Snapped my H15's Derailleur hanger today.....

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
Snapped my hanger on a rock today....thankfully X01 derailleur is ok. I was a bit worried I wouldn't be able to find replacement in time to go to Downieville in a few weeks...thankfully after a bunch of phone calls, I have two hangers in hand so I can fix my Rise tonight.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
@BiGJZ74 Bending or snapping is what the hangers are designed to do, so that the expensive mech emerges unscathed.

I had to have the mech hanger realigned three times on my first 12-speed mtb before I bought a mech hanger alignment tool. Since then, I have used it about four times, which implies the hanger is doing its job (ie bending). But I have also snapped an XT mech clean in two and severely bent an SLX mech arm twice, and broke off a jockey wheel tooth, so the hanger can only do so much to prevent mech damage. I have two spare hangers for my current bike and carry one with me in my pack.

Buying a mech hanger alignment tool is an act of faith (that you will use it enough to justify the cost), but I have never regretted it.

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
@BiGJZ74 Bending or snapping is what the hangers are designed to do, so that the expensive mech emerges unscathed.

I had to have the mech hanger realigned three times on my first 12-speed mtb before I bought a mech hanger alignment tool. Since then, I have used it about four times, which implies the hanger is doing its job (ie bending). But I have also snapped an XT mech clean in two and severely bent an SLX mech arm twice, and broke off a jockey wheel tooth, so the hanger can only do so much to prevent mech damage. I have two spare hangers for my current bike and carry one with me in my pack.

Buying a mech hanger alignment tool is an act of faith (that you will use it enough to justify the cost), but I have never regretted it.
Thanks, I appreciate the info, but I already knew a hangers purpose and have the tool. I've broke a quite few mechs in my day, a bit unlucky I guess, but strangely my first hanger in 20 years . Post was more about thankfully finding the replacement hangers on the same day it broke and getting my bike ready to ride on the same day. I've read a ton of posts about not being able to find hangers for months...I've got weekend trips coming up and that would have sucked.

YokoOno

May 5, 2020
Colorado
Good that you got a spare quickly.
I always purchase a spare with every new bike purchase and keep it in my pack. Losing RD in the wilderness isn't fun.

I've owned the Park DAG tool for over 20 years. Problem is that once the RD bends, and is realigned, it's integrity is compromised and it tends to bend far more easily again. In the old days, when RD weren't replaceable, we had no choice. Now I just replace the hanger if bent and don't bother with the DAG

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
..................... Now I just replace the hanger if bent and don't bother with the DAG
On all the occasions when I had to use the DAG, the hanger was not obviously bent. I just had a collection of shifting problems that I could not solve in the usual way. Re-aligning the hanger solved those problems. And hangers are not cheap anymore! And what if you can't find a new one? :)

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ

I’ve bent derailleurs on every singe one of my MTB’s

YokoOno

May 5, 2020
Colorado
Is this for Rise H or Carbon?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly certain the RD hanger fits both carbon & Aluminum models, as well as the Occam series.
It's a lot pricier than Orbea's OEM, but I'm happy to have it in my pack and the North Shore's twist cap is sturdier than the OEM

It fits my m20 just fine

Last edited:

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I picked up piece of wood I think on beach going dead slow. Broke hanger and derailleur sheared all the bolts. Chopped chain length to get home .

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles