Shimano XT M8120 caliper availability

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
Hello,

I've suffered from the infamous cracked piston issue. Looking for a new caliper as shimano don't supply parts and I'm not sure about using the aftermarket ones on a brake system. I can't find one for sale anywhere, they are all out of stock

Does anyone know of somewhere that has one for sale - or perhaps a new spare they'd sell?

I can't believe they make pistons out of such a brittle material, madness.

thanks

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
Out of interest, how did you know there was a crack in the piston - any form of noise etc?
well, the brakes werent quite as good as they once were. I had a few problems stopping. I decided to clean the pistons. This one came out fine, but wouldnt go back in all the way, I mucked about for a while with it but it refused. I decided to take the caliper apart in the hope of saving the pistons rather then forcing it, and it came out in 2 pieces! The lower edge inside the caliper had broken off. I hadn't really forced it or anything so I'm a little miffed. Maybe this was the root cause of the lower braking force, the fact it had already broken/seized.

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
Thanks went for Amazon lever and caliper for £132. Mainly because next day delivery and the weather is good so dont want to miss much riding

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Glad you got sorted. I have a spare caliper left from a previous bike. I had bought a new caliper to get going and then claimed under warranty for the one that had failed. I was thinking of selling it, but my current bike has the same brakes and now I know they are hard to get and/or expensive (thanks for that), I will hang onto the spare! :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles