Should I or shouldn't I? 🤷🏻‍♂️

tonto

Apr 27, 2024
Cannock
Hi, so I ride an Orange phase pro running the fox float x performance. Never ridden a coil shock and considering swapping out for an ohlins - what's the concenous?

PXL_20240329_095352380.MP~2.jpg

Weeksy

Dec 13, 2019
Reading
A lot depends upon a few things.

1. How you want the bike to feel
2. The suspension progression curve of the frame.

In some ways with a coil it'll feel more 'dead' but more plush with it, it'll lose some of it's poppiness but will absorb bumps and hits much much nicer (in my experience).
It's impossible to say whether you'll prefer it.

It'll also add approx 400gr of weight.

tonto

Apr 27, 2024
Cannock
That's great guidance/insight... Sounds like I could do with demoing a bike with a coil shock first!
Last thing I want to do is ruin the feel of it and loose £600+ in the process 🤣
👍🏻

Semmelrocc

E*POWAH Master
Dec 28, 2021
Germany
In your bike's case I would consider swapping the GRIP damper of your forks for something fancier (or some new forks with a more advanced damping unit altogether). Would be a noticeable improvement imo.

tonto

Apr 27, 2024
Cannock
In your bike's case I would consider swapping the GRIP damper of your forks for something fancier (or some new forks with a more advanced damping unit altogether). Would be a noticeable improvement imo.
Like the sound of more noticeable upgrade, any suggestions? 🤘🏻

Semmelrocc

E*POWAH Master
Dec 28, 2021
Germany
Best option available today would be the Grip2 cartridge; later this year the Grip X (budget) or X2 (top of the line).

gmoss

Mar 21, 2024
Hickory, NC
I agree that you need to really test a coil first. I got coil curious and it cost me a couple hundo. If you do decide to, go used to start. I figured out quickly I like the poppiness and pedaling support of air. Also much easier dialing in sag and feel, at least for me.

I also agree about the fork. That will be my next upgrade, X2 damper assembly to replace my Grip2.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles