Soon to be newbie in need of buying advice

Steve G H

Nov 22, 2020
Sleaford
Hi all , I'm in need of some advice about my first Ebike .
I've had my Giant Anthem stolen out of the garage and been made an offer by the insurance company . Basically I've got a decent amount towards my first ebike , I'll have to contribute , and figured no better time to make the move . If I use their designated supplier i get full offer , if i want cash to spend locally , which I'd prefer , the deduct a not insignificant 20% , approx £680 !
This will be my only mountain bike and my riding consists of local fairly flat bridleways with a once or twice a month trip to Peak District or trail centres like Dalby , Cannock or Sherwood.
I was leaning towards a Levo SL due to the local rides , I quite often ride over 15mph and average just under that on a regular 25 mile route . My thinking was that past the motor cut off it would be an easier bike to ride . However , I've spent some time looking and you just seem to get better value if you buy a full fat ebike . Led me to feel the Levo SL is expensive given its spec .

I've picked the Moustache as an example , I've got a dealer a few miles away and I can also get it from the insurance supplier , although I may try to get a bit of discount locally and buy from him , I'd sooner support local .
My worry is the weight of a full fat bike past that cut off . Ideally I'd like to demo but the dealer doesn't stock higher end bikes , supplied to order and I'd feel bad trying something I'm going to buy elsewhere. Same applies to the Levo , plus there's the complication of Covid and not being easy to just get a look and ride on something right now .
Any input be great, its not a bad problem to have but I want to buy right , I tend to keep my bikes a while .

Thanks

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Personally if my last and only bike was an anthem (and that was suitable for my riding) I'd definitely be looking at lighter weight trail Ebikes.
Normal Eebs do indeed weigh a ton and no matter what Ebike riders tell you about their bikes no Ebike rides anything like a lightweight short travel bike like the Anthem. A carbon SL will bridge that gap somewhat more tho.
Oh... and fit lightweight fast tyres. They make a massive difference above assistance speeds.

Your other option is to derestrict it so you'll no longer have to ride with no assistance. But that won't help with the loss iof nimbleness Eebs have over normal bikes

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles