• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

Speedbox 3 and Bosch Gen4 after update to 1.04

Broke

Apr 14, 2020
Slovakia
Is this working together? I asked my local dealer and he told me, that after 15 minutes motor shuts down when riding with speedbox 3.0 over 25 km/h after an update to 1.04. Is this true? Does anyone of you already have this new update installed and uses speedbox 3?

jobridder

Apr 27, 2020
USA
Is this working together? I asked my local dealer and he told me, that after 15 minutes motor shuts down when riding with speedbox 3.0 over 25 km/h after an update to 1.04. Is this true? Does anyone of you already have this new update installed and uses speedbox 3?
may I ask where do you get this 1.0.4.0 software info from? Bosch does not claim anything on their website regarding this - Software updates

rymas

Jun 14, 2020
Poland
New version 1.1.0.0 is available for 4gen?

Screenshot_20200707-173413_Opera.jpg

Daniel H

Jul 8, 2020
Denmark
I'm new here. But i wanted to tell that I got the 504 error on a Performance CX MY20 FW 1.0.2.0 yesterday.
I have a Badass box 4 installed, and drove with it for about 50-60 KM before the error occured.

I made a choice to let the shop update the software to 1.1.0.0 today (the 85Nm update). I can tell the difference in torque, when your trying to start in a gear "too high". The motor is better at "pulling away" even in a higher gear. But besides that, I can't tell any difference at all.

The badass box is mounted again, and a quick trip around my neighbourhood gave zero problems. But then again - the error can turn up after 10 mins or 1000KM. No promises at all.

I'll make a update at the end of the week (or sooner if I end up getting the 504 error again).

I know this topic is about Speedbox - but hope it's alright that i gave my experience.

Last edited:

Daniel H

Jul 8, 2020
Denmark
I promised an update and here it is - better late than never.
My time last week has only allowed me to ride to/from work - a total of about 60KM. But I have had zero problems with the new update together with the badass box.

Hope it remains this way. :)

Broke

Apr 14, 2020
Slovakia
I've had the 85Nm update on my Bosch Gen 4 2020 motor. I've installed a speed box 3.0 and its working fine but I've only done 10 km. I'll keep you posted.
Keep us informed please. I already installed speedbox 3, but im waiting with update.

Darren66

Mar 7, 2020
uk
I said I wouldn't get the update yet, as it hasn't been proven to be problem free with the Speedbox 3.0 over a longer period (500+ miles) but I couldn't help myself...
Currently at my LBS having it done, I figured if there is a problem with Speedbox 3.0, it won't be long before they sort out any issues and bring out an updated version, or I could try a Volspeed v3?
Anyway, if I do or hopefully don't have any issues, I'll report back...

Darren66

Mar 7, 2020
uk
Brief update.
Now updated to 1.1.0.0, interestingly my bike didn't have Emtb mode before and it doesn't now, which means it's not required for latest update and I prefer to choose which mode I'm in as opposed to letting Emtb mode decide.
Also, my bike has had a Speedbox 3.0 fitted since new (850+ miles) and the diagnostic readout didn't notice anything, I did remove it for the update and I'm now going to reinstall, fingers crossed...

Last edited:

Darren66

Mar 7, 2020
uk
Brief update.
Now updated to 1.4.0.0, interestingly my bike didn't have Emtb mode before and it doesn't now, which means it's not required for latest update and I prefer to choose which mode I'm in as opposed to letting Emtb mode decide.
Also, my bike has had a Speedbox 3.0 fitted since new (850+ miles) and the diagnostic readout didn't notice anything, I did remove it for the update and I'm now going to reinstall, fingers crossed...
Did 20 miles this afternoon, no problems but early days...

Magnum

Jul 23, 2020
Sweden
I'm new here. But i wanted to tell that I got the 504 error on a Performance CX MY20 FW 1.0.2.0 yesterday.
I have a Badass box 4 installed, and drove with it for about 50-60 KM before the error occured.

I made a choice to let the shop update the software to 1.1.0.0 today (the 85Nm update). I can tell the difference in torque, when your trying to start in a gear "too high". The motor is better at "pulling away" even in a higher gear. But besides that, I can't tell any difference at all.

The badass box is mounted again, and a quick trip around my neighbourhood gave zero problems. But then again - the error can turn up after 10 mins or 1000KM. No promises at all.

I'll make a update at the end of the week (or sooner if I end up getting the 504 error again).

I know this topic is about Speedbox - but hope it's alright that i gave my experience.
I promised an update and here it is - better late than never.
My time last week has only allowed me to ride to/from work - a total of about 60KM. But I have had zero problems with the new update together with the badass box.

Hope it remains this way. :)
Daniel, please keep us updated. Does the dongle still work with version 1.1.0.0 or did you get the dreaded 504 ERROR? Thank you.

Darren66

Mar 7, 2020
uk
I've now got a Volspeed V3 on my other bike, this has also had the latest update, completed 20+ miles today no problem.
What I do find is the Volspeed V3 isn't as user friendly as the Speedbox 3.0, the Volspeed isn't as easy to set up as the Speedbox or as easy to activate/deactivate, as the Speedbox needs only a press of the "walk" button to switch on/off, whereas the Volspeed needs the minus button to be pressed for more than 3 seconds, which also means you're scrolling through the trip and odometer settings, but this is on the Purion display, it may be different on others?
The major advantage of the Volspeed is the lack of countdown when stationary, this has caught me out a few times with the Speedbox, when coming to a stop at lights or junction after a stint of more than 15mph ;) the Speedbox starts it's countdown which means when you set off again, there is a 1-2 second delay before the motor kicks in, feels like you're pulling off in in gear 8 or 9! this obviously doesn't happen with the Volspeed but I still can't get my head around the range estimation that it displays when activated.

Darren66

Mar 7, 2020
uk
I've now got a Volspeed V3 on my other bike, this has also had the latest update, completed 20+ miles today no problem.
What I do find is the Volspeed V3 isn't as user friendly as the Speedbox 3.0, the Volspeed isn't as easy to set up as the Speedbox or as easy to activate/deactivate, as the Speedbox needs only a press of the "walk" button to switch on/off, whereas the Volspeed needs the minus button to be pressed for more than 3 seconds, which also means you're scrolling through the trip and odometer settings, but this is on the Purion display, it may be different on others?
The major advantage of the Volspeed is the lack of countdown when stationary, this has caught me out a few times with the Speedbox, when coming to a stop at lights or junction after a stint of more than 15mph ;) the Speedbox starts it's countdown which means when you set off again, there is a 1-2 second delay before the motor kicks in, feels like you're pulling off in in gear 8 or 9! this obviously doesn't happen with the Volspeed but I still can't get my head around the range estimation that it displays when activated.
Speaking to George (eBiketuner.com) the Volspeed is designed to display in Kph not mph, so I'll just ignore the range estimation when activated and rely on the battery meter.

Feb 2, 2020
Dorset
I'd have to disagree with you about it being less user friendly. You have complete control of the max speed once setup and you literally press one button to switch it on. Add to this no countdown and it's a no brainer ?

Darren66

Mar 7, 2020
uk
I'd have to disagree with you about it being less user friendly. You have complete control of the max speed once setup and you literally press one button to switch it on. Add to this no countdown and it's a no brainer ?
In the short time I've used it (20 miles compared to 800+ on the Speedbox) it does everything it's designed to do and the fact there's no countdown to catch you out at traffic lights, junctions...etc, is a bonus. The main issue I have compared to the Speedbox is the fact you have to use the minus button to activate/deactivate it, which is also used to change modes and scroll through the trip, range and odometer, this is not too bad if activating before setting off but more of a pain if trying to do it on the fly, as you need to press the minus button another 3-4 times after activating, in order to get back to the desired mode/range/odometer setting (this is on a Purion, it may be different on others) whereas the Speedbox uses the walk button which has that one and only function, maybe Speedbox has some copyright on this functionality, which is why Volspeed didn't do it? as it makes at lot more sense to do so.
In action, the Volspeed is every bit as good as the Speedbox and better in the respect of the lack of countdown, I'm yet to achieve the maximum speed I've set, so can't comment on the dynamic mode...
I won’t be getting rid of my Speedbox in favour of another Volspeed, they both have their advantages/disadvantages, both are very good at what they do, neither is a clear winner!
If the Volspeed was £20-30 cheaper than the Speedbox, that would make it a no brainer.

Darren66

Mar 7, 2020
uk
Hi, I've just had the upgrade to 1.1.0.0 but I've lost EMTB and gained SPORT on my settings, did this happen to you?
I didn't have Emtb mode before the update and that remained the same after, the dealer can change this for you if required. I prefer being able to choose which mode I want, instead of letting the motor decide.

Fuzz

Jun 2, 2020
Yarrahapinni, NSW, Australia
I didn't have Emtb mode before the update and that remained the same after, the dealer can change this for you if required. I prefer being able to choose which mode I want, instead of letting the motor decide.
no worries, thanks for your reply, dealer just didn't bother to check with me, and I didn't think to look..annoying, as it's a 950 km round trip to see them... I like the idea of the extended boost function in EMTB for technical situations, cheers

Fuzz

Jun 2, 2020
Yarrahapinni, NSW, Australia
no worries, thanks for your reply, dealer just didn't bother to check with me, and I didn't think to look..annoying, as it's a 950 km round trip to see them... I like the idea of the extended boost function in EMTB for technical situations, cheers
Also, in the reading I've done, the Volspeed range indicator fluctuates between range, and battery percentage. It's thrown a couple of people before they had realised..

Darren66

Mar 7, 2020
uk
Also, in the reading I've done, the Volspeed range indicator fluctuates between range, and battery percentage. It's thrown a couple of people before they had realised..
Yes, the range estimation is a bit hit or miss but no worse than it is when not activated, I tend to just keep an eye on the battery meter.

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
Got the 504 yesterday .
To the LBS today . Expecting firmware update at no extra charge . Wish me luck .

I will report re Speed Box 3 after I re install it ...

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
Updated .
Removed the Speed Box for LBS visit .
Tried to charge a work shop fee . I said no . It`s a fault in the firm ware . That is a warranty issue . I won`t be paying .
Was asked if I had tried to make go faster when I returned to collect my bike . I said no . I explained 504 is a common false positive .

Re attached Speed Box . Too late by the time I got home to test ride . Checked limit read 99 / 25 when I hit the walk button .

I will test tomorrow and report back . Fingers crossed ...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles