Specialized Levo Sizing Questions and 2019 Models

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
This actually is a bit confusing, but you're right, you said 6in from the pedals seat up. See, it was a misunderstanding. I would have apologized, but after reading all of this I guess it won't be nesessary.

Last edited:

Ryder

Apr 24, 2018
UK
OK so according to the Specialized figures for a med Levo. Seat tube is 435mm. Cranks are 175mm I assume and dropper is 150mm I assume. That is 76cm or 30" with the seat post fully inserted and fully extended. Even allowing an inch for the dropper collat your feet should at least be in the vicinity of the pedals with the dropper fully extended. Only thing I can think is it was not a medium or the dropper was not fully inserted into the seat tube.

Edit, forgot to add the saddle so another inch or 2 at most. Looking in more detail though it seems to be a 125mm dropper so even with the saddle I would think 31" at most.

Last edited:

Gogogordo

May 10, 2018
San Francisco
Silly post for sure but, I must ask, why are you getting a carbon frame when theres a motor attached to it?
You could save a bundle by getting a aluminum frame.
Just asking.
Good luck in your quest!
I will not be participating in this thread anymore...

Matp

Feb 6, 2018
Harrogate
Don't buy it online. These bikes go wrong and when they do you need a bike shop near to you that will deal effectively with your problems. Speaking from experience.

MartinW148

May 30, 2018
Essex, England
I'm pretty much exactly the same height and leg length as you.

I have tried a medium Levo with the dropper post fully inserted into the frame and with the dropper fully extended, I feel my leg extended a tiny bit too much. With the dropper fully down I don't think (can't officially remember) I had both feet on the floor, but definitely one foot flat on the floor with the other pedal at three o'clock.

I currently run a non e-mtb with a 17" frame and no dropper which I'm fine with, so I'm loathed to go down to a small frame as my reach etc, on the medium is fine, worst case I think a smaller dropper on the medium frame.

Ultimately if the bike doesn't fit you, a few weeks wait is a small pain to bear to several years (not to mention $$$) of mis-spent effort trying to fit on the wrong size bike.

Don't know if that helps at all..........

M

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
I'm probably a bit late to this post, but you can tell if its a medium or a large frame visually.
The medium has bump stops underneath the down tube, where the large doesn't.
By the way, I'm 5 9 and ride a large, I think the levos come up small, I'm normally a medium.

Scottlosttheplot

Jun 26, 2018
Haslemere
Hi guys. I've not posted before but this post has driven me to contribute. I've invested £7k in an expert and made sure that I rode both medium and small. I got my LBS to order a small in just for demo to be sure. I've ridden dozens of ebikes from most of TE manufacturers. I'm 5'8 and I bought the small! The new Levo are longer in reach, all sizes have the same stack. The small levo frame is longer and higher in all geometry than the Trek Powerfly for eg. Advice is make sure to ride them first - sizing is really personal and it is quite a worry!

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
Hi guys. I've not posted before but this post has driven me to contribute. I've invested £7k in an expert and made sure that I rode both medium and small. I got my LBS to order a small in just for demo to be sure. I've ridden dozens of ebikes from most of TE manufacturers. I'm 5'8 and I bought the small! The new Levo are longer in reach, all sizes have the same stack. The small levo frame is longer and higher in all geometry than the Trek Powerfly for eg. Advice is make sure to ride them first - sizing is really personal and it is quite a worry!
5'8 on a small

Ddc6284

Oct 30, 2018
Saint Louis MO
But... but... I don't want to! Wahhhhhhhhhhhh :(

It means I miss the summer, and according to the LBS there will be minimal changes this year, maybe just a number change 2018>2019. But I think you are right, as much as it annoys me.

I will say that specialized really have made this process a complete mess and incredibly frustrating. Moving the goal posts every week and saying they have bikes they don't etc.

If any new perspective buyers buyers are looking to buy specialized I would advise them not to, customer service is not great and I see online on the other forums and Reddit, they have a very poor after sales reputation. I never got as far as after sales, as their customer service has just been the worst experience I have ever had buying any product.

What happened to the days when you walked into a bike shop, picked a bike, got fitted and you rode off? I miss those days.

His local Lbs told them 2018-19 minimal changes... LMAO

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I'd forgotten just how much of a nutjob he was, thanks for reminding me. :ROFLMAO:

Max-E

Apr 30, 2019
UK
5'8 on a small

Apologies for disagreeing but as the member you quoted posted, sizing is personal not just a case of guide says M therefore I *must* buy a medium. You need to look at the geo closely and buy not just on height but leg length compared to torso etc.

As an example I’m sure there are hundreds of members on here (say 5’7 to 5’10) who ran or still run medium 2018 Levos and were/are very happy with them and don’t suddenly think they are too small or geo a year ago was all wrong.

However (where it matters in the two most important fit dimensions to determine size) a 2019 small Levo is actually *bigger* than a 2018 medium Levo: reach 415 vs 411, stack 606 vs 603.

I’m 5’ 8.5” but still considering a small 2019 Levo as I can get the length required (with a longer than stock stem) but gain a lower minimum seat height and keep a bit of old school handling which many still prefer. I’ll reserve judgment until I’ve ridden both sizes... ?

Last edited:

Indigo

Oct 6, 2018
Brisbane, Australia
I had a similar experience as @Cyclone. I'm 172.5cm (5'8") and I test rode a Levo Fattie M; with seat fully dropped I could only just touch ground with tip toes on one foot. On closer inspection seat post collar was ~30mm above top of seat tube and I was told "it's about as low as it can go". It was a base model 2017 Levo Fattie M, that was also available for day hire and the only size they had. I guess they fitted a long dropper post to make it suit a wider range of people. A dropper post (too long for bike) would explain the OP's experience of not being able to touch the ground and being a huge distance away from peddles when post was fully extended.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles