SRAM 220mm Rotor

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
I'm using front 220mm SRAM Centerline rotor for last 2,5kkm and definitely makes much less scream than 200mm but not completely immune. So about 1,5kkm ago I also replaced stock pads with Trickstuff 840 I can now tell screams are completely gone. Although this Trickstuff pads lasts only about 500km.
But there is one issue with these SRAM Centerline 220mm rotors, they tends to wobble quite a lot (when you are not pulling the brake) so they make occasional (maybe when wind blows in them from a side :alien:) rubbing/grinding noises against pads which is quite annoying. So if I will be buying 220mm rotors again I will be looking after something with more stable/robust center core ... I have tried Magura MDR-P for about 50km, they didn't wobble but they produced few cracks on breaking surface (I guess it was a bad batch) so I had to return them and I'm still stuck with Centrlines (even have 2 more spares ?).

thewrx

Sep 4, 2019
US
Sram rotors are just meh, no matter how big they are. A 2 piece rotor wont warp like the srams do either.

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
Hey mates, I want to upgrade my Guide RE with some 220 rotors and new pads.

I got a 27.5 Yari fork, can someone please tell me what adaptors, screws etc I need? It’s a bit messy for a no native english speaker all the info here.

Any suggestions for the pads and rotors? Many thanks!

salko

Aug 29, 2019
SLO
For bolts sizes check my post #16 here: SRAM 220mm Rotor - EMTB Forums
You will need +40 PM adapter, you can use Avid PM +40mm or Magura QM45. I bought Magura MDR-P 220mm rotor few months ago but it produced few tiny cracks on breaking surface within first 50km so I returned it and got a full refund. I guess it was a bad batch or something, but I'm now still stuck on SRAM Centerline 220mm rotor front and 200mm back, they work ok, just sometimes front one tend to wobble a bit and make a grinding noise against pads. Maybe I will soon try to buy another MDR-P rotor, hopefully I will have luck this time ... Regarding pads I tried original Avid metallic ones, Kool Stop organic ones (didn't like them on front, use them now on the back), TRICKSTUFF Brake Pads 840 POWER they work well but wear out super fast. I'm now back to the original Avid metallic ones, they cost about 10€ per pair and work well and give me reasonable durability.

Last edited:

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
Anyone else been around long enough to remember the few years (late 90s/early 00s) Fox and RS fork owners seemed to suffer tons from premature wear to their left stanchion's anodising and left leg bushings? Anyone also remember that it just happened to coincide with growing popularity for 203mm rotors on non DH bikes?
Both Fox and RS did eventually up their game and design more durable stiffer forks to deal with it though.
So there is that ;)

tabrat

Sep 29, 2019
Ventura CA
I just converted my front rotor on my 2019 S-Works from 200mm to 220mm. It took some research to get the conversion right so I wanted to share what I did.

220mm Rotor: SRAM CenterLine 220mm 6-bolt Disc Rotor with Rounded Edge

40mm Adapter: Avid/SRAM Disc 40mm Post-Mount Adaptor, Fits 200mm Front and 180mm Rear Rotors

The adapter converts the 180mm post mount on the fork to 220mm. The bike came with a 20mm adapter for the standard 200mm. If your fork is a 180mm post mount then the 40mm adapter will be the right size for the 220mm rotor.
The adapter comes with the screws to mount the itself to the fork but does not include the screws to mount the caliper to the adapter. I measured carefully and bought some M6-1.00 30mm stainless steel hex head cap screws. The size was perfect. The adapter threads were completely filled with screw without any excess.

On my first ride today I spent much of my time getting the rotor bedded in. After that the brake felt great. The brake is noticeably stronger and the bike is more in control on very steep descents. I expect it to get a bit stronger as it continues to bed in.

Recommended!

tabrat

Sep 29, 2019
Ventura CA
So I just finally switched over my SRAM Code brakes and drivetrain to Shimano XTR on a 2019 Turbo Levo. This is an absolutely huge difference in braking ability compared to SRAM Code and now you can shed speed faster and later into corners and with 1 finger with zero arm and hand fatigue. I am a big guy that goes fast on a heavy bike and after having both I can tell you for sure that all that modulation that people talk about is absolute rubbish. The Shimano difference is so wide and confidence inspiring I cannot believe people even compare the two in the same sentence. I also think that they have enough modulation for anyone. On SRAM I was looking to upgrade the discs from 200 to 220 but then just decided to switch Shimano XTR 9120 with 203 Ice tech and the power difference is significantly better. Then switched the shifter, derailleur and rear cassette to twelve speed, everything but the crank, to Shimano and I can tell you that Shimano blows away SRAM in all ways. Want to save a few bucks get XT. The bike is a whole new bike and way better IMO in all ways. After this back to back test of components on the same bike Shimano wins by a huge margin! No, I don’t work for Shimano.
I also thought the shock upgrade to DVO Onyx in front and Topaz in rear are significant changes. I love this bike now and at the beginning I could never get it to feel right.

Dirk74

Subscriber
Jun 6, 2020
Germany
For bolts sizes check my post #16 here: SRAM 220mm Rotor - EMTB Forums
In case you look for the SRAM (Avid) screws, search for EAN 710845714481.

It includes the screws (standard length to mount the caliper to the adapter, not bolt through the adapter to the fork mount) and cone washers for the CPS mount system, that are required for the Guide RE (because it's has the old pre 2017 Code caliper) and also screws for non CPS mount.

Take care to mount the cone washers right.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
What are you wanting to know?
Well I use the 223 Galfer with Uber E-Matrix pads on the Guide RE's - work well enough though I do find I get a bit of squeal from time time thats hard to pin down the cause of. If I wasn't a tight arse I would try the trick stuff pads

Last edited:

jsharpe

May 15, 2019
USA
Advice for a rotor pads combo to improve Guide RE ... (y)

@salko thanks a lot amigo!
I've been running Disco Brakes kevlar formula with the 220 MDR on the front all summer on my Guide RE's. I had originally wanted to try the Uber pads but couldn't find a US distributor. However, for my particular trails, weight, and riding style (dry, XC rather than downhill but with lots of steep and sometimes long decents) I'm very happy with this combination. It's much quieter than the OEM pads with great power and modulation. When I first got the bike, a 2020 Levo Comp, I had assumed that I would need to swap out the brakes to get something I liked but now I see no need.

Dee Scee

Dec 21, 2018
Berkeley
Great discussion you guys. My situation is a little bit different. I have a 2017 Levo and my posts in front and in the rear are already 40mm. my buddy with a 2017 did his front but they sent him some janky looking spacers they are SRAM, but it looks terrible. I'm trying to go from stock 200mm rotors to 220mm.

IMG_8736.JPG.jpeg

Resized_20201215_074509.jpeg

Last edited:

salko

Aug 29, 2019
SLO
Great discussion you guys. My situation is a little bit different. I have a 2017 Levo and my posts in front and in the rear are already 40mm. my buddy with a 2017 did his front but they sent him some janky looking spacers they are SRAM, but it looks terrible. I'm trying to go from stock 200mm rotors to 220mm.

View attachment 48372

View attachment 48373
Looks like your fork have 160mm PM caliper mounts, so with +40mm PM adapter you can have max. 200mm rotors. I would strongly advise against mounting 220mm rotor on such fork. The last picture is somewhat shocking, I don't see the point having 220mm rotor with such a bad and dangerous caliper mount setup.

salko

Aug 29, 2019
SLO
Rear mount should be 180mm PM so going to 220mm you'll need +40mm PM adapter. However some sites with Kenevo SL frame specifications says 203mm rotor is max on rear end ...

mmcaleer

Sep 30, 2022
Texas
I performed my rotor upgrade this week. I have a 22/23 Turbo Levo Comp Carbon. I used the Magura MDR-P 220mm two piece rotor, Magura QM45 mount adapter and MTX Gold brake pads. To mount the caliper to the QM45 I used two M6-1 x 25mm Socket Head Cap Screws from Lowes.
IMG_7469.jpg
IMG_7470.jpg

Levo Laland

Nov 27, 2019
Surrey UK
I'm looking to do this upgrade on my 2021 Kenevo using the stock Bomber Z1 fork. I've ordered a Sram Centreline 220mm rotor and a Hope HBMMN Mount M adaptor which fits: Postmount 160mm frame/fork for 200mm rotor + 180mm frame/fork for 220mm rotor which comes with 2 x M6 20mm bolts. Will upload pictures when the conversion is done.

xiaochew

Feb 8, 2023
Singapore
hi guys any hayes dominion a4 brake mount adapter for 220mm rotor . can advise me where to order. can't find on my site . pls help. tks

Rangerfav15

Apr 30, 2023
Utah
I just converted my front rotor on my 2019 S-Works from 200mm to 220mm. It took some research to get the conversion right so I wanted to share what I did.

220mm Rotor: SRAM CenterLine 220mm 6-bolt Disc Rotor with Rounded Edge

40mm Adapter: Avid/SRAM Disc 40mm Post-Mount Adaptor, Fits 200mm Front and 180mm Rear Rotors

The adapter converts the 180mm post mount on the fork to 220mm. The bike came with a 20mm adapter for the standard 200mm. If your fork is a 180mm post mount then the 40mm adapter will be the right size for the 220mm rotor.
The adapter comes with the screws to mount the itself to the fork but does not include the screws to mount the caliper to the adapter. I measured carefully and bought some M6-1.00 30mm stainless steel hex head cap screws. The size was perfect. The adapter threads were completely filled with screw without any excess.

On my first ride today I spent much of my time getting the rotor bedded in. After that the brake felt great. The brake is noticeably stronger and the bike is more in control on very steep descents. I expect it to get a bit stronger as it continues to bed in.

Recommended!
Do you know if this will work on my stumpjumper’s Sram code rs? Its comes with 200mm and idk what j need to bug for a 220mm rotor to work?

eTrax

Oct 17, 2019
USA - West Coast
One thing to keep in mind when mixing matching rotors that never gets mentioned is the friction ring size.

Magura typically has a 16mm (height of pad) so other brands caliper pads will work well.

SRAM typically has 14mm friction ring, so if your running this with a Magura or Hayes caliper/pads your not getting the full pad onto the friction ring and this can lead to noise and lost power.

You wont visually notice this as the top leading edge will match the rotor edge but the bottom edge wont be on the friction ring. The bottom of pad will get worn away as the rotor spoke passes through the pad.

Something to consider.

If your not happy with your pads check out the TF Braking ceramic semi-metallic compounds for some excellent performance pad alternatives, powerful and quiet.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles