Shimano versus Bosch Motor

brw0513

May 18, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
My local bike shop is having a sale on the JAM2 with Shimano motor. I've pretty much researched myself to a standstill on this bike to conclude it would suit me and my current trail riding expectations.

I visited the shop this morning to ask my last remaining questions. All was going great until the salesman just happened to mention, in passing a Bosche JAM2, his passion for the Bosch motor's eMTB mode and how the Shimano's motor software didn't really have an equivalent control mode.

This will be my first eMTB bike, but I don't want buyers remorse shortly after purchase.

It would be great if any new Shimano motor will be a bolt in replacement and come with an equivalent eMTB mode :) All bases covered then.

But I suspect I will want to take on more challenging trail riding in the near future. I base this on my motorcycle racing experience decades ago where I fully intended to just go out and circulate, but that quickly escalated in pursuit of better my lap times and scaling the rider class grades.

I would have to spend another A$1500 to get a JAM2 with Bosch motor. I don't really want to do that, but the cost difference would slide with enjoyment of ownership.

A gazzillion E8000 motor owners can't be wrong.

But does anyone have any comments at all?

Cbmojo

May 20, 2020
USA
My local bike shop is having a sale on the JAM2 with Shimano motor. I've pretty much researched myself to a standstill on this bike to conclude it would suit me and my current trail riding expectations.

I visited the shop this morning to ask my last remaining questions. All was going great until the salesman just happened to mention, in passing a Bosche JAM2, his passion for the Bosch motor's eMTB mode and how the Shimano's motor software didn't really have an equivalent control mode.

This will be my first eMTB bike, but I don't want buyers remorse shortly after purchase.

It would be great if any new Shimano motor will be a bolt in replacement and come with an equivalent eMTB mode :) All bases covered then.

But I suspect I will want to take on more challenging trail riding in the near future. I base this on my motorcycle racing experience decades ago where I fully intended to just go out and circulate, but that quickly escalated in pursuit of better my lap times and scaling the rider class grades.

I would have to spend another A$1500 to get a JAM2 with Bosch motor. I don't really want to do that, but the cost difference would slide with enjoyment of ownership.

A gazzillion E8000 motor owners can't be wrong.

But does anyone have any comments at all?
I have that bike...is it s pro with di2? either way I love the bike and you wont be disappointed...The Shimano motor is tested and proven...The gen4 bosch is still figuring things out...buy it and don't look back! However, I do recommend de-restricting it

Cbmojo

May 20, 2020
USA
fair...but I am not even sure the battery would get me there...the lighter the better, that's what is great about the Shimano version of the Jam2

brw0513

May 18, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
I have that bike...is it s pro with di2? either way I love the bike and you wont be disappointed...The Shimano motor is tested and proven...The gen4 bosch is still figuring things out...buy it and don't look back! However, I do recommend de-restricting it

The rear derailleur is not Di2. But there is a Di2 junction box under the head stem - 2 ports are used (for the motor mode change buttons?) with 2 spare. I presume the spares could for a Di2 rear derailleur later?

I appreciate the comments about the Shimano motor.

jerry

Dec 22, 2018
Belgium
One thing missing from the Bosch eMTB mode, is a setting where you can tweak the ration between dynamic support and your own power input. Currently, in my very own opinion, it is overly supporting, I'd like to be able to put some more power in myself (and save battery) while keeping the dynamic support. Apart from that, love it.

Intermtb

Jan 5, 2020
USA
I have some experience with Shimano E7000 vs Bosch gen 3. Shimano trail mode on medium vs Bosch gen 3 emtb mode, Shimano is stronger in my opinion, not much, but noticeable. Both are good, both feel natural, very well balance.
Next, I should try Shimano Boost vs Bosch turbo. I think Bosch will win, since it has more max torque.

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
$60 it cost to derestrict the shimano motor to 32kmh, unsure if the Bosch is as easy to do. That alone would sway me towards the shimano. If not derestricting then either would be a win.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The trail mode on the Shimano is similar to the EMTB mode on the Bosch in that it is a reactive mode that tailors the power delivery based on the rider input. Unfortunately the salesman doesn't know his stuff.

BackHol3

Aug 26, 2019
Finland
I have Focus Jam2 9.6 Plus 2019 and shimano e8000. I have no exprience to compare but I'm very pleased how easy the e8000 is to un-destricted. 40eur Stunlocker app and licence and then you'll have bike that's going over 40Km/h. I have been riding here In Finland through every possible weather and e8000 just works(-35C TO +30C), snow, slush, rain, Mud etc. Easy to Un-destrict and realibility is Shimano e8000 strongpoints. There are enough power to me, because I feel the cassette Will take More damage if torque is over 100nm.

Sep 27, 2019
UK
I'm in s similar boat as you trying to work out which way to go between 2 bikes one with Bosch one with Shimano. My current bike has an E8000 which is deristricted. I want another bike which i intend to run as standard and the only thing i dont like with the E8000 motor is the drop off when you hit the £15pm limit. I tried a friends bosch gen 4 powered bike and when the motor hits the limit it seems smoother and easier to get the bike up to around 18/20mph. Has anyone else found that

kafkastan

Aug 11, 2019
Brighton, UK
Personally I'm surprised at how, for many on this thread, derestriction is a factor. Maybe it's just how and where I ride (the hardly vertiginous Sussex Downs), but I simply haven't bothered derestricting my Shimano. It's very rare that I pass 25kph still pedalling. By then, gravity is generally doing its thing.

For me, another factor to consider between Bosch and Shimano is the switches and controllers. I think Bosch Purions are awful, like a Fisher-Price-My-First-Eeb-Controller compared to my Shimano E7000 switch/ E8000 controller setup. Or a massive pointy Kiox on the stem? Maybe it's my propensity to OTB, but no. No, no, no.

Sep 27, 2019
UK
Its pretty flat where i live and getting over 15mph is important if you dont want to die on some of the gap jumps we hit. If thats pushing over the speed limit yourself or derestricting.

As you said when gravitys involved no problems

kafkastan

Aug 11, 2019
Brighton, UK
Its pretty flat where i live and getting over 15mph is important if you dont want to die on some of the gap jumps we hit. If thats pushing over the speed limit yourself or derestricting.
Well, that does sound a good reason! For many new buyers though, I suspect derestriction is a factor mainly because they don't like the concept of having the restriction, but it may not actually affect their riding.

And I include myself in that group. I researched derestriction before I settled on a bike with a Shimano motor, I have STUnlocker on my phone to adjust settings, but now - having had the bike six months - amn't bothered derestricting.

Intermtb

Jan 5, 2020
USA
Shimano call it Trail mode, Bosch call it emtb mode, same thing. both are good, natural feel.
Sales guy just wants to sell more expensive bike.

here in US we have 20mph limit (32km/hr), for most of my riding, 20 mph is enough. but occasionally I'd like to pedal over 20 mph on a long flat boring fire road / tarmac, or to jump a gap, and sometimes 20 mph is not enough to clear a gap. so for some gap jump, I aim to land on the side for safety because I know I usually would case it.

but so far I don't bother to derestrict my Shimano motor. Good to know it is easier to do on Shimano (software derestriction), harder on Bosch, which probably need mechanical derestriction device like planet 3.

as for display and control switch, I like shimano better, more stealthy looking, bosch purion looks bulky and old school.

MartinW148

May 30, 2018
Essex, England
You won't be disappointed with the Shimano, I bought mine a couple of years ago now with the carbon frame as it was (at the time) the lightest full power e-bike on a decent budget. The trail mode is excellent, I find I tend to leave it in trail unless I have a particularly big hill I want to get up quickly.

I will de-restrict mine now (stunlocker) the motor is out of warranty to get the US 20mph, but no trouble with the whole bike over the last 2 years.

I might suggest a change of bars and saddle....

brw0513

May 18, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
It is the best value around here at the moment, and I'm sure it will be a good thing.

Just need to put a few more days between my 20th wedding anniversary and making a A$6000 purchase :)

Pivot

E*POWAH Master
Jun 11, 2020
New Forest, England
$60 it cost to derestrict the shimano motor to 32kmh, unsure if the Bosch is as easy to do. That alone would sway me towards the shimano. If not derestricting then either would be a win.

What is the $60 de-restriction job?
Does it include software or hardware?
Reference would be greatly appreciated.

Pivot

E*POWAH Master
Jun 11, 2020
New Forest, England
Thanks MP! I found it on the Store.
Do you know what versions of FW does it support?
I see only one reference to FW version 4.4.0, and upset user referring to 4.3.2.

MartinW148

May 30, 2018
Essex, England
Thanks MP! I found it on the Store.
Do you know what versions of FW does it support?
I see only one reference to FW version 4.4.0, and upset user referring to 4.3.2.
I've changed to this recently. I downloaded the app first (for about £1.50) This connected without having to change the firmware so upgraded to the full licence to be able to change wheel size and region etc.

Works great

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles