ShiTmano EP8 e050 problem with speed reading error solved.

Rawmance

Sep 8, 2022
Finland
Thanks to advice I got on reddit solved the issue by rim mounting the magnet. Original place is disc mount but it doesn't work because the system wasn't designed for it. Had derestricted the bike with the cam magnet placing. Rode 700km then error e050 nothing works anymore no assist. Shitmano said put it to original magnet place and keep riding. 22km ridden nothing happened. Only answer from LBS guy is just keep riding, just repeating what Shitmano told him. Basically just keep riding the bike without assist 😂. Asked on reddit and got advice to rim mount the magnet to clear the error and 1km of riding the error cleared.

The disc rotates too slowly for the sensor it's meant to go by the sensor faster to get a better signal. Glad I didn't have to spend 1000€ for Shitmano's software failure.

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
can anyone decipher this ?

all I can read is:
I ruined my bike by moving a magnet and derestricting
I asked Shimano for help and they told me to put things back where they belonged
bike shop told me the same
reddit came to my rescue with more haxx
shimano cant write software that accommodates my tinkering so they suck

Rawmance

Sep 8, 2022
Finland
So you understood.

Just to twist it out of iron for you.

The magnet doesn't work in the disc because the system is designed to get the signal from a faster moving magnet located closer to the rim. So if you get this error e050 the disc mounted magnet won't clear the error. So this leads to people paying 1-2 thousand € to replace a perfectly functioning motor. As already said by other users of the forum.

It's not that Shitmano can't write software it's the opposite. Shitmano restricts the use of the motor when detecting a certain magnet pattern. So they are bricking their own motors. For me it was 700km. Divide by 3.5 and it's about right on the money 200km in the engine distance reading. So seems to be a set number where the motor decides to commit suicide for no good reason.

Yes a company sucks for bricking their clients motors. Anti-consumer behaviour. ShiTmano

Rawmance

Sep 8, 2022
Finland
coinciding with you modifying the bikes magnet position..
uncanny !

I get it you are just trying to be an asshole at this point. Nothing intelligent to say.

It's not because there is anything wrong with the sensor or magnet signal... It's because Shimano's software will at some point, likely 200km in the internal ODO meter as I've said, shut the engine off. Cleared the error with rim mounted magnet, not the original disc placing. And went right back into the cam derestriction and the motor works without problems. And it will probably work for the next 700km, 200km in the internal ODO meter, until Shimano's code decides again to kill itself.

Are you actually this dense?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Just trying to get my head around this.

Effectively it detected a "calibration error" and locked itself out - because something was wrong.

Shimano and the bike shop both suggested a solution - which was basically putting it all back as normal and riding the bike until it was happy there wasn't a fault and it reset it's error log/cleared the fault code.

You tried this but it didn't work in the time you rode it.

So you moved the magnet to the rim and presumably moved the sensor along the chainstay to line up with it. This cleared the error.

What I don't get is that the wheel speed would be the same where ever the magnet is on the wheel. The only difference will be that the magnet will move faster past the sensor.

Is it possible in this configuration that the magnet ran closer to the sensor than it was when mounted on the disk - keeping in mind that people with spoke mounted magnets (which will also be going past the sensor faster than a rim mounted magnet) can still get the same problem ? Or that the sensor was not correctly aligned with the magnet when the magnet was mounted back on the disk ?

Rawmance

Sep 8, 2022
Finland
What I don't get is that the wheel speed would be the same where ever the magnet is on the wheel. The only difference will be that the magnet will move faster past the sensor.

Is it possible in this configuration that the magnet ran closer to the sensor than it was when mounted on the disk - keeping in mind that people with spoke mounted magnets (which will also be going past the sensor faster than a rim mounted magnet) can still get the same problem ? Or that the sensor was not correctly aligned with the magnet when the magnet was mounted back on the disk ?

Yes exactly. The system isn't designed for the disc mounting but it works the same as e8000 where the magnet is intended to be in the spokes. So moving way faster. Yes the cadence is the same no matter if you mount it rim, spoke or disc.

The sensors intended distance from the magnet is 3-17mm. If the magnet is closer than that it can work but if it's within 1mm I know you will induce an error from personal experience. Still most of the time the sensor will work if the magnet isn't within a hair's length.

The disc mount was the bikes original mounting and everything is attached with screws so there isn't any room for play in that system. So there really isn't any way it could even be mounted there wrong. But with that being said the magnet doesn't swipe the middle of the sensor but is in the corner. I'd assume it's not intended to work like that. The mounting works normally it's just not good enough of a signal to clear the error.

IW78

Oct 12, 2022
Unterfranken/Germany
I had the same problem. Error E050. After several kilometers no function and it could no longer be driven with the motor. Then mount the trick with the sensor on the chainstay and glue the magnet to the rim. turned the wheel and the error was gone! installed the sensor near the brake disc again and made a test drive of 25 kilometers without errors. I read the solution here in this forum because no solution could be found in Germany. Thank you for that Trick

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Is the simple answer here to just use the chainstay sensor with spoke magnet instead of the sensor designed for disc mount?

You can just unplug the rotor sensor and install the chainstay sensor with zipties

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
As an FYI the alignment of the spoke magnet with the chainstay sensor is a common fault that is very easy to resolve but not many people bother checking when a mysterious fault appears.

IW78

Oct 12, 2022
Unterfranken/Germany
I mount the Sensor on the Chainstay for only a few Revelations then i mount it back and everything goes. I buy a new Sensor for 27 Euro and Next time i take this to erase the error. This looks like a fast solving. Only three screws on the Motor and a Magnet with double Side Tape.

BenMessina

Mar 21, 2023
Brisbane
I've had this error twice once when climbing with a mate that was on an acoustic bike and the other time riding with my eight year old, both times going slow for an extended period. The simple fix is make sure your bike is on and showing the 050 error, find a really big hill and bomb down as fast as you can the error should just clear once you get over 30-40kmph. The sensor just needs to see the magnet passing it at a fast enough pace and it should be happy. Hope this helps others with this issue.

Rawmance

Sep 8, 2022
Finland
Is the simple answer here to just use the chainstay sensor with spoke magnet instead of the sensor designed for disc mount?

You can just unplug the rotor sensor and install the chainstay sensor with zipties
Yes and no. Bikes don't come with a spoke magnet anymore so you might not have an option to get one. But if you have it then yes you don't need to do anything extra to reset the error. It becomes a problem when you have a disc mount.

Yes if you have a chainstay magnet you can just use a secondary sensor to clear the error which makes it a lot faster switching between them.

As an FYI the alignment of the spoke magnet with the chainstay sensor is a common fault that is very easy to resolve but not many people bother checking when a mysterious fault appears.
With a disc rotor there is no alignment as it screws into a preset position.

Rawmance

Sep 8, 2022
Finland
I had the same problem. Error E050. After several kilometers no function and it could no longer be driven with the motor. Then mount the trick with the sensor on the chainstay and glue the magnet to the rim. turned the wheel and the error was gone! installed the sensor near the brake disc again and made a test drive of 25 kilometers without errors. I read the solution here in this forum because no solution could be found in Germany. Thank you for that Trick
Glad to hear. It's exactly why I posted here so someone else can find the solution when Shimano refuses to help paying customers. Shit customer service. Shit motor product that kills itself. And the worst range out of all the motors.

Rawmance

Sep 8, 2022
Finland
I've had this error twice once when climbing with a mate that was on an acoustic bike and the other time riding with my eight year old, both times going slow for an extended period. The simple fix is make sure your bike is on and showing the 050 error, find a really big hill and bomb down as fast as you can the error should just clear once you get over 30-40kmph. The sensor just needs to see the magnet passing it at a fast enough pace and it should be happy. Hope this helps others with this issue.
Do you have disc rotor mount or spoke?

skinnyboy

May 25, 2023
Canada
Thanks for posting this Ben.

I've had it come up twice on my Decoy, similar situation to yourself. Very low speed technical riding.

Rep. at YT advised that there are some Decoy magnets not quite tall enough. Not sure if this explains why it has only come up in the only low speed riding in over 2500 km's.

Procedure to reset the fault: power off, power on with no weight on pedals, raise rear wheel and spin it as fast as possible without turning cranks. (According to YT, haven't tried it.)

Cheers.

Last edited:

gbcoke

Aug 28, 2022
italy
I have this issue on my Evil epocalipse and the solution I use is:
while the bike is on -> dismount from the bike -> lift the rear wheel while holding the seat -> press the pedal hard to get the wheel spinning fast enough and it's done!
Takes a few seconds ...

skinnyboy

May 25, 2023
Canada
I have this issue on my Evil epocalipse and the solution I use is:
while the bike is on -> dismount from the bike -> lift the rear wheel while holding the seat -> press the pedal hard to get the wheel spinning fast enough and it's done!
Takes a few seconds ...
Do you experience the fault during low speed riding as well?

Cheers.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles