Sort Powerfly Error code 530 - battery connection problem - no speedo numbers

akos

Oct 25, 2019
Bristol
hi, just sharing my issue, might help someone. My Powerfly started to cut off on rough terrain, loosing power, sometimes dropped 530 error.

Initially solved it with dismounting the battery and put some foam under the battery, but after some time it was fully off.

I had no speedometer 0.0 numbers at all, means no connection to battery.

Disassembled the battery connection on the frame and found a green wire came off the connector. Looks like poor solder joints and the wire is shorter then the others.

I had to pedal home on my own power. Plus a horse stolen my glove and tried on his feet so I need new ones.

Thankfully it was an easy fix, I won`t need to wait weeks for a service to sort out and stay without my bike.

IMG_20200508_154152.jpg

IMG_20200508_200350.jpg

tobster

Apr 3, 2020
Oxford
interesting story Akos. My 2019 powerfly has started switching off over bumpy ground. So far I haven't seen an error code as the system just switches off completely.
As it's only 6 months old I took it back to a trek dealership. They recovered a coule of error codes associated with power failure and the Trek diagnostics system recommended a firmware update. So, they updated the firmware (charged me £25) and "adjusted the battery fitment" (£20). It hasn't completely mended it, but it is better. I wonder if I also have a faulty solder...

Sophie777

Jul 3, 2018
Canada
interesting story Akos. My 2019 powerfly has started switching off over bumpy ground. So far I haven't seen an error code as the system just switches off completely.
As it's only 6 months old I took it back to a trek dealership. They recovered a coule of error codes associated with power failure and the Trek diagnostics system recommended a firmware update. So, they updated the firmware (charged me £25) and "adjusted the battery fitment" (£20). It hasn't completely mended it, but it is better. I wonder if I also have a faulty solder...

Why did they charge you?
Should not the work have been done under warranty?

tobster

Apr 3, 2020
Oxford
Apparently Trek warranty does not cover labour only parts. Imagine the response if that happened in your new BMW broke - “we’ve replaced the faulty engine for free but we’re charging you £1000 to change it...”

akos

Oct 25, 2019
Bristol
Apparently Trek warranty does not cover labour only parts. Imagine the response if that happened in your new BMW broke - “we’ve replaced the faulty engine for free but we’re charging you £1000 to change it...”

That is not nice. Your battery mount is different I guess, but still can be a similar, loose wire.

I`m also thinking about visiting a dealership for a firmware update, it would add a new mode.
Not sure if it is worth the £25.

Capo

Feb 16, 2020
N yorks
Same thing has happened to mine Powerfly 9.7 I have had this loud rattle from what I thought was battery now when I go over rough ground I lose all power no error codes as display shut# off no I idea where it is coming from back at my lbs twice now with rattle as they dont what is causing it and now this problem with loosing power

tobster

Apr 3, 2020
Oxford
Same thing has happened to mine Powerfly 9.7 I have had this loud rattle from what I thought was battery now when I go over rough ground I lose all power no error codes as display shut# off no I idea where it is coming from back at my lbs twice now with rattle as they dont what is causing it and now this problem with loosing power
Capo, sorry to hear you're having similar cut out problems. After the LBS fiddled with my bike it has only switched off a few times, so a great improvement. However it does seem that battery installation may turn out to be a key adjustment. If only there was some information out there so that we could keep it in adjustment, especially when the warranty expires. After all I wouldn't need to take the bike back to the LBS if the rear derallieur needs slight adjustment as there is loads of info on setting that up.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
My Rail 7 has started doing this over rough ground, so most of my rides.

Sometimes it turns back on by itself, sometimes it needs me to press the power button and occasionally I have to turn it on using the switch on the battery, which requires a small Allen key. Most frustrating., especially as you don't know if your going to have power until you try and pedal...

I was hoping to get it checked out today at the LBS but they're closed today and tomorrow. ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles