Specialized Turbo ride with Dominik Geyer, Product Manager for Turbo and VJ Varada, Turbo Lead, SE Asia.

jwrx

Jul 22, 2018
Malaysia
The lead Turbo Manager was on a SE Asia tour, so the local rep organized a ride with a bunch of the local levo/kenevo riders. Managed to have awesome chat with Dominik about all things ebike.

Long conversations, so stuff i remember

I asked if Spez was going the route of Zesty, smaller battery/smaller motor, and he was very evasive but replied that "Wait for it, Specialized will not dissapoint"

We discussed alot of things, especially the needs of SE Asian riders which are very different from Europe (bigger battery, more power)- we asians need smaller battery, along with long suspension travel (shorter rides, but gnarly terrain), Sub 18kg would be perfect

He understands the need for coverplate/faceplate for travel with the levo without batteries, as well as the potential for battery rental overseas

There will be no integration in forseeable future between AXS systems to run on levo battery

Europe Specialized sales is now 60% ebikes....within a few years, the haters will be super minority, and most new bike sales will be ebikes

As a swiss, he doesnt understand the hate at all...cos his normal ride is 1200m elavation minimum...which would be heck lot more fun with a ebike

Interview with Dominik

55711686_2208028492859798_5655354764888637440_o.jpg

55882435_2208028369526477_4985667276364578816_o.jpg

55704732_2208028919526422_1576524482514780160_o.jpg

Last edited:

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
The lead Turbo Manager was on a SE Asia tour, so the local rep organized a ride with a bunch of the local levo/kenevo riders. Managed to have awesome chat with Dominik about all things ebike.

Long conversations, so stuff i remember

I asked if Spez was going the route of Zesty, smaller battery/smaller motor, and he was very evasive but replied that "Wait for it, Specialized will not dissapoint"

We discussed alot of things, especially the needs of SE Asian riders which are very different from Europe (bigger battery, more power)- we asians need smaller battery, along with long suspension travel (shorter rides, but gnarly terrain), Sub 18kg would be perfect

He understands the need for coverplate/faceplate for travel with the levo without batteries, as well as the potential for battery rental overseas

There will be no integration in forseeable future between AXS systems to run on levo battery

Europe Specialized sales is now 60% ebikes....within a few years, the haters will be super minority, and most new bike sales will be ebikes

As a swiss, he doesnt understand the hate at all...cos his normal ride is 1200m elavation minimum...which would be heck lot more fun with a ebike

Interview with Dominik

View attachment 12517
View attachment 12516
View attachment 12518
Too bad you didn’t get to ride with Marco Sonderegger, I used to work with at Specialized. He’s the smartest guy I ever met and he shreds on the bike

jwrx

Jul 22, 2018
Malaysia
Too bad you didn’t get to ride with Marco Sonderegger, I used to work with at Specialized. He’s the smartest guy I ever met and he shreds on the bike

Dominik was a superb rider as well...he was sick, riding a loaner bike, on trails he has never done before...and he kept up with the fastest of us.

Indigo

Oct 6, 2018
Brisbane, Australia
The lead Turbo Manager was on a SE Asia tour...

Interview with Dominik
I think the most interesting part of that video interview with Dominik Geyer (Head of Brand-Turbo, from Switzerland) is here @ 25:38, where he shows a slide from PowerPoint presentation on his laptop about the "air-vent cooling technology" of Specialized Vado (urban electric bicycle), while talking about the importance of managing motor temperature.

That video is a year old. Was the 2019 Turbo Levo designed with air-vent cooling? Hence the opening at back of motor casing?

Maxi J

Oct 27, 2021
Bali
Hey guys @jwrx @Al Boneta
Do you guys have any contact details for these people?
I'm in SE Asia and to be honest, I can't get a hold of anyone to help me with a faulty battery for my Kenevo 2021 for 3 month now.
Would love any direction or connections you have
Thanks

jwrx

Jul 22, 2018
Malaysia
Hey guys @jwrx @Al Boneta
Do you guys have any contact details for these people?
I'm in SE Asia and to be honest, I can't get a hold of anyone to help me with a faulty battery for my Kenevo 2021 for 3 month now.
Would love any direction or connections you have
Thanks
Which part of SEA. Both Malaysia and Singapore have official Spez shops that would be able to help you

Maxi J

Oct 27, 2021
Bali
then you are out of luck. Indonesia no presence, they buy their ebikes from Msia.
This is the challenge I'm having @jwrx ... Would you recommend I call Malaysia or Singapore and see if they can help me directly?
I thought Specialized would support me no matter where I was in the world, as there are Specialized dealerships in Bali and Jakarta, that's who the bike is with and who did the test on the battery with the official software, and told me it's faulty and I need to organise a warrantee. Only thing is that they cant seem to help.
Or would you recommend I go back to the Hungary dealer instead?
Thanks for your insights 🙏🏽

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles