• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

Speedbox 3 not working with latest Bosch upgrade

Jsibby

Mar 6, 2021
Chichester
Hello
Please can you help.
I have a Cube Stereo with a Bosch Performance Line CX Gen 4 motor with a Kiox controller.
I have been running with a Speedbox 3 for 2 years and I have been very happy with it. I recently got a number of errors 503, 513 and 510, so I took it into my local bike shop.
They ran the diagnostics, no errors were shown - strange. But I elected to have it upgraded to the latest SW.
It has been upgraded as follows
Kiox is now v 4.0.4.0
Battery is v 1.1.1.0.0
The motor is the same on v 1.1.5.0
The Speedbox 3 no longer works, the Kiox does not register any speed or battery reading, Pressing the Walk button then + has no effect.

Is there a resolution to this, I am missing the Speedbox.

Jsibby

Mar 6, 2021
Chichester
Thanks for your response.
I asked the dealer if he could wind back to the previous version of the Kiox software, he tells this is not available on Bosch motors.
You say "but it is looking like any dongle that is wired to these motors and displays the days" why would displaying the days be the issue to them not working?
Do you think it is worth trying the BadAss dongle as it appears to work differently to the Speedbox. It seems that it is not hard wired to the motor, but I think changes the output on the cadence sensor.

Jsibby

Mar 6, 2021
Chichester
Well I might have found the issue, the Cube Stereo, has a plastic sump guard, which protects the bottom of the motor, in theory it has a drain plug, but when I took it off it was full of mud and detritus - not good. so cleaned it all up, all the engine/speedbox connectors were corroded. Took all of them off, cleaned it all up and put it back together. Lo and behold - it is all working properly again - so far. I now need to go on a long muddy ride. The South Downs Way next weekend might do?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles