Spectral:ON 630Wh external Battery (BT-E8016) upgrade possible?

norrit

Aug 11, 2020
Austria
have any of you already seen the new, 630Wh external battery?

Maybe it is possible to replace the battery holder (BM-E8016) so that the BT-E8016 fits into the Spectral: ON frame?

1598261529682.png

1598261549796.png

"....
As well as the two downtube integrated options, the new 630Wh BT-E8016 becomes our largest external battery,
coming with a new fitting port, the BM-E8016 battery mount.

To upgrade from a current 504Wh BT-E8010 external battery to the 630Wh BT-E8016 external battery you need to
change the current battery mount to the new BM-E8016 battery mount.
This is because the 630Wh battery requires a reinforced battery holder to accommodate the change in its physical size.
You can contact your local dealer for more information
..."

I already asked Canyon, but no answer ...

FSEngineer

Jul 14, 2020
Kent
I would be VERY surprised if that would fit in the Spectral:ON frame, as the area for the battery is very tight width-wise and the new 630Wh BT-E8016 battery is significantly wider than the BT-E8010

FSEngineer

Jul 14, 2020
Kent
hasn't the 8016 just got fatter??? Thought the length was pretty much the same.
Reading between the lines in the Shimano literature I think you're right, but the problem is on the aluminium-framed Canyon bikes there's a structural part of the frame that the battery sits hard up against on the right hand side. On that basis if it's more than about 1mm wider than the BT-E8010 it won't fit

Timochka69

Jan 31, 2018
Helsinki
I am pretty sure it can be done, if I have time at business hours I'll try asking Canyon also as this is something that interests me as well. Maybe I'll shoot a question about motor upgrades too. Not holding my breath waiting for the answers though.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
My impression is that its taller, not wider, so you may be in luck - I have one preordered thats supposed to turn up sometime in late September, but I wouldnt be surprised if it turns up later than that.

Oct 22, 2020
California
i have ordered BT-E8016 and BM-E8016 today ... hope they go with my Spectral:ON ✌
Right on.

My bike isn't a Canyon but I actually installed the 604Wh battery yesterday. IMO the new mounts (BM-E8016) are optional. Check it out: Shimano release new 630Wh batteries - EMTB Forums

If you get around to it, I'm curious if the battery fits the Canyon Spectral:ON. Also post pics if you can, I think those e-mtbs are really sick.

Last edited:

norrit

Aug 11, 2020
Austria
i have some good news,
the external 630Wh battery fits into the Spectral:ON without any problems.
I had to change the battery holder because the nose of the old holder was too big for the new battery.

The new bracket is now partly made of metal, this was probably necessary because the 630Wh battery is 1kg heavier.
The 504Wh battery also fits into the new holder, can now drive very long tours with 1134Wh ;-)

norrit

Aug 11, 2020
Austria
The conversion was a bit tricky, because you have to loosen the engine mount (remove 4 screws and loosen 2 screws) in order to be able to pass the cable of the new bracket behind engine.
The engine screws are partially covered by the swing arm and the chainring, so you also have to remove the rear axle ... that took me a lot of time because I made a mistake while assembling it and had to start all over again ;-)

Last edited:

FSEngineer

Jul 14, 2020
Kent
Well that's very interesting news, thanks for the update! How does the extra 1kg affect the handling, if you've had a chance to ride it yet?

norrit

Aug 11, 2020
Austria
Well that's very interesting news, thanks for the update! How does the extra 1kg affect the handling, if you've had a chance to ride it yet?
to be honest, I didn't notice any difference ... I don't think 1kg more weight at the center will have a negative impact on driving behavior either and it seems to be only 0,64 kg more weight

1605777460937.png

Last edited:

maurocif

Nov 3, 2020
Rome
Thank you for these good news!
Regarding this aspect:
"I had to change the battery holder because the nose of the old holder was too big for the new battery"
did you consider the option to mod the old battery holder as BikeTrailsAndWaggingTails did (pls. see the "Simano release new 630Wh batteries" post)?

norrit

Aug 11, 2020
Austria
Thank you for these good news!
Regarding this aspect:
"I had to change the battery holder because the nose of the old holder was too big for the new battery"
did you consider the option to mod the old battery holder as BikeTrailsAndWaggingTails did (pls. see the "Simano release new 630Wh batteries" post)?

I wasn't sure, but I also thought it would work ... if I had seen the post, I would have tried it too ;-)
the only difference is, the new lower Holder partly made of metal and therefore more stable

1605777289408.png

Last edited:

gofrank

Jun 14, 2019
palermo
[QUOTE = "norrit, post: 223118, membro: 11563"]
oggi ho ordinato BT-E8016 e BM-E8016 ... spero che vadano con il mio Spectral: ON ✌
[/CITAZIONE]

ciao posso sapere che lunghezza di bt-e 8016 hai preso?

norrit

Aug 11, 2020
Austria
[QUOTE = "norrit, post: 223118, membro: 11563"]
oggi ho ordinato BT-E8016 e BM-E8016 ... spero che vadano con il mio Spectral: ON ✌
[/CITAZIONE]

ciao posso sapere che lunghezza di bt-e 8016 hai preso?

length is same BT-E8010

more information here:

fmgaspar

Dec 10, 2020
Portugal
Norrit, can I ask you two small favours? Can you let us know your frame size please and post a picture of the bike with each of the batteries on, old and new? Or at least with the new?
I'm very tempted to do the same, but my bike is a size S and, from the measurements on the other thread which has been talked about here, it's probably going to be a very tight fit... I might have to turn the shock round and the adjusters on the back.
I'd probably go for the new battery mount as you did though, I don't mind the extra work and I think I'll feel safer with the support for the heavier battery.
Cheers!

gofrank

Jun 14, 2019
palermo
salve ragazzi, ecco il mio spettrale con la batteria 630 wah ho fatto la modifica in 5 minuti tagliando un pin dal vecchio portabatteria confermo che non ci sono problemi con la vecchia batteria 504 wah quindi potete usarli entrambi.
Devi togliere il porta borraccia e usare il mono originale ho dovuto togliere quello con il piggy back perchè la batteria è più grande

Immagine WhatsApp 2020-11-26 alle 19.37.20.jpeg

Immagine WhatsApp 2020-11-26 alle 19.37.28.jpeg

fmgaspar

Dec 10, 2020
Portugal
salve ragazzi, ecco il mio spettrale con la batteria 630 wah ho fatto la modifica in 5 minuti tagliando un pin dal vecchio portabatteria confermo che non ci sono problemi con la vecchia batteria 504 wah quindi potete usarli entrambi.
Devi togliere il porta borraccia e usare il mono originale ho dovuto togliere quello con il piggy back perchè la batteria è più grande

View attachment 46843

View attachment 46844
Thanks for the pictures Gofrank.

What Size is your bike?

Freebert

Feb 4, 2019
Kasterlee/Belgium
So glad someone tried it in their spectral:On, because the answer I got from Spectral-Belgium was that it was NOT possible in this frame to place the new battery. So if I understand correctly: the new 630Wh battery just slides in the old holders when you remove just one tab from the battery?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles