Specialized Brain 2.0 system

Benson

Sep 19, 2018
Hampshire UK
Anyone have any experience living with the Specialized Brain 2.0 system on bikes such as the 2018 onwards Epic? I was about to pull the trigger on a hard tail but then started considering a short travel full bounce and then discovered the Brain 2.0 and in theory it seems perfect. Any thoughts on the effectiveness? Already have a 140mm travel trail bike and an old hardtail (plus a 2019 Levo). Wondering if the ht and 140 could be replaced by a Brain equipped Epic.

Levo-Lon

Jan 21, 2020
Uk
Bit late but others may ask.
I have the epic 2019 ,it is a superb bike and the brain works very well.
It takes a little bit of getting used too in that it makes a noise in firmer settings and you can't adjust on the fly.

As a 100mm travel full sus bike its firm well sorted and an extremely good fun bike.

I happily do 20 plus miles off road without an ache and I do suffer with neck pain.

I'd use it at any trail centre, even cannock coedy ect.
But this is built for low hit fast fun so xc is its thing.
Hth

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Spesh Brain concept is really rather pointless on any FS mtb with decent anti-squat suspension characteristics.
My 160/170mm FS Emtb and 170/170mm enduro bike are both such an efficient pedallers I ride them everywhere with both ends full open. That includes a daily 20mile+ ROAD commute (on the Eeb).
As above. it's a little funky in use. I do see the point for an XC racer (non Eeb) but nothing else really.
I absolutely love riding non-Ebike Hardtails BTW. and a brain shocked FS has absolutely none of the traits I like so much about them.

Last edited:

Benson

Sep 19, 2018
Hampshire UK
Bit late but others may ask.
I have the epic 2019 ,it is a superb bike and the brain works very well.
It takes a little bit of getting used too in that it makes a noise in firmer settings and you can't adjust on the fly.

As a 100mm travel full sus bike its firm well sorted and an extremely good fun bike.

I happily do 20 plus miles off road without an ache and I do suffer with neck pain.

I'd use it at any trail centre, even cannock coedy ect.
But this is built for low hit fast fun so xc is its thing.
Hth

Couldn't agree more! I ended up getting an Epic Evo Expert (100 rear and 120 front) shortly after posting this thread, love the bike, really versatile and great for long XC rides or short and sharp blasts round Swinley or QECP (especially great for that place given its climbing credentials). I swapped the tyres out for a DHF on the front and an Ikon on the rear and it rolls really well. Its actually my goto bike for most rides.

Levo-Lon

Jan 21, 2020
Uk
Couldn't agree more! I ended up getting an Epic Evo Expert (100 rear and 120 front) shortly after posting this thread, love the bike, really versatile and great for long XC rides or short and sharp blasts round Swinley or QECP (especially great for that place given its climbing credentials). I swapped the tyres out for a DHF on the front and an Ikon on the rear and it rolls really well. Its actually my goto bike for most rides.

Excellent choice, they're superb bikes.
I've had a few good mtbs but the epic is by far the best bike so far, I sold my 140 stereo hpcr ,and my marin HT last yr,don't miss them at all.
The Epic and the levo both hurt my face when I go out on them..look forward to every outing with them.

wildsau2

Jul 6, 2018
Germany, Karlsruhe
i own an epic 2018 brain 2. my oppinion is that its much much better than any manual triggers like n a scott. you dont trigger when you go busy. so spesh epic brain all the way! its fast. and i like when the brain triggers in 1/10 second. knock ... knock. this bike is the reason to ride non ebikes! i had a eMTB hardtail before, and i own a spesh stumpjumper pro before. the epic ist faster than any eMTB.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles