Solo e biking. Who has an EPIRB or other safety device to call for help? What are you using ?

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
I was looking at the ACR resqlink. Anyone have any feedback on these or can recommend a plb?

Battery life is a consideration with a plb - you recycle the unit when the battery goes flat because replacing a battery costs as much as buying a new unit.

The acr has a 6 year battery life expectancy. Hopefully these things jyst sit in a pocket and never get used, but why pay $300 for 6 years when the kti is the same price, similar size, and gas a 10 year battery life?

I've thrown away 2 epirbs in the last 13 years - the first was when the rescue frequencies changed, the second was a gme that went beyond the 3 year battery life. My kti is now 7 years old so if I had bought an acr I'd have thrown it away by now.

Derek

Jun 11, 2019
Aust
T
Battery life is a consideration with a plb - you recycle the unit when the battery goes flat because replacing a battery costs as much as buying a new unit.

The acr has a 6 year battery life expectancy. Hopefully these things jyst sit in a pocket and never get used, but why pay $300 for 6 years when the kti is the same price, similar size, and gas a 10 year battery life?

I've thrown away 2 epirbs in the last 13 years - the first was when the rescue frequencies changed, the second was a gme that went beyond the 3 year battery life. My kti is now 7 years old so if I had bought an acr I'd have thrown it away by now.
Thanks and 6 vs 10 yrs is a big difference. What model KTI is that as the ones I found was the SA2 or SA2G? Are they the same

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
Doing a lot more riding on my own and getting a lot further away from civilization and totally loving it, but what happens if You have a stack? Doing more Kms getting more confident only a matter of time before i have an off. What does everyone use as far as APPS or GPS or EPIRB ?

an epirb? You are not fishing the barren sea in dead of winter it’s a bike ride.. relax. You die you die.. go have some fun!:$

Pdoz

Feb 16, 2019
T

Thanks and 6 vs 10 yrs is a big difference. What model KTI is that as the ones I found was the SA2 or SA2G? Are they the same

mine ate the kti sa2g - IMHO , spend the extra to have a g (ps) equipped device. - the signal to emergency services includes your possition rather than just a rough truangulation from which satelites are detecting the signal. Searching 15 metres of bush from the air is a lit easier than a few square km....

I've been involved in air extractions of motorbike riders after gravity attacks in the bush - the old pre gps beacon gave the chopper pilot a rough idea of the region to look, but the logistics of communicating between 000 and the chopper EVEN WITHMY SAT PHONE have me convinced that a gps coordinate is a good thing. When that chopper flies past dropping branches , it's hard to be heard on the sat phone......

incidentally, consider installing the emergency plus app on your phone - it gives lat/ long as well as the nearest road so you can give semi meaningful information to emergency services if you need them.

Pdoz

Feb 16, 2019
an epirb? You are not fishing the barren sea in dead of winter it’s a bike ride.. relax. You die you die.. go have some fun!:$

RANT alert, it's been one of those days.....

A plb costs $30 a year. It makes the job easier for search and rescue / emergency services / everyone else who has to tidy up the mess we create when reality bites.

One set of brake pads, in fact you probably spend that much on bike cleaning equipment.

So unless you have done your time with the ses wandering around in the snow / rain / dark trying to find yet another person who hasn't come home in time. AND carried the stretcher as an ambo, AND worked 36 hour shifts as a junior doctor in a hospital, AND dealt with grieving relatives ....... spend that THIRTY miserable $ !!!

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
I only have ELS switched on in my mobile settings ..and I always leave a written note for the missus with a rough outline as to where I'm going ..which depending on whether I've been a good lad she might use or just hang out for the insurance pay out if I croak ..?

Derek

Jun 11, 2019
Aust
mine ate the kti sa2g - IMHO , spend the extra to have a g (ps) equipped device. - the signal to emergency services includes your possition rather than just a rough truangulation from which satelites are detecting the signal. Searching 15 metres of bush from the air is a lit easier than a few square km....

I've been involved in air extractions of motorbike riders after gravity attacks in the bush - the old pre gps beacon gave the chopper pilot a rough idea of the region to look, but the logistics of communicating between 000 and the chopper EVEN WITHMY SAT PHONE have me convinced that a gps coordinate is a good thing. When that chopper flies past dropping branches , it's hard to be heard on the sat phone......

incidentally, consider installing the emergency plus app on your phone - it gives lat/ long as well as the nearest road so you can give semi meaningful information to emergency services if you need them.
Thanks I have the app already but wanted a more full proof last resort device as the 3G and 4G phone signals are pretty average at best in bush areas of Western Australia. So there are different models of the KTI then? I wasnt aware what the G meant in the SA2 designation model. I will investigate some more across that range of products. Thanks

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
I’ve downloaded the “what3words” app which pinpoints you on a grid map and gives you 3 words , give send them to emergencies or anyone and they type them in the app and bingo your on the map !

Pdoz

Feb 16, 2019
Thanks I have the app already but wanted a more full proof last resort device as the 3G and 4G phone signals are pretty average at best in bush areas of Western Australia. So there are different models of the KTI then? I wasnt aware what the G meant in the SA2 designation model. I will investigate some more across that range of products. Thanks

I lose mobile reception in my kitchen....

In west oz , would it be worth considering a thuruya sat phone ? They're not much use down in se vic because our mountains get in the way of the fixed satelite signal, but they sound like a reasonably mobile phone like sat phone? If you have someone who cares, you could presumably run normal mobile tracking apps rather than sinking $ into a garmin inreach or spot tracker subscription.

If I'm heading off doing silly things in remote areas my wife likes knowing the tracker will help her find the corpse. The trouble with a plb us you need tk be able to activate it. Still the most cosg effective way to feel like you are being responsible....but it's a big country

Nicho

Captain Caption
Subscriber
Jan 4, 2020
Furness, South Cumbria.
I’ve downloaded the “what3words” app which pinpoints you on a grid map and gives you 3 words , give send them to emergencies or anyone and they type them in the app and bingo your on the map !

In 2020 25% of what3words locations passed onto mountain rescue teams in the Lake District during callouts were found to give the wrong locations.

Some of these locations were hundreds or even thousands of miles away from the casualties' actual locations!

This is thought to be due to incorrect spelling or words being misheard by the emergency switchboard operator.

You cannot rely on what3words to locate you in an emergency!

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
In 2020 25% of what3words locations passed onto mountain rescue teams in the Lake District during callouts were found to give the wrong locations.

Some of these locations were hundreds or even thousands of miles away from the casualties' actual locations!

This is thought to be due to incorrect spelling or words being misheard by the emergency switchboard operator.

You cannot rely on what3words to locate you in an emergency!
Incorrect spelling or switchboard incompetence shouldn’t put anyone off !
It’s just 3 words with 2 Dots between them and you should know roughly where you are !

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
RANT alert, it's been one of those days.....

A plb costs $30 a year. It makes the job easier for search and rescue / emergency services / everyone else who has to tidy up the mess we create when reality bites.

One set of brake pads, in fact you probably spend that much on bike cleaning equipment.

So unless you have done your time with the ses wandering around in the snow / rain / dark trying to find yet another person who hasn't come home in time. AND carried the stretcher as an ambo, AND worked 36 hour shifts as a junior doctor in a hospital, AND dealt with grieving relatives ....... spend that THIRTY miserable $ !!!

cool story man.. just a little melodramatic, but who knows maybe you have a career in hollywood? ?

epirb's are giant things that people take sailing... That what I was referencing.. maybe the OG poster is worried about tidal waves?

This culture of safetyism has really got to go though.. wear 2 masks.. wash your hands.. carry an epirb!!!

People used to go explore unknown countries.. sail vast uncharted oceans.. climb unclimbed peaks.. this was all done before anything was available to monitor your every move 24/7... amazing! Now going for a bike ride you need military back up with a real time video feed?

Bring what makes you feel comfortable but how many people die alone on ebikes every year? Is this some underreported source of incredible death and suffering? Nope... use common sense.. if you want to go ham make sure you have a ridding buddy, if you ride alone.. take it easy.... its not that hard.

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
cool story man.. just a little melodramatic, but who knows maybe you have a career in hollywood? ?

epirb's are giant things that people take sailing... That what I was referencing.. maybe the OG poster is worried about tidal waves?

This culture of safetyism has really got to go though.. wear 2 masks.. wash your hands.. carry an epirb!!!

People used to go explore unknown countries.. sail vast uncharted oceans.. climb unclimbed peaks.. this was all done before anything was available to monitor your every move 24/7... amazing! Now going for a bike ride you need military back up with a real time video feed?

Bring what makes you feel comfortable but how many people die alone on ebikes every year? Is this some underreported source of incredible death and suffering? Nope... use common sense.. if you want to go ham make sure you have a ridding buddy, if you ride alone.. take it easy.... its not that hard.
Remember tho mate, going for an e bike ride down the local woods practically makes you sly Stallone in cliffhanger ?

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Seamarsh
While I understand what you are saying ..and kind of agree ..accidents can still happen at very low speeds ..Ive broken ribs falling from a bike at less than 5mph and narrowly missed a wooden spike entering my temple while falling at a lower speed than that ( not that any emergency contact number would have helped me then )
I view it in a different way insomuch that it would stop my family from worrying too much if I didn't turn up when expected and they had no way of knowing where I was ...

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
Seamarsh
While I understand what you are saying ..and kind of agree ..accidents can still happen at very low speeds ..Ive broken ribs falling from a bike at less than 5mph and narrowly missed a wooden spike entering my temple while falling at a lower speed than that ( not that any emergency contact number would have helped me then )
I view it in a different way insomuch that it would stop my family from worrying too much if I didn't turn up when expected and they had no way of knowing where I was ...

This is a fair comment ?? And despite the jest in previous post I do get it, specially for guys who get a lot further from civilisation than some of us.

Guess we never used to think about all this cos the tech wasn’t there. Now it is and easily available. No harm in using if you want to

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
Seamarsh

use strata beacon.. t
Seamarsh

sure I get it.. but look up a picture of an epirb and imagine caring one around..! :) that's what my original post was in reference to.. just found it funny because of how ridiculous is seemed..

All the things you mentioned are common sense.. tell people where you are riding.. use something like strava beacon.. everyone has a cell phone.. but people way over think this shit.. you have to onboard some risk to have fun in life..

As to the guy talking about dragging bloody stretchers through the dark and raining night.. gimme a fing break..lol that alone tells you how mutated peoples fears have become and how far from reality we have drifted.... if you are that paranoid stop riding and start knitting..

Pdoz

Feb 16, 2019

When I sail, I wear the same plb ( epirb ) as when I mtb ride, here's a couple of pictures of it in my camel back low rider. At the risk of appearing melodramatic, I've taken it halfway out of the tiny top pocket so you can see it, plus I cropped and magnified the close up so you can compare it with my snake bandage
212E2E4C-A910-4D0A-BEF9-F347C4222DF0.jpeg F956FC12-DF2E-47DE-8DFA-6FACE7827715.jpeg

For what it's worth - yes I do work in a career where I have perspective on these things. I also live in a rural region where our ses regularly get called out to assist with remote area search and rescues of walkers / hunters / motorbike and mountain bike riders. They have teams on motorbikes, x country ski, foot and horse mounted, plus white water kyak. Great people who get dragged away from paid employment because other people don't bother with simple safety precautions. Unpaid volunteers, just like our country fire fighters.

ALL these people live in this region because they enjoy active, adventurous life. Not holywood or keyboard fantasies.

Strava is useless when you are away from mobile reception - if you have mobile reception where you are mountain bike riding, I feel sorry for you.

Pdoz

Feb 16, 2019
Size and functionality comparrison..

Sat phone - an 18 year old Motorola , it takes the sim from my normal mobile and can make iridium based sat calls / sms anywhere in the world but at scary prices. It was useful when negotiating retrievals of a rider with a broken neck in far nth NT , as well as a flail chest in the vic high country. Also great for checking the weather report from the francis peron peninsula in west oz, and keeping my wife updated whilst I crossed the simpson.

Mobile phone - samsung a30. Self explanatory, great for posting / watching video footage from my loungeroom but not much use for communicating if I fall over in the kitchen out of mobile range.

plb - $300 for 10 years, it sends an " oops at lat long" signal so someone who cares can hopefully come and look. Eventually. That might mean a 4 hour 4x4 drive for the local cop to check if it's worth sending helimed. I've waited for helimed with a flail chest and pneumothorax after dropping my motorbike putting it in the shed. It was a painful half hour and I really wasn't looking forward to decompressing my own lung if it progressed to a tension pneumothorax.

garmin inreach mini -$450 plus a monthly subscription that costs about the same as a cheap mobile plan. Sms style communication via sat network , plus tracking and emergency beacon facility. Great theory, but it misses tracking signals as often as it sends them. I should probably gave bought the larger model, but orefer not to carry huge useless things like mobile phones.
8B4CD8D4-FFF8-4BDD-B4D2-40F2DC1E7EA0.jpeg

nandewar

Aug 13, 2020
Australia
I carry a PLB and have done for years. Motor bikes and MTBs cause I usually ride on my own with little or no mobile coverage cause they are the fun places to be. I have never used it and hope I never will. I am allergic to bee sting so the PLB is with my Epipen.

djol

Feb 28, 2022
Tasmania, Australia
I have a Garmin inReach Mini 2 / never needed it in anger, but nice to have along. Very small and light, though does take a little bit to get a sat connection. Great if only to provide your location to those at home, plus 2-way SMS when out of mobile range – but also can raise emergency with authorities if ever needed.

Derek

Jun 11, 2019
Aust
So the ACR resqlnk no longer made as the manufacturer folded. I eventually went with the rescueME PLB1. On special not that expensive. Need to go thru through registration process and single use in the case of an emergency. Basically a last resort if on my own or anyone in a group ride needs to use in a life or death situation and no mobile coverage. Seems a pretty cheap safety device that hopefully never gets used. Thanks for everyone's comments and input.

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
I'm excited about the upcoming satellite communication for iPhones.
It will go live in November in the U.S. and Canada.

I'm kinda meh on it. The whole bit about needing to spin the phone around to find a satellite signal is not something I want to have to worry about if I have a compound fracture or a concussion. I think it will be fine for "I'm lost" or "someone else is hurt". But when I'm backcountry on my bike, motorcycle, or snowboard, I want something that will work for me too!

FWIW, I carry a Garmin InReach Mini, and as long as I have a somewhat clear sky, it's a super easy process to hit the SOS button.

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
Size and functionality comparrison..

Sat phone - an 18 year old Motorola , it takes the sim from my normal mobile and can make iridium based sat calls / sms anywhere in the world but at scary prices. It was useful when negotiating retrievals of a rider with a broken neck in far nth NT , as well as a flail chest in the vic high country. Also great for checking the weather report from the francis peron peninsula in west oz, and keeping my wife updated whilst I crossed the simpson.

Mobile phone - samsung a30. Self explanatory, great for posting / watching video footage from my loungeroom but not much use for communicating if I fall over in the kitchen out of mobile range.

plb - $300 for 10 years, it sends an " oops at lat long" signal so someone who cares can hopefully come and look. Eventually. That might mean a 4 hour 4x4 drive for the local cop to check if it's worth sending helimed. I've waited for helimed with a flail chest and pneumothorax after dropping my motorbike putting it in the shed. It was a painful half hour and I really wasn't looking forward to decompressing my own lung if it progressed to a tension pneumothorax.

garmin inreach mini -$450 plus a monthly subscription that costs about the same as a cheap mobile plan. Sms style communication via sat network , plus tracking and emergency beacon facility. Great theory, but it misses tracking signals as often as it sends them. I should probably gave bought the larger model, but orefer not to carry huge useless things like mobile phones.
View attachment 52818

The other thing the InReach plan (some of them) give you is evac insurance.

Kingerz

Jul 11, 2021
Australia
It depends where you ride. PLBs are expensive, but if you go way off route in no-cell country, it's the way. Most of us are fine with just a phone and telling someone where we are going. Myself I have a Garmin bike computer that has Live Tracking, so my wife can see where I am on a map.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles