Levo Gen 2 Specialized Frame Warranty Policy (I hope I’m wrong)

Jcolborn48

Apr 13, 2020
California
So I’ve been told Specialized has the best warranty, part of the reason I bought my 2020 Levo Comp. Well, I noticed the weld on my chain stay was cracked, took it to my LBS and they said no worries, warranty. Chainstay showed up....and it’s black, my bike is tan/orange. What good is a black chainstay going to do me? My LBS told me Specialized response was that all warranty frame components are black, because they cannot maintain all the colors of all the models and still maintain a lifetime warranty! So they are saying that they can’t keep a color for less than a year? This bike is 9 months old! If I was looking for them to replace 10 year old Rockhopper, I’d get it, but a 2020 model? If not matching color is their policy, then I think their policy sucks. I hope my LBS just screwed up and ordered the wrong color.
65F60DCD-EFBD-46D2-AFC7-6A2FEB620802.jpeg

escrs

Jun 26, 2019
UK
Pretty standard with the bike industry im afraid

When you think about it most manufactures release new colours every year (black is normally always a option) and most frames are offered in 4-5 colours of each frame model Levo, Kenevo, stuntjumper etc...) and each model can have a different range of colours to other models

Now imagine each countries distro has to keep say 2 complete frames of each colour in every size of each model in case of any warranty claims

So say the Levo has 4 colour options in the UK and comes in 4 different sizes

To have 2 frames in every size and of every colour in case of any warranty claims for that one model year would mean they would have to keep back 32 frames of that exact model of that year to offer a colour and size compatible warranty replacement

Much easier to use the frame from a mass produced colour like black which they will have lots in stock in every size, so they just have to open up a new boxed bike and strip off the rear end/front end/other parts needed for warranty

Jcolborn48

Apr 13, 2020
California
Pretty standard with the bike industry im afraid

When you think about it most manufactures release new colours every year (black is normally always a option) and most frames are offered in 4-5 colours of each frame model Levo, Kenevo, stuntjumper etc...) and each model can have a different range of colours to other models

Now imagine each countries distro has to keep say 2 complete frames of each colour in every size of each model in case of any warranty claims

So say the Levo has 4 colour options in the UK and comes in 4 different sizes

To have 2 frames in every size and of every colour in case of any warranty claims for that one model year would mean they would have to keep back 32 frames of that exact model of that year to offer a colour and size compatible warranty replacement

Much easier to use the frame from a mass produced colour like black which they will have lots in stock in every size, so they just have to open up a new boxed bike and strip off the rear end/front end/other parts needed for warranty
I get the reasoning, just a shame that 9 months into a brand new expensive bike that has failed at 2 factory welds and now I'm stuck with a pieced together bike, oh well....

KeithR

Jul 1, 2020
Blyth, Northumberland
I get the reasoning, just a shame that 9 months into a brand new expensive bike that has failed at 2 factory welds and now I'm stuck with a pieced together bike, oh well....
Yep, as others are saying, take a positive view - a black rear triangle to match your black forks will look tremendous!

lumpy

🚁 CHOPPER 🚁
Nov 26, 2018
SF Bay Area
I had a big crash and bent the hell out of mine. The replacement is black - same part as on an Stumpjumper.
I don't care what color it is and I can't see it when I'm riding!

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
There is nothing stopping them keeping all the spares as black or any base colour, then spraying the part to match the bike. Car makers do it.

Edit: I'm lucky because my Focus bike colour is exactly the same as Peugot Aegean Blue Metallic. So whatever colour they send me, I can respray it with an aerosol can from Halfords!

Last edited:

Jcolborn48

Apr 13, 2020
California
Well, I guess there is light at the end of this tunnel.....when they were putting the chainstay on, they found a crack on a weld in the bottom bracket, so I guess I'll have a primarily black bike now. So now, I've had the motor replaced once, suspension had to be sent back to Rockshox for warranty, and now cracked chain stay and main frame, I guess my bike was built on a Friday afternoon ?‍♂️

apac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
Well, I guess there is light at the end of this tunnel.....when they were putting the chainstay on, they found a crack on a weld in the bottom bracket, so I guess I'll have a primarily black bike now. So now, I've had the motor replaced once, suspension had to be sent back to Rockshox for warranty, and now cracked chain stay and main frame, I guess my bike was built on a Friday afternoon ?‍♂️

Sheeeeeet, cool man, you must be a hardcore rider! ? I think everyone on the forum should give an applause... ?

Jcolborn48

Apr 13, 2020
California
Sheeeeeet, cool man, you must be a hardcore rider! ? I think everyone on the forum should give an applause... ?
Haha! I haven't gotten my invitation to Redbull Rampage yet, so I'll stick with my built on a Friday afternoon theory

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
There is nothing stopping them keeping all the spares as black or any base colour, then spraying the part to match the bike. Car makers do it.

Edit: I'm lucky because my Focus bike colour is exactly the same as Peugot Aegean Blue Metallic. So whatever colour they send me, I can respray it with an aerosol can from Halfords!
nope...all replacement panels come in primer!!

redrhino

Mar 24, 2020
california
Well at least the OP can get creative with a spray can. Sounds like fun to me.

Yes, don't we all dream of dumping $8k into a bike and then have to spray paint it like it is a $200 walmart special. Also I would think specialized would try to avoid situations like this. It doesn't reflect well on them to have riders out there on specialized bikes with mismatched frame parts. "Hey dude, why is your swingarm a different color?" "Oh, it cracked after a few months and they don't warranty with matching parts."

I know for a fact that Santa Cruz warranties with the right frame color parts until they no longer have warranty stock and then they give you options. Not sure about other brands.

Roger20

Mar 6, 2020
West Yorkshire UK
In the UK at least, I would have thought that consumer law was on the side of the owner. The onus is on the dealer to put the customer back in the same position as he was before - ie if it comes in primer/black the dealer has the obligation to get it outsourced to a painter who can colour match and then spray it to the original colour.

If this was say a Ford wing mirror which only came in primer who could possibly accept that as being acceptable finish? If the LBS is then out of pocket he should seek reimbursement from Specialized.

Again, in the UK I think an owner has the right to have a replacement or refund within 6 months if the manufacturer cannot put the owner back in the same position as before.

There has to be goodwill and commonsense here. These bikes are the price of a car after all.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Is it just the one chain stay, or a whole new backend they have given you? If tis just the chain stay I would be pissed, but a black rear end on that would look pretty unique and sweet IMO.

KeithR

Jul 1, 2020
Blyth, Northumberland
In the UK at least, I would have thought that consumer law was on the side of the owner. The onus is on the dealer to put the customer back in the same position as he was before - ie if it comes in primer/black the dealer has the obligation to get it outsourced to a painter who can colour match and then spray it to the original colour.

The warranty is pretty clear - the "structural integrity" of the frame and frameset are covered, and Specialized will replace "with the same or most similar product then available. This is because we do not keep inventory forever, so we may not have the exact replacement part or exact color available."

https://media.specialized.com/support/collateral/0000109731-warranty-uk-en.pdf

You buy the bike, you accept the terms of the warranty, and that included replacement parts that might not match the bike's colour.

Remember - it's the structural integrity of the frame that's warrantied, not the paint job,

Last edited:

redrhino

Mar 24, 2020
california
The warranty is very clear - the "structural integrity" of the frame and frameset are covered, and Specialized will replace "with the same or most similar product then available. This is because we do not keep inventory forever, so we may not have the exact replacement part or exact color available."

https://media.specialized.com/support/collateral/0000109731-warranty-uk-en.pdf

You buy the bike, you accept the terms of the warranty.

Those appear to be the terms you agree to then, however...

"This is because we do not keep inventory forever, so we may not have the exact replacement part or exact color available."

... also implies they do stock inventory of warranty parts in colors for a period time, just not "forever." This is a high demand 2020 bike we are talking about here, not a 2012 rockhopper.

So, whether or not this is what you "agree" to when you buy a bike the dealer verbally tells you has a "lifetime warranty." The bottom line is the situation sucks and equates to poor customer service given how new the bike is.

KeithR

Jul 1, 2020
Blyth, Northumberland
... also implies they do stock inventory of warranty parts in colors for a period time
Sure - and Specialized will know better than we do what their parts inventory looks like, so if they say they don't have a part that colour-matches the bike it's going on, why would we assume that not to be true?

redrhino

Mar 24, 2020
california
Sure - and Specialized will know better than we do what their parts inventory looks like, so if they say they don't have a part that colour-matches the bike it's going on, why would we assume that not to be true?

The original poster asked if only giving replacement frame parts in black is their policy, which is what he was told. He was NOT told they were out of warranty replacements for the color of his frame and they could only give him black. Based on your post it seems they do stock colors.

Regardless of the legality and technical arguments about all this. A shit sandwich is a shit sandwich and that is what he is being served. Leaves a bad taste and is hard to swallow.

Roger20

Mar 6, 2020
West Yorkshire UK
So let's be clear. If your electric mirror failed on your 8 month old car, you would be quite happy to accept one in primer if the manufacturer told you they couldn't possibly keep colour matched mirrors for every car they sold?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles