SRAM Vs Shimano drive chain

beanzz

Feb 7, 2023
United Kingdom
So I recently got my canyon Spectral on cf9, which comes with SRAM gx eagle axs.

I'm not particularly in love with the axs system, and I have much more experience with Shimano, so I was wondering if anyone has any opinion on whether I should just stick with SRAM and learn the system, or to sell the axs drivetrain and downgrade a bit and but a wired Shimano system

Stoneilove

Jan 27, 2023
England
So I recently got my canyon Spectral on cf9, which comes with SRAM gx eagle axs.

I'm not particularly in love with the axs system, and I have much more experience with Shimano, so I was wondering if anyone has any opinion on whether I should just stick with SRAM and learn the system, or to sell the axs drivetrain and downgrade a bit and but a wired Shimano system

I have the X01 Axs and absoultely love it, the micro tuning allows you to fine tune each gear perfectly, it has worked flawlessly for me and i used Shimano for 17 years before going to the darkside, id never consider going back to cables.

beanzz

Feb 7, 2023
United Kingdom
I have the X01 Axs and absoultely love it, the micro tuning allows you to fine tune each gear perfectly, it has worked flawlessly for me and i used Shimano for 17 years before going to the darkside, id never consider going back to cables.
I guess I have some tinkering ahead of me

Stoneilove

Jan 27, 2023
England
I guess I have some tinkering ahead of me
Shouldnt be too much to be fair, i spent around 15 mins micro tuning via the app whilst the bike was on a stand, only had to retune after around 30 miles of riding as i had a new chain and cassette at the same time so due to chain stretch had to make some small micro tunes on app and have been good ever since.

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
I am using a shimano di2 xt 11s on my sepctralon 2018, it was an easy plug and play job and has been working flawlessly for almost 2 years. It seems to me that shimano integration between motor and the new generation di2 will become the best solution for ebike drivetrain in a short time.

Stoneilove

Jan 27, 2023
England
I am using a shimano di2 xt 11s on my sepctralon 2018, it was an easy plug and play job and has been working flawlessly for almost 2 years. It seems to me that shimano integration between motor and the new generation di2 will become the best solution for ebike drivetrain in a short time.
I agree for those that like Shimano, but for those that find Axs to work flawlessly i dont see anything from Shimano that would make me switch back in the medium to long term future.

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
Running a mixed sram gx axs with shimano slx cassette, xt chain and am loving it.
I don't think there is a better combination for me personally. Slx is alot cheaper then xo1 en xx1 cassette and I can change the sprockets of the cassette individually when they skip without having to spend all the cash on a new cassette.

Best of both worlds imo

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
I agree for those that like Shimano, but for those that find Axs to work flawlessly i dont see anything from Shimano that would make me switch back in the medium to long term future.

Shimano XT/XTR guy for 35 yrs...then got AXS GX for a rare 20% off (upfront cost was a barrier) 1.5 yrs ago..."flawless" as you said and 💯 precision ever since on my 120 Nm motor! And I'm a heavier rider.

Bonus #1: I also stayed old school with HG driver-body on my Onxy hub, which is compatible with full-steel eagle NX cassette. I just bought two, both for $118 bucks to stock up. Total bike hack for an expensive drivetrain.

Bonus #2. NX 12spd chain, is ugly but robust, and under $35 cheap.

Still use XT on my other E-mtb but got to barrel adjust every couple of weeks to prevent impartial and slow analogue shifting... digital beats every time. 🤙

On motor-wired shifting...the mid-powered, lightweight Emtbs would be screwed if bike battery drains. Only twice, I forgot to recharge my AXS, sucks not to be able to shift in hilly terrain.😜

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
As per battery drain, I believe that what di2 drains, along a ride, would not move an ebike more than a few yards... I could keep shifting for hours after the motor power is dead, so this is not a problem.
Imagine a drivetrain that manages power cutting while shifting. That is an unbeatable advantage, and this is not a matter of manufacturer, be it shimano or sram. I ride different models of both brands and have amazing shifting skills, thanks to it.

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
As per battery drain, I believe that what di2 drains, along a ride, would not move an ebike more than a few yards... I could keep shifting for hours after the motor power is dead, so this is not a problem.
Imagine a drivetrain that manages power cutting while shifting. That is an unbeatable advantage, and this is not a matter of manufacturer, be it shimano or sram. I ride different models of both brands and have amazing shifting skills, thanks to it.
💯full-powered for sure. But the lighter powered bikes can run battery free due to super low or negliabe drag for power-off friction. The AXS should have the compartmentalized advantage on this category. Think Transition Relay with battery out as one of their main selling features to that consumer crowd.

Durrti

Aug 22, 2021
California
My riding group and I are all using AXS derailleur with Shimano drivetrain, SRAMano. It’s glorious, the buttery Shimano shifts with the AXS precision 10/10!

rzr

Sep 26, 2022
bcn
I'd switch it to Shimano 11s ( XT M8000 or SLX)
rear mech is waaaay smaller

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles