SRAM XG 1275 Eagle 10-50 v 10 -52

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I need to change my XG Eagle 1275 10-52 shortly but absolutely nobody in the UK has stock. Avaialbility of the previous model ...the XG 1275 10-50 is however readilly available.

Dont think I have ever used the 52t so not worried a bout losing some low gear capability but my question is would using a 10-50 be a straight swop?................B stop adjustment would no doubt be required but I cannot think there would be any other difference.

Mech and shifter are X01.

eMullet

Mar 28, 2021
Planet Earth
My understanding is that only the b stop adjustment is all you need to do. If the current chain length is at the limit, then you have to also modify the length but I'll bet that the current chain length would be just fine.

Rich-EMTB-UK

E*POWAH Master
Aug 11, 2019
UK
I recently swopped my X01 axs rear mech off of my old TL with a 10-50 NX cassette onto my new bike with XX1 10-52 cassette and didn't have to make any changes to the B setting. So you will probably be okay to just switch it in and try it.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
OK thanks guys. My thinking is that SRAM say all Eagle components are compatible meaning any Eagle mech and shifter will work with an Eagle cassette. The final sprocket on 10-52 must be a slightly bigger diameter than on the 10-50 to accomodate the extra 2 teeth. The B tension gap between the top jockey wheel and the biggest sprocket is 3mm when the chain is on the 11th sprocket so changing from 52 to 50 final sprocket should mean the B tension gap will be a few mm too big and need tightening to close the gap.
The spacing between sprockets and I assume the total distance between sprocket 1 and sprocket 12 is the same.

It would be nice to hear from someone who has changed from 10-52 to 10-50 to be sure before I spend money on a 10-50 though!!

RustyIron

Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
I'm glad to hear that the parts can be mixed and matched. My Amish bike was set up as 50 tooth, when that was the only option. It's cassette is nearing the end of its life, so I'd like to install the 52 tooth that's on my eMTB, and get a new one for the eMTB.

Swissrob

Sep 4, 2018
Switzerland
The bike shop recommended this and did it for me on a new Levo, straight swap but they removed a chain link. It reduces chain slap in higher gears and is easier to engage a 50 rather than 52.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Officially, the 11-50 mech is incompatible with the 11-52 casette.

Here is a video covering the topic @ 6:04

Yes I think the mech changes a little between 10-50 and 10-52 but I am looking at the feasibility of using a X01 Eagle Mech/10-52 with a 10-50 cassette............so the other way around. Using a Mech designed for 10-50 may cause some issues trying to make it work with 10-52 because I think the cage was lengthened a little on the 10-52 Eagle mechs to cater for the 52 t sprocket.

I actually asked " Lovemtb" and he confirmed I could use a 10-50 cassette with appropriate B stop adjustment and it may possibly require one less chain link.

Regardless the issue for me is resolved because I have now found stock of the 10-52 cassette and have placed an order.

( my reason for wanting to get another cassette was that following fitting a new chain I was getting chain slip. I re- set all adjustments from scratch and did a proper test and found that the chain slip was in fact restricted to just one sprocket.....5th highest gear. I could just go back to the original chain which was working fine but had reached 0.5 wear.......... but that would risk wearing other sprockets and the chainwheel so I am going to just live with avoiding 5th gear. 4th and 6th are so close in terms of ratio it will make no difference to my ride, and that 5th gear may actually become useable again when the new chain wears a little. Meanwhile I will have a new cassette ready to swop out when needed.It suggests by default I tend to spend a lot of time in the middle of the cassette, specifically in 5th gear!! )

Giff

Subscriber
Oct 14, 2019
Cheshire UK
I need to change my XG Eagle 1275 10-52 shortly but absolutely nobody in the UK has stock. Avaialbility of the previous model ...the XG 1275 10-50 is however readilly available.

Dont think I have ever used the 52t so not worried a bout losing some low gear capability but my question is would using a 10-50 be a straight swop?................B stop adjustment would no doubt be required but I cannot think there would be any other difference.

Mech and shifter are X01.
Yes a straight swap if it had the XD fitting.....

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles