Shorter Crank Arms on Levo / Kenevo?

tabrat

Sep 29, 2019
Ventura CA
You really need to order the Kappa. If you call them they will tell you the Delta is the wrong crank for turbo Levo. I am running the Kappa 155 and it works fine.

wrayb

May 9, 2019
North Carolina
I purchased a set of Miranda Kappa 150mm crank arms. The Q is correct and they DEFINITELY will minimize pedal strikes!!! However...I think they are just too short for me. Anyone have a set of Miranda Kappa155mm cranks and would like to trade? I would also consider the 160mm

Benson

Sep 19, 2018
Hampshire UK
Thanks for the feedback folks, think I’ll return the cranks to Merlin and buy the Kappas. Are the Levo specific ones ok for the 2019 model?

Peko

Sep 23, 2018
Germany
I have (had) two sets of 155mm Miranda's. Both are heavy bended by some pedal strikes. I won't buy them again, it's a very weak alloy.

Benson

Sep 19, 2018
Hampshire UK
So I bought the Kappa 150mm cranks and been running them for a while. Initially I thought they were great, and for pedal strike avoidance they really are, but I really notice the higher cadence required for the same level of drive. It feels like my gearing has radically changed so I’m likely going back to the originals.

tabrat

Sep 29, 2019
Ventura CA
Everyone has the cadence thing backwards. The feel is changing but not the cadence and if anything your feet are slowing and cadence slowing on the same gears. The larger the outside diameter of the circle around the center point you are rotating around the faster speed it must be moving to achieve the same rotation speed as a smaller outside diameter. So what happens is the larger the diameter the easier it is to pedal due to leverage and speed gained per revolution and the smaller the harder it is too pedal due to rotation speed lost and loss of leverage. This is simply fixed by gearing or power assist adjustment but it will not feel the same. Simply put a longer lever exerts more force than a shorter lever with the same input.

The definition of “cadence” or “bicycle cadence” is how many revolutions per minute you make with your cranks. This does NOT change because you change your cranks to shorter cranks however you may feel like you have lost some leverage and are now choosing an easier pedal gear which then changes cadence. You can address this in App by raising the % of power assist let’s say from 50 to 60% or something like that or simply learn to quit mashing on your e-bike. The closer your pedals get to the bottom bracket the slower actual speed they are rotating and your feet are rotating at the exact same cadence as longer cranks but a lower rotating speed.

The physics of this is absolute and cannot be argued however you simply may not like the feel compared to 165 cranks but I personally think that 165s are definitely too long for the low bottom brackets on Levos.
The other thing to consider when going to shorter cranks is what it does to you leg extension and if you need to raise your seat to adjust. Now that is a real issue and a centimeter is something workable for me personally but more might start forcing other adjustments in the cockpit, like stems or spacers, as you start sitting more on top of the bike than in the the bike which is okay for climbing but not descending. Of course that is what dropper seat posts are for.

Personally, I believe the shorter cranks are far superior...but shorter than 155 may trigger other considerations.

Last edited:

Taffyteg

Founding Member
Feb 13, 2018
United Kingdom
I went for the Hope 155mm cranks, I have to admit I didn't really notice much difference from a pedalling point of view, even with the motor turned off which I regularly do and no more pedal strikes. Would definitely recommend doing it.

Peko

Sep 23, 2018
Germany
Here a short scary update to the Miranda cranks.
After some manuals i had a weird feeling while pedalling. My first thought was the pedal itself, but then the crank broke suddenly. Don't want to imagine, if this happens anybody on a downhill trail... ?

IMG_20200918_125433.jpg

Last edited:

Peko

Sep 23, 2018
Germany
Now I have two good right and two bad left 155mm cranks of the Miranda's.

The first was heavily bent as I touched a log with my foot on the pedal, because I had a bad crank position. For real... only my foot... Neither the pedal, nor the the crank touched it. It hurts a little, but it did not even bleed.
And the second one broke today. Material fatigue?

Who buys cheap, will buy twice. Does anyone need one or two right 155mm cranks? ?

Last edited:

Tim69

Feb 25, 2019
Israel
Now I have two good right and two bad left 155mm cranks of the Miranda's.

The first was heavily bended as I touched a log with my foot on the pedal, because I had a bad crank position. For real... only my foot... Neither the pedal, nor the the crank touched it. It hurts a bit, but it did not even bleed.
And the second one broke today. Material fatigue?

Who buys cheap, will buy twice. Does anyone need one or two right 155mm cranks? ?

Wow!.. what a bummer!
I've had good luck with my 155 Miranda's so far....??? had many bad pedal strikes.. but so far so good.
Does hope make 155's now? They only had 170's when they first came out.. if so it's a good ( but expensive! 170€!) Option..
BTW, Did you check your motor shaft? A good friend bent his cranks on a bad landing, and later found his motor shaft bent too! And it ruined his motor.. lucky it was under warranty.
Tim

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I have two sets of the Miranda's on my Shimano bikes, they are deftly no the best, but at the time I go them they where the only option.

Tim69

Feb 25, 2019
Israel
I have two sets of the Miranda's on my Shimano bikes, they are deftly no the best, but at the time I go them they where the only option.
True, when I got mine they were the only option.. but I'm happy with them.
Tim

Peko

Sep 23, 2018
Germany
BTW, Did you check your motor shaft? A good friend bent his cranks on a bad landing, and later found his motor shaft bent too! And it ruined his motor.. lucky it was under warranty.

Thanks for the tip.
Motorshafts are fine, no problems with them.

Before the crank broke, I've heard some clicks coming from the crank. I could also feel something while pedalling.
So please be careful, if you can hear some weird noise around there.

FredD

Jun 7, 2020
London
Mate I have some but the quality is not great. The metal is soft and the thread on them has worn. The issue with this is they come loose now and fall off. I'm trying the Hope ones next. Can only speak for my situation of course.
Did you get the Hopes, and if so what do you think? I'm on a Kenevo expert and am considering the 155mm. I see they do a version specifically for the Specialized Turbo bikes....

Barto

Aug 28, 2019
Qld
Did you get the Hopes, and if so what do you think? I'm on a Kenevo expert and am considering the 155mm. I see they do a version specifically for the Specialized Turbo bikes....
Yeah been using Hopes (ebike specific) for a while now and they are awesome. Definitely help with pedal strike and haven't come loose once. Definitely recommend!

FredD

Jun 7, 2020
London
Yeah been using Hopes (ebike specific) for a while now and they are awesome. Definitely help with pedal strike and haven't come loose once. Definitely recommend!
That's all the validation I needed to (secretly) spend another ton of cash

Jaybee59

Subscriber
Jul 1, 2021
Reno
Hello Rob,
I'm in the US...are these the proper Miranda cranks for The 2021 Turbo Levo Expert? Thanks!
or this

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles