgrade my rear shock on my Stance e+2
Currently a RockShox Monarch R and is 185mm, 120mm travel.

Assuming that only other 185mm will fit, or will Fox 190mm fit?

What are your recommendations for upgrade?

Appreciated,

Ian
Don't be sorry this post has produced some very useful information that is helpful today and most likely continue to be helpful to some in the future! I would add that after upgrading the shock you may find yourself wanting to change the fork as well to get balanced performance front to rear.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles