Specialized Levo turbo to powerful for Sram cassettes

Cormo

Jan 18, 2023
Nederland
Just my displeasure. Three months young and two cassettes worn out firstly a Sram 12 speed GX and secondly XX1 12speed. Completely done with it. they wear out on the two smallest sprockets. Now I heard that they have a special emtb group at Sram. hopefully that's something.

Cormo

Jan 18, 2023
Nederland
I now have a larger front chainring 36T so that I am closer to the fourth cog more in the middle. That's better only that way I can compensate for everything.

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
Just my displeasure. Three months young and two cassettes worn out firstly a Sram 12 speed GX and secondly XX1 12speed. Completely done with it. they wear out on the two smallest sprockets. Now I heard that they have a special emtb group at Sram. hopefully that's something.
I've got the the sram emtb group on my hardtail. Apart from the cassette being overpriced, It's alot more durable but if you put full power on the small cogs it will wear out fast to. Those cogs are replaceable

On my fully I've got a mix of sram gx axs and an slx cassette where I can change those small cogs as soon as they start skipping. That's a cheaper alternative the the sram ex1

Cormo

Jan 18, 2023
Nederland
okay thank you for your advice I'm going to drive the Xx1 first. Then I buy SRAM EX1 XG-899 E-Block™ 8-speed e-bike cassette especially for ebike, but then also need a different derailleur (ex1 8‑speed x‑horizon). They made the 8 group 11-48 thicker steel and thicker chain I'm curious.

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
okay thank you for your advice I'm going to drive the Xx1 first. Then I buy SRAM EX1 XG-899 E-Block™ 8-speed e-bike cassette especially for ebike, but then also need a different derailleur (ex1 8‑speed x‑horizon). They made the 8 group 11-48 thicker steel and thicker chain I'm curious.
On the ex1 group I've done around 7000 km, that with is 3 chains and 4 sprocketsets.

The biggest downside of it is in the middle of the cassette there is a pretty big jump that is not that pleasant.
I don't think I would buy the ex1 group again.

You probably better and cheaper with shimano linkglide

Mounty80

May 29, 2022
Auckland, New Zealand
Yeah watch the cadence and the type of chain you're using may also be a factor. I've just got a SRAM X01 chain to replace the GX Eagle one which came standard on my Rail 9. Apparently it's a much better option and will hopefully preserve the life of the GX cassette.

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
Xd is expensive. I swapped to a Shimano hg driver and 11 speed. £50 for an slx cassette and the small cogs are replaceable.

rzr

Sep 26, 2022
bcn
I now have a larger front chainring 36T so that I am closer to the fourth cog more in the middle. That's better only that way I can compensate for everything.
with 36t chainring and 10-12t at the back, sounds like you are constantly riding at 30-45km/h !! did you deristrict your motor? (or use other system to go above 25km/h)

Litehiker

Nov 23, 2022
Las Vegas, NV
Back in the '80s and '90s when I raced my Canondale I always tried to stay in the 90 RPM cadence range to save my knees as well as be most efficient. I still ride that way on my city e-bike and will do so when I take delivery on my e-mtb next month.
My physical "battery" needs to be efficient too.

Cormo

Jan 18, 2023
Nederland
with 36t chainring and 10-12t at the back, sounds like you are constantly riding at 30-45km/h !! did you deristrict your motor? (or use other system to go above 25km/h)
no no the top in the woods is above 25 to 32 km without climbing of course. And yes it is tuned.

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
Then your chainring isn't big enough.
My bosch is also tuned but I use a 38t and find myself using more of the cassette

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
It really depends on how & where you ride. I only ever really use 3 gears. The 2 biggest cogs (46 & 37) to get me to the top of the bikepark & the 13t to get me going from the start ramp.
The front is a 34.
The 2 biggest will never slip due to the amount of chain engagement. The 13 slips when I replace the chain, even at the .5 wear.
But now with shimano I can replace the 13t at the same time as replacing the chain.
Well I would do, but just bought 2 new microshift cassettes for £15 each in the last crc sale, which isnt much more than buying an individual 13t cog.

maynard

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
I had similar problems. Early on . I now change to eco for gear change also back of power . And don't change gears on inclines . Try select gears before hill . Also keep chain clean . Too much lube does more damage than good . It's all a learning curve . My first cassette I destroyed very quickly . 2nd maybe 400kms . 3rd 1000 4th 15000 kms .I've done over 5000kms now on my levo and have replaced a few things . Ur rear hub is probably gonna go next . So yeah I have more mechanical sympathy now . I think 10 spd is great for long-term . But I love the 12 spd electric gears . I don't love buying new xd cassette though . Keep the faith and chug on de restricted bro .

Cormo

Jan 18, 2023
Nederland
It really depends on how & where you ride. I only ever really use 3 gears. The 2 biggest cogs (46 & 37) to get me to the top of the bikepark & the 13t to get me going from the start ramp.
The front is a 34.
The 2 biggest will never slip due to the amount of chain engagement. The 13 slips when I replace the chain, even at the .5 wear.
But now with shimano I can replace the 13t at the same time as replacing the chain.
Well I would do, but just bought 2 new microshift cassettes for £15 each in the last crc sale, which isnt much more than buying an individual 13t cog.
I'm already driving more with 3 and 4 sprockets because of the 36t front chainring and it's going well. Thanks

Konanige

Feb 29, 2020
Mendips
If I bought a full power eeb with twelve speed on it I would swap it straight out for ten speed it was never designed for that sort of torque

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
everyone talks a bout lubing the chain..............in fact it needs very little and it is not lack of lube that wears it out. Cleaning the chain is far more important.

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
everyone talks a bout lubing the chain..............in fact it needs very little and it is not lack of lube that wears it out. Cleaning the chain is far more important.
Also I've read alot about those lubes on zerofrictioncyclings website.
Apparently allmost all wet lube stuff is the worst you can use, as it wears the chainand cassette at a double rate.

Chains also matter with xx1 being the most durable followed by xtr.

Stoneilove

Jan 27, 2023
England
I have the same xx01 Cassette, over 400 miles to date and not a single issue, I'd advise using the gears a little more, oh and mine is chipped too so hitting 30 mph+ does not effect wear in the slightest.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles