Shimano STEPs and Garmin Forerunner 935

DrChris

Oct 29, 2018
Australia
I've noticed that when I start a ride that I get a notification on my Garmin Forerunner 935 watch that it has synced with with my Shimano STEPs motor.

But I can't see any way on my Garmin 935 of viewing any of the same stats as my Shimano display, or anything remotely related to by eBike.

Has anyone else managed to make use of their Garmin watch with their Shimano Ebike?

All I have found is this:

Garmin® announces SHIMANO STEPS support on Edge® cycling computers to help enhance the eBike riding experience | Garmin International

Thanks
DrChris

If38

Jun 30, 2019
France
Same question here! My Garmin 935 found my Commencal Meta power automatically as a Di2 product. Don't know what stats could I follow? Battery state?

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
Do you both have E8000 display and Di2 gears?
- your watch can probably display the Di2 rear gear number and also the Di2 battery percentage (which if your Di2 is connected to main ebike battery will actually be your main ebike battery percentage). You would need to add some custom fields showing Di2 information (see page 24 of this manual: http://static.garmin.com/pumac/Forerunner935_OM_EN.pdf)

Or E7000 display / EW-EN100 junction instead of display?
- if you have this and it connects to your watch I want to know more :)

If38

Jun 30, 2019
France
I have tried several configuration and the only stats showed on the watch is, as indicated by @mark.ai , the battery state.
For that you have to set up Di2 battery as data fields, it shows actually battery state of the bike.
All other stats works only with Di2 gears.
It could be great if specific data field such as Ebike field could work with shimano steps motors! @JanCapek , any plans to work on that?

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
I've got the E8000 display but I'm not running Di2 gears - I have a Commencal Metapower too.

I have tried several configuration and the only stats showed on the watch is, as indicated by @mark.ai , the battery state.
For that you have to set up Di2 battery as data fields, it shows actually battery state of the bike.
All other stats works only with Di2 gears.

So does this mean that with just E8000 display and no Di2 gears you can still display the ebike battery (as Di2 battery) on your watch? It's really interesting to know if that's the case :)

If38

Jun 30, 2019
France
So does this mean that with just E8000 display and no Di2 gears you can still display the ebike battery (as Di2 battery) on your watch? It's really interesting to know if that's the case :)
Exactly! I can confirm it's working on my Commencal Meta power

Last edited:

JanCapek

Aug 16, 2018
Czech Republic
Hi, I would love to have Shimano motors compatible with my Ebike Apps. But Shimano unfortunately decided to use private communication standard as opposite to open ANT+ LEV. I still may find a way how to make connectivity working with the Shimano using reverse engineering but the result is unsure and it takes a lot of time, so now it is not possible to connect my apps with Shimano.

@mark.ai remind me please, when you are connecting with your EDGE 1030 to EW-EN100 - you are pairing it as Shimano Di2 sensor in your Garmin?

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
@mark.ai remind me please, when you are connecting with your EDGE 1030 to EW-EN100 - you are pairing it as Shimano Di2 sensor in your Garmin?

It connects as an "eBike" not as a normal "Di2" sensor - but lists as "Shimano STEPS" once connected.

I'm still wondering if Bluetooth might be better to try using to connect - I'll probably give it a go when the new CIQ SDK is released.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles